Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I will have to recind my membership...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:04 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phlip
It had darton dry sleeves with JE's, just a baffled pan, modified oil pick-up, and an IJ scraper/ windage pan.
Got the engine out, rod cap and parts of rod that make up rod journal are black, so it did starve number one for oil.
I watched my video and no oil pressure light, which is in plain view, came on till I pushed in the clutch and stopped the crank turning.
I use Amsoil 20/50 series 2000
would you mind posting the video? how was the oil pressure?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:26 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the condolences.
Cant go with a V-8 and stay in NASA GTS.
I'll keep you in mind when I decide what to do, Max, thanks.
Thanks for your offer to Spooly, but I'm gonna need a lot more then a block.
I guess my real decision is do I part the whole thing or install a 2.5 8 valve wich will easily make enough power to stay in GTS 3
or (GASP!) take proceedes from part out and buy an M3, which seems to be the weapon of choice.
I dont know if I will ever know exactly what happened, I wonder if re-drilling the crank could make the common scenario of number 2 rod problems move to number 1.
The bottom end was fresh at the beginning of last seaseon,
this was the 6th weekend since then, so 1 practice, 2 qualifying sessions, and 4 races per weekend times six is how old everything was.
Sure wish I had decided to pull the pan and rod caps before the beginning of this season.
If i keep the car I'll have a few things for sale pretty soon,
If I part the whole thing I'll have a lot of nice stuff for sale
but not till mid summer.
Thats it, I'm done being upset about it , time to fall back, re-group, and attack with superior intelligence, and superior fire power.
Thanks again
Atleast you have a great attitude about it. Sucks regardless.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:28 PM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

OUCH! Shame to see all the hard work go up in smoke.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Wow, hate to see this.
What was you rev limit?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 AM
phlip
Racer

I dont know exactly what oil pressure was but the light comes on under 25 psi. It would come on after race on hot day at idle
when pressure was still over 1 bar.
I'm not real savy when it comes to posting video, but I might be able to get someone to help me, it may be a week or two, but if I can I will.
I was shifting about 6500 or so, shift light comes on at 7k
but I did'nt feel the need to spin the thing any tighter than that.
Still not sure the route I'm going to take yet.
Driving to work this morning I had a strong urge to part out entire car.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:58 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Phlip, very sorry to hear of the demise of your 3.0 engine, I think this is all our worst nightmare. I was thinking about this problem and was wondering why this seems to effect 944 turbos in particular. I do not hear of it happening to any of the 968's regularly tracked and raced here in the UK. Is there a reason why it happens so much to these cars and not the normally aspirated cars? Does the fact that they are in a higher state of tune make such a difference to the bottom end lubrication requirements? Or am I wrong and it happens to all the 944/68 range?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Trucho-951
Pro

It would be interesting to see if any other rod bearings show signs of heat discoloration also.

But I recall that someone here on Rennlist once speculated that perhaps the common problem with losing the #2 rod bearing may have something to do with the fact that the turbo oil feed is tapped into the same region as the #2 crank journal. Hence, would it be possible that the bearings in the front region may experience a drop in local oil pressure? (for example, during simultaneous cornering and turbo spool-up ?).

Now granted in this case it was the #1 journal, but it might be possible that the #1 journal might also be affected by this same problem?

If that theory is correct, would it make sense to install some type of oil pressure “accumulator” between the balance shaft oil tap and the turbo oil inlet?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 PM
phlip
Racer

I've seen NA 44's and 68's have problems with oiling from heavy track use. And I know people who've tracked turbo cars for years and never had any crank or rod oiling issues.
Funny you should mention state of tune, I had just dropped 2 classes and was only making about 260 at the wheels, while last year I was making over 400 at wheels
My turbo oil feed comes from the remote filter housing. Not the balance shaft housing.
I'll have the bottom end completely apart maybe today and will let everyone know what I find.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:56 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 314 Posts

Were you using piston squirters, and a crankshaft vibration damper?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:25 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tone3721
and a crankshaft vibration damper?
What the heck is that?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:26 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

I dont know exactly what oil pressure was but the light comes on under 25 psi. It would come on after race on hot day at idle
when pressure was still over 1 bar.
I'm not real savy when it comes to posting video, but I might be able to get someone to help me, it may be a week or two, but if I can I will.
I was shifting about 6500 or so, shift light comes on at 7k
but I did'nt feel the need to spin the thing any tighter than that.
Still not sure the route I'm going to take yet.
Driving to work this morning I had a strong urge to part out entire car.
did you have an oil temp gauge in the car? if so do you know what your max oil tempreture was when racing?
We live by the rule of changing big ends at the end of each season, on all of our customers and our track cars.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
What the heck is that?
Vibration damper. Its in the pulley, on the frontend of the crank. Dampers harmonics the extra stroke causes. 968 uses a dual mass flywheel, cars w/o DM should use the pulley vibration damper, in theory could lead to crankshaft failure.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...rt%3A%20PULLEY
Old 03-19-2009, 09:18 AM
phlip
Racer

No piston squirters, rods are gun drilled to provide oil to wrist pins.
No vibration damper but this was not related to failure, at least I dont think so.
Got engine fully apart and # 4 rod is badly discolored, it was close to failure, all rod bearings look pretty bad, #4 had copper showing, pulled the girdle and all the mains look fine, I could spin the crank by hand.
Max oil temp that weekend was about 210, I've seen 240 at
college station in august, with 100 ambient, I use a very large mocal cooler for a 911.
I thought about pulling the pan and replacing rod bearings, but ran out of time.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Starved #1 and #4. Interesting.
Best of luck on whatever you build in the future. You have one of the most unusual rod bearing failures I have heard of on here.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:58 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Sorry to hear of what happen to you. These are things I hear that make me wanna turn down my boost for a while
Hope you get her back together soon and back to tracking <----- that is the addiction for me

Quick Reply: I will have to recind my membership...