Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

924 Hood Modification & 968 Mirror Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:34 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cooling the turbo would be counter productive. Would slow turbo spool.

Davids hood mods are the best looking I've seen. It's what I'll be doing on mine.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:40 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently considered a 924 hood an chose against it as it requires adding hood shocks as the 924 used a different system. It does look good but I also do not like the idea of water dripping onto the headers or turbo/maf area.
Look here it has a nice write-up,
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...opinion-2.html

As for the 968 mirrors, they are not too hard to install. Sunset porsche has the BEST price on a full kit. $300 I believe is what I paid a few months back. Follow this article when installing...
http://www.951motorsports.com/

Hope this helps
Old 02-22-2009, 09:53 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
The underside of the vent in the normal location will interfere with the strut brace mount. You can cut out a portion of the underside of the vent which hangs down, basically a notch to fit around the strut brace mount. I did this on my friends car. Its nothing structural.
I was hoping I could just bring the car to a quality body-shop, and have them cut it out and it would be pretty easy.

Originally Posted by ehall
Winslow's car, the lower black car, has the vent in that area to bring cold air into the area of the turbo, to help keep under hood temps down. I don't know how well that works.
E, although it may not be functional at all, it is that look that I like in addition to the mirrors. Winslow's car was very sharp looking. Thanks for the pics and info. I think if I do this, it is going to be the same as Winslow's.

If anyone else has pics similar to the black car, please post them. And David, if you have some pics do the same. I can't recall what yours looks like but I think it is dual vented?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:12 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
David, if you have some pics do the same. I can't recall what yours looks like but I think it is dual vented?

Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tconn
Cooling the turbo would be counter productive. Would slow turbo spool.

Davids hood mods are the best looking I've seen. It's what I'll be doing on mine.
I'm not sure that I can agree, because I think we're talking about two different subjects.
To be more correct, the venting was used to cool the area, around the turbo, from which a lot of external heat is made. The turbo spool up wouldn't really be affected by that. The vent brings air into the area in an undirected, very general way. It really would only, perhaps, help to reduce heat soak of other components. It would take a heel of a lot of very narrowly focused air, to overcome the heat pouring through the crossover pipe and into the engine.
The idea worked really well for the LeMans cars, and that vent rammed area over both the turbo and the exhaust manifold.
In a street car, you're really only opening a hole to let radiant heat disipate, in city type driving.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:16 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I was hoping I could just bring the car to a quality body-shop, and have them cut it out and it would be pretty easy.

E, although it may not be functional at all, it is that look that I like in addition to the mirrors. Winslow's car was very sharp looking. Thanks for the pics and info. I think if I do this, it is going to be the same as Winslow's.

If anyone else has pics similar to the black car, please post them. And David, if you have some pics do the same. I can't recall what yours looks like but I think it is dual vented?

Coll. If you search Horsepowerfarm, that was his name, though I'm not sure about how it was written, exactly, you should be able to find a post where he talks about where he got those mirrors. I remember the post, but it goes back to '03-ish.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:29 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorax
Part of creating an effective outlet is having a design where the air moving quickly over a lip or angled edge will actually start to pull air out from under the hood

This is what I'm using towards the front of the hood, I will also probably add some louvres towards the rear.

Just though I would add that.
That's that vent from Carbontrix isn't it? I looked at that same one. I sort of wish there were nicer looking ones but as long as it does the job. Some underhood ducting will help a lot too.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I liked those Naca vents too for their looks Rob, but I think they could be counter productive 99 times out of 100 on our cars. I'm sure Chris and the wind tunnel will come up with the correct and functional vents.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:04 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
The underside of the vent in the normal location will interfere with the strut brace mount.
Aribop had a 931 hood on his old 951 and it didn't interfere with his dynatech strut brace.

The hood on the car in this pic is the 931 hood. Also saw it in person when I drove thru ATL on my way home from Maryland. I asked him if it interfered and he said "No, and it provides GREAT cooling to the cruise control unit"

Old 02-23-2009, 12:39 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd

how did you make those?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:39 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 333pg333
That's that vent from Carbontrix isn't it? I looked at that same one. I sort of wish there were nicer looking ones but as long as it does the job. Some underhood ducting will help a lot too.
yep. That's a carbontrix piece. special tool used to have one to vent his IC. I don't know if he still does.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:10 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S

The hood on the car in this pic is the 931 hood. Also saw it in person when I drove thru ATL on my way home from Maryland. I asked him if it interfered and he said "No, and it provides GREAT cooling to the cruise control unit"
I'm sorry but I had to laugh a bit there. I've never heard anyone suggest that their venting was helping out with their cruise control overheating. It just sounds funny to read it in this context.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:11 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
yep. That's a carbontrix piece. special tool used to have one to vent his IC. I don't know if he still does.
I wish there was some nicer looking and possibly more functional aftermarket parts available than this. Still, it should serve it's purpose.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:30 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm sorry but I had to laugh a bit there. I've never heard anyone suggest that their venting was helping out with their cruise control overheating. It just sounds funny to read it in this context.
aribop was being facetious when he made that statement, I feel certain.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:19 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I wish there was some nicer looking and possibly more functional aftermarket parts available than this. Still, it should serve it's purpose.
Yeah, the piece is fugly in conjunction with all the stuff on my car, but it's functional.

Quick Reply: 924 Hood Modification & 968 Mirror Ideas