Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ABS Failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:37 PM
SuperLink88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Failure

Saturday, after the Tidewater Sports Car Club meeting that no one here but me attended, I was driving back off base and hit a surprisingly large puddle at 15ish mph. When I hit the breaks my wheels locked up. My ABS was working perfectly fine before the puddle and not at all after. I have no warning lights on the dashboard and after 3 days my brakes still work like regular brakes. Has anyone had this issue before? And if so how did you fix it?

If it helps my 1987 turbo is relatively stock, and the brake pedal is travelling about an inch between no brakes, and full lock up.

Last edited by SuperLink88; 03-30-2009 at 03:22 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:49 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you talking about Sunday's AutoX? I was there.

Don't know about your ABS, but I'd start at the wheels and check the sensors.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:14 PM
SuperLink88
Advanced

Really? What were you driving? I didn't get there till after the morning heats, and I didn't get to participate. I did bring my Turbo though...
Old 03-20-2009, 11:07 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperLink88
Really? What were you driving? I didn't get there till after the morning heats, and I didn't get to participate. I did bring my Turbo though...
Curt was there in a Miata (their LeMons car) with no top or windscreen. Marc Lisner was also there from here.

I got as far as the gate....was scheduled in the 3rd heat.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:42 PM
SuperLink88
Advanced

Oh! The LeMon Turd. I was just saying that I didn't see any other 951's there. Hopefully you will make it past the gate for April's meet. I plan on participating as soon as I replace my worn out control arm bushings and fix my brakes.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:31 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I was the last driver in the LeMons car. My 951 is busy holding down a set of jackstands.

Have you started diagnosing your ABS? Any progress? If it were me, I'd probably remove the ABS system. The only thing ABS is good for, IMO, is to prevent flat spots on your tires if you're a bad driver. And in case you're curious, I have flat spots on my tires

Your car looks really familiar. Does your dad live in Virginia Beach and is your dog an escape artist?
Old 03-21-2009, 07:14 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Generally if a sensor is broken of not working properly, the ABS light will show on the cluster. I had a broken rear sensor and my light was on.

You should still check everything, but its weird the light isn't on...
Old 03-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure this is an ABS failure. I've driven 944s with abs and without and I could only tell the system was activating under very hard braking. I wonder if something went wrong with your proportioning valve? I have had the rear brake part of my master cylinder fail where there was no fluid pressure to the back wheels.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:22 PM
SuperLink88
Advanced

My rear brakes definately still work because my nonexistant brake pads still squeak against my ruined rotors. I haven't had the chance yet to get it up on a lift, but I will tomorrow and I'll tell you what I see. My buddy thinks I might have a rock under one of my brake and that's causing the short brake pedal travel.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:19 AM
SuperLink88
Advanced

Figured it out. I wasn't going fast enough when I hit the brakes. I had to slam on the brakes today at about 60ish mph to avoid hitting an old lady and it worked.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:29 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Truth be told, I've only locked up a front wheel on my turbo w/o ABS, and I was trying to slow from north of 100 to 50 in a hurry. I've never given it that much pedal before.

My S2, I cant remember hearing and feeling the ABS before I wrecked it. However, it was sliding sideways so ABS wouldn't have worked anyways.

Josh- Whats this you say about your rear brakes not working? My rotors are really rough and look as though the pads aren't even touching the rotors. They should be flat and smooth in at least some parts. I had always felt like the car lacked brakes. It surely doesn't compare to my S2 in braking. Its possible for the rears to not work? Care to explain more?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 AM
SuperLink88
Advanced

I think the water knocked it out temporarily.

Quick Reply: ABS Failure