Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear hatch noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:05 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Is that something a glass shop could do?
Some glass shops will try, but make you sign that if they break the glass they are not liable, some glass shops will do it, others will say aint no way, aint no how...

I did mine, learned a lot along the way like don't paint the frame, make sure the glass is held TIGHTLY to the frame as the Urethane needs as thin a layer as can be to maximize the bond strength... It just takes patience and care.. Like anything on our cars... I have now done it twice (the first time the urethane wasn't fully cured and was a little thick when I hooked the struts back up.. I ripped all the paint off the frame, took me 1 week to do the first time, 30 minutes the second as the entire seal I put on lifted right off the frame, along with the paint I used to paint the frame...The second time I urethaned, then installed the spoiler and all the trim, and it has been holding very well for two weeks now so I believe I am safe...)

Just take it slow and you would be OK...
Old 03-17-2009, 10:38 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine, learned a lot along the way like don't paint the frame
John - Can you please explain what you mean by "like don't paint the frame" before re-fitting the glass please?

What paint did you use etc - that would help many mate!

Have you read my thread about how to remove the hatch glass from the frame along with PorscheDoc's excellent version also? PITA job but well worth it
Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by future
John - Can you please explain what you mean by "like don't paint the frame" before re-fitting the glass please?

Have you read my thread about how to remove the hatch glass from the frame along with PorscheDoc's excellent version also? PITA job but well worth it
hermm methinks I need to check out those threads.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 PM
future
Banned

I'll dig them out for ya if I can get the bloody RL search to work
Old 03-17-2009, 10:51 PM
future
Banned

John here you go: https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...own-teeth.html

I am in the process of a thread about re-installation which will be up soon
Old 03-17-2009, 11:01 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I spent much time reading, and re-reading all the posts, to include on clarks, and basicly followed:
http://karl.wilen.us/images/944HatchReseal.doc
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ss_repair2.htm
http://www.oz951.com/public/docs/944...lassrepair.doc
http://www.kcws.org/index.php?showtopic=717
http://www.924.org/techsection/12body.htm
I used the above for guidance, but tried to etching primer the frame, and add a top coat of black rattle can, that was my big mistake, the urethane lifted all the paint it touched to the point that the glass lifted right off the frame with the paint attached... The second time around I wire wheeled down to bare metal, applied the urethane on the bare metal, and made sure to re-install all the trim while the window weld was still wet, sealed like a charm, I have the new struts re-attached and have seen no signs of the hatch delaminating again, and no bare metal either...time will tell...I totally agree, major PITA but well worth it...
Old 03-17-2009, 11:08 PM
future
Banned

he second time around I wire wheeled down to bare metal, applied the urethane on the bare metal, and made sure to re-install all the trim while the window weld was still wet, sealed like a charm
PERFECT - That's that I did Yes you are right the urethane simply will lift the good old "rattle can satin black" paint but powder coating is the ultimate way forwards as over time the bare aluminium will oxidise and cause you more lift problems in the future - well if you live in the **** rainy cold weather I do over here in the UK!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:12 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I have a minor issue right now (county came bye the house today and left me a nasty notice to move the car or they will (F'n neighbor)) I plan on a full write up of all my projects to include:

Aftermarket NEW hatch seal on the body
Hacksaw strut inserts..
Euro Fog install with custom wiring loom (turn on 100W fogs with high beams or dash switch, I am using a Euro rear foglight switch in the dash stock location...)
Elephant Racing monoball Control arm bushings (AWESOME)
KLA Monoball upper strut mounts
Ball Joint Rebuild
Water Pump
Timing Belt
CR V1 splitter
PS rack rebuild
PS Pump rebuild
Saikou Michi Catch can install
My search for Aftermarket sunroof seal (still working with vendor)
My attempt at updated tails (I have already installed new OEM tail lights, and am going to try to re-work the old housings with new lenses and LEDs)
Re-finish of my Twist wheels, and new rubber...

All the above I will try to include in one thread, but only after she is back on teh road as I now have a ticking clock (deadline is thursday afternoon to have her back on the ground...) Only parts I am waiting on should be here tomorrow (rear view mirror and wiring plug for the Euro fog light switch...)

I will start my own thread once all is done... Starting with before and after pics with a brief description of procedures used and pit falls to avoid...
Old 03-17-2009, 11:13 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

PERFECT - That's that I did Yes you are right the urethane simply will lift the good old "rattle can satin black" paint but powder coating is the ultimate way forwards as over time the bare aluminium will oxidise and cause you more lift problems in the future - well if you live in the **** rainy cold weather I do over here in the UK!
In hind sight, I would have bead blasted and powder coated... Maybe next time (as if...)
Old 03-18-2009, 01:50 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Some glass shops will try, but make you sign that if they break the glass they are not liable, some glass shops will do it, others will say aint no way, aint no how...

I did mine, learned a lot along the way like don't paint the frame, make sure the glass is held TIGHTLY to the frame as the Urethane needs as thin a layer as can be to maximize the bond strength... It just takes patience and care.. Like anything on our cars... I have now done it twice (the first time the urethane wasn't fully cured and was a little thick when I hooked the struts back up.. I ripped all the paint off the frame, took me 1 week to do the first time, 30 minutes the second as the entire seal I put on lifted right off the frame, along with the paint I used to paint the frame...The second time I urethaned, then installed the spoiler and all the trim, and it has been holding very well for two weeks now so I believe I am safe...)

Just take it slow and you would be OK...
There is a pro glass place about 20minutes from here gina is recomending. I think I might take the car by there and get estimate on the hatch and have them reseal the windshield as well(it needs it BAD).
Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
There is a pro glass place about 20minutes from here gina is recomending. I think I might take the car by there and get estimate on the hatch and have them reseal the windshield as well(it needs it BAD).
By the time you are done you are gonna have a brand new car... Nice *** BTW, I didn't like it at first, but it is kinda growing on me... Unique.... Different... I was thinking about deleting the pads, adn molding the end caps into the bumper... Make the whole thing look more modern, but not the full 968 bumper look as it has been done...LOL
Old 03-18-2009, 01:01 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
By the time you are done you are gonna have a brand new car... Nice *** BTW, I didn't like it at first, but it is kinda growing on me... Unique.... Different... I was thinking about deleting the pads, adn molding the end caps into the bumper... Make the whole thing look more modern, but not the full 968 bumper look as it has been done...LOL
That will look good. I thought about deleteing the bumpers on mine years ago until I just decided to go this route instead. Yes the plan is to completely go through the entire car. Every seal, every piece will be new or atleast renewed.
Its going to go to Jakes Auto body sometime in the future as well to address the misaligned front nose and do a complete respray of the front end. I might also put on some 3M at that point as well.

btw thanks for the quick transaction on the hatch seal. I'll keep you updated when I get it put on.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch noise