Martini 951

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:21 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Martini 951

Hey all,
Thought I'd share some pictures of my Martini-liveried 951. It's an 86 that I bought from the second owner with every shred of paperwork from the window sticker to the last oil change. It was completely stock when I bought it but I knew right away that it couldn't stay like that. Looking back, maybe I shouldn't have molested such a pristine example. I'll start with the pictures and follow up with the text.

AS PURCHASED

1 YEAR LATER...

Well, that's 2 years of 951 ownership in just a few pictures. The martini stripes are a vinyl kit I picked up from a company in the UK. Far from the highest quality, it absolutely transformed how I envisioned the car. The suspension benefited from M030 struts/shocks and 968 CS sway bars. The wheels are 8.5x19 and 10.5x19 Miro type 371 on Continental Conti-Sports. Handling is phenomenal and the ride isn't much harsher than the stock fuchs I bought the car with.

The engine benefits from 72 lbs/hr fuel injectors, Lindsey Racing fuel rail, K&N filter and airbox delete, Tial wastegate and very soon an Autothority MAF. Goal was reliable, usable horsepower that won't over-strain the motor.

Interior is the "work in progress" right now. The intent is to re-cover the dash, center console and armrest lid in leather from www.928leathershop.com. Heard amazing things about their work and I want to put it to the test. I picked up some M490 doors and rear panels from ebay, replaced the stock speakers with modern-day equivalents and love the sound. The wheel is a Momo fighter, along with a Momo shift ****. Reverse-glow gauges, stainless steel gauge rings, LR A-pillar pod and a VDO boost/vacuum gauge round out the engine info. Finally, my proudest accomplishment was the month-long effort of hand painting the martini stripes onto the center plastic panel. Purchased an entire dash out of a junker on ebay, prepped every plastic part for paint then primered in Testors Flat white enamel. The blues are flat dark blue and flat sky blue, respectively. Red was testors flat red. Laid 3 coats of each color before moving on, with 5 coats of Testors semi-gloss lacquer clear coat. Took over a month of work on the weekends to complete, but it really transforms the interior of the car. Next up is new all-leather seat covers with the martini stripe in the headrest like the 1978 924 Martini edition.

Hope you all like it, comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome. Also, if you live in the Northern Virginia area and are interested in getting together, send me an email (aaron.jl.miller@gmail.com)
Old 03-12-2009, 11:33 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

The wheels and the gauge overlays look like they belong on a honda...

Other than that it looks great! I've never seen anyone do a martini 951..I like it.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:39 PM
VOoDOoGTX
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like everything about that...
Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VOoDOoGTX
i like everything about that...
..aside from the hot air intake.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you are looking to add an Autothority MAF. I just so happen to have one with chips (mapped for the 52lb injectors), 52lb Bosche injectors and a SplitSecond fuel controller that are looking for a new home. Just ordered my new V-Flex software today. Will be pulling it out this weekend.

If interested - send me a PM
Old 03-13-2009, 12:10 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 599 Posts

the interior stripes don't sit well with me, but the external look is fantastic
Old 03-13-2009, 03:28 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

love it, needs rear lowering
Old 03-13-2009, 03:42 AM
Airflite40
Official Rennlist
Borat Impersonator
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ramius665
The engine benefits from K&N filter and airbox delete
FAIL
Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice car. I'd like it better with the Fuchs back on, though. More period correct for the Martini theme, IMHO.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:47 AM
DanR
Drifting

like the exterior look, not sure about the dash but personal choice rules. Exterior looks a professional job, did you do it yourself?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:38 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

The dash stripes are not to my taste at all... but do what makes you feel good.

It LOOKS like there used to be a nice strut-brace in the bay, but it's been removed... That seems like a backward step to me.

Nice job on the exterior livery, no doubt. (...Although I'd have taken the second picture against a slightly "higher-rent" backdrop... -Looking at the first two pictures makes it seem like you spent so much money on the car, you had to move to the "other side of the tracks"! )

Keith
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 AM
purple_rado
Racer

honestly liked it better stock. i wish i had an 86 so i could use fuchs.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:30 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

+1, looked better stock.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I can appreciate your work I have say it looked way better stock.

But all that matters is you like it.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:10 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ramius665
Hey all,
Thought I'd share some pictures of my Martini-liveried 951. It's an 86 that I bought from the second owner with every shred of paperwork from the window sticker to the last oil change. It was completely stock when I bought it but I knew right away that it couldn't stay like that. Looking back, maybe I shouldn't have molested such a pristine example. I'll start with the pictures and follow up with the text.

AS PURCHASED

1 YEAR LATER...

Well, that's 2 years of 951 ownership in just a few pictures. The martini stripes are a vinyl kit I picked up from a company in the UK. Far from the highest quality, it absolutely transformed how I envisioned the car. The suspension benefited from M030 struts/shocks and 968 CS sway bars. The wheels are 8.5x19 and 10.5x19 Miro type 371 on Continental Conti-Sports. Handling is phenomenal and the ride isn't much harsher than the stock fuchs I bought the car with.

The engine benefits from 72 lbs/hr fuel injectors, Lindsey Racing fuel rail, K&N filter and airbox delete, Tial wastegate and very soon an Autothority MAF. Goal was reliable, usable horsepower that won't over-strain the motor.

Interior is the "work in progress" right now. The intent is to re-cover the dash, center console and armrest lid in leather from www.928leathershop.com. Heard amazing things about their work and I want to put it to the test. I picked up some M490 doors and rear panels from ebay, replaced the stock speakers with modern-day equivalents and love the sound. The wheel is a Momo fighter, along with a Momo shift ****. Reverse-glow gauges, stainless steel gauge rings, LR A-pillar pod and a VDO boost/vacuum gauge round out the engine info. Finally, my proudest accomplishment was the month-long effort of hand painting the martini stripes onto the center plastic panel. Purchased an entire dash out of a junker on ebay, prepped every plastic part for paint then primered in Testors Flat white enamel. The blues are flat dark blue and flat sky blue, respectively. Red was testors flat red. Laid 3 coats of each color before moving on, with 5 coats of Testors semi-gloss lacquer clear coat. Took over a month of work on the weekends to complete, but it really transforms the interior of the car. Next up is new all-leather seat covers with the martini stripe in the headrest like the 1978 924 Martini edition.

Hope you all like it, comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome. Also, if you live in the Northern Virginia area and are interested in getting together, send me an email (aaron.jl.miller@gmail.com)
Nice!

I get to DC and Baltimore and Alexandria, VA often.

Quick Reply: Martini 951