Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I will have to recind my membership...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Euro951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rod bolt failure or oil related??? It appears that the rod bolts snapped... Who built that engine?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:36 PM
phlip
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately oil related, not rod bolt failure. too much discoloration of rod big ends.
I built the motor myself, I've pulled wrenches for a livin for 25 years
Old 03-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

ouch! really sad to see that. I know that feeling too well...
"too bad" you had done the preventive oiling mods such as tray, baffle and modified pickup.
I would inspect the pickup tube very closely... a small crack there could reduce enough oiling.
Keep us updated!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:15 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phlip
Definately oil related, not rod bolt failure. too much discoloration of rod big ends.
I built the motor myself, I've pulled wrenches for a livin for 25 years
Didn't you say that you had low oil pressure at idle on a regular basis?

TonyG
Old 03-19-2009, 07:40 PM
phlip
Racer

No, I never had low oil pressure. The sender would make the light come on below 25 psi, so after 30 minute race in high ambient temps at idle oil pressure would be about 1 bar, this would make warning light come on but oil pressure was not really low.
Does anyone have one of those diagrams of oil flow?
I cant help but feel tha # 1 and 4 rods not being oiled properly
while the #2 and 3 and the mains were in much better shape is significant.
I was shifting a 6500 this weekend because I detuned the motor a lot to make a different class, but I was shifting at 7k regularly last year, some one on here mentioned that the pumps were prone to cavitate at high RPM, maybe the real damage was done last year and it picked now to let go.
I never heard any rod knock while running the car in the shop,
but it is pretty loud.
I'll tell you this, I'm gonna put a 2.5 8 valve in and its gonna get rod bearings on a very regular basis.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phlip
No, I never had low oil pressure. The sender would make the light come on below 25 psi, so after 30 minute race in high ambient temps at idle oil pressure would be about 1 bar, this would make warning light come on but oil pressure was not really low.
Does anyone have one of those diagrams of oil flow?
I cant help but feel tha # 1 and 4 rods not being oiled properly
while the #2 and 3 and the mains were in much better shape is significant.
I was shifting a 6500 this weekend because I detuned the motor a lot to make a different class, but I was shifting at 7k regularly last year, some one on here mentioned that the pumps were prone to cavitate at high RPM, maybe the real damage was done last year and it picked now to let go.
I never heard any rod knock while running the car in the shop,
but it is pretty loud.
I'll tell you this, I'm gonna put a 2.5 8 valve in and its gonna get rod bearings on a very regular basis.
Do you have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge installed or are you relying on the factory gauge to determine your actual oil pressure?

I ask this because the only time I've seen the oil pressure light flicker at idle was with a worn engine (usually rod/crank bearings). I've never had that condition on any of my 951 engines (even on 105F+ ambient days at the track)

Additionally, the gun drilling of your rods will, to some degree, lower your oil pressure.

Also, do you have an aftermarket oil temp gauge?

Lastly, are the 2-3 rod bearings in spec? What about the other rod bearing... was it in spec?

TonyG
Old 03-19-2009, 10:09 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

I'm with Tony on this one my oil pressure (stock gauge) don't drop below the 4 during track time and idle and pegs the needle at like 1300rpm. That is a 30 min session in the dead heat of summer. Oh yeah also a modded car but still just a 2.5.

Quick Reply: I will have to recind my membership...