Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rear hatch noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 04:05 PM
buxton
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear hatch noise

I have adjusted the rear hatch every way possible and it still rattles. Is there some sort of foam or rubber pad that is supposed to be in the bottom where the latch pins seat? I think the latch pins may be rattling against clamps in the latch.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One side of mine rattles, if I push down on it it makes a little bit of noise. I believe just tightening the post so there is no play would solve this problem. I'm sure a new hatch seal would help too.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:16 PM
eyeball kid
Racer

Hey, mine too and the glass is not delaminating. I used foam pads on the deck lid where the metal was meeting, which I could tell by the wear marks. Works to quite it for awhile until pads come off. Looking for a more permanent solution.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:18 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shoot some sound deadening foam into the pin openings. This gets rid of a tremendous amount of noise.

Take some scrap cardboard and form to the same diameter of the pins and insert in the hole before foaming. Spray a SMALL bit of wd-40 on the outside of the carboard to keep the foam from bonding. Insert....spray foam (keep at least 1-2" from top lip for expansion).....wait 30 minutes/drink 3 beers.....remove inserts....lube pins.....pat yourself on the back.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Hmm great ideas guys!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CPR
Shoot some sound deadening foam into the pin openings. This gets rid of a tremendous amount of noise.

Take some scrap cardboard and form to the same diameter of the pins and insert in the hole before foaming. Spray a SMALL bit of wd-40 on the outside of the carboard to keep the foam from bonding. Insert....spray foam (keep at least 1-2" from top lip for expansion).....wait 30 minutes/drink 3 beers.....remove inserts....lube pins.....pat yourself on the back.
awesome
Old 03-15-2009, 09:20 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CPR

You could also ask real nice for some of the "hatch seal" I have sitting in my living room ($300 for 250 feet...) WAY more than I needed, but was less than the cost of the real seal for both cars, and works just as good if not better than the OEM seal...
Old 03-16-2009, 01:26 AM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

the pins are a pita and must be adjusted individually, a 1/6 of a turn at a time, until it's tight enough to latch and not rattle but not so tight that it won't release.

95sl320 dd
Old 03-16-2009, 01:52 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
You could also ask real nice for some of the "hatch seal" I have sitting in my living room ($300 for 250 feet...) WAY more than I needed, but was less than the cost of the real seal for both cars, and works just as good if not better than the OEM seal...
Purrrrrdy Pull-ease!
Old 03-16-2009, 10:08 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Purrrrrdy Pull-ease!

OMG, I have a lot of this seal...

Top is old, bottom is new
Old 03-16-2009, 10:10 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

OMG, I have a lot of this seal...

Top is old, bottom is new
you got pm
Old 03-17-2009, 02:48 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My rear glass is separating from the frame and it rattles really bad too. I bought stainless steel hatch pins from performance products and have not quite got them adjusted right yet. I just replaced the hatch struts and figured out that if the hatch is not latched well, it will open by itself while cruising down the road...but hey I guess the 944 has a pop up spoiler for downforce.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:47 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chris951
My rear glass is separating from the frame and it rattles really bad too. I bought stainless steel hatch pins from performance products and have not quite got them adjusted right yet. I just replaced the hatch struts and figured out that if the hatch is not latched well, it will open by itself while cruising down the road...but hey I guess the 944 has a pop up spoiler for downforce.
If the glass is delaminating from the frame, all the new struts, seals, and new hardware are not going to make it stop rattling, only resealing the glass to the frame will... Don't ask how I know this, but be careful because you can break the glass, and do not hook up the struts until the new sealant is well cured or it will pull apart again... and you will get to re-seal it again...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:49 PM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

If the glass is delaminating from the frame, all the new struts, seals, and new hardware are not going to make it stop rattling, only resealing the glass to the frame will... Don't ask how I know this, but be careful because you can break the glass, and do not hook up the struts until the new sealant is well cured or it will pull apart again... and you will get to re-seal it again...
Is that something a glass shop could do?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 PM
future
Banned

Patrick (CPR) has a good point as I also did something similar

What I can add is first remove your struts and then take the car for a drive - Then report back and I will tell you what you need to do – I can 99% guarantee you will notice a difference then we can work on a fix.

The struts push (bend) the frame when the hatch is down which causes a lot of the separation issues especially when new struts are installed - remember that the urethane sealer only last for about 10 years until it goes to hard and separates. Renewing the frame seal will unlikely be the issue – Adjusting the pins is another P.I.T.A. issue

Quick Reply: Rear hatch noise