Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

924 Hood Modification & 968 Mirror Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Ok, I thought Darwin was quoting someone else. Still a funny comment to have up your sleeve.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:16 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
I'm not sure that I can agree, because I think we're talking about two different subjects.
To be more correct, the venting was used to cool the area, around the turbo, from which a lot of external heat is made. The turbo spool up wouldn't really be affected by that. The vent brings air into the area in an undirected, very general way. It really would only, perhaps, help to reduce heat soak of other components. It would take a heel of a lot of very narrowly focused air, to overcome the heat pouring through the crossover pipe and into the engine.
The idea worked really well for the LeMans cars, and that vent rammed area over both the turbo and the exhaust manifold.
In a street car, you're really only opening a hole to let radiant heat disipate, in city type driving.
Sorry to disagree but I think you have your facts wrong.
The scoop on the 924GTS/LeMans fed air through the intercooler.
The NACA duct on the 924T fed air over the ducting from the turbo to the intake. At rest it allowed air to escape
from the engine bay.
On a 951 the naca duct or 924GTS scoop would act to cool the headers. The faster you go more cool air would be forced into the area of the headers cooling them.
Hotter exaust gas = quicker turbo spool.

For the 951 a scoop of some sort is the wrong way to go.
The car would benefit more from a vent allowing air out,
like the 968 TRS vent or like David Floyds mods.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:24 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I definitely agree with this,
"For the 951 a scoop of some sort is the wrong way to go.
The car would benefit more from a vent allowing air out,
like the 968 TRS vent or like David Floyds mods."

I'll have to go back and look at the LeMans cars again. The four inlet holes pulled air through the IC, as I understood it. The hood scoop wouldn't make sense for that purpose, due to it's location, but you may be right, that they did that.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:28 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

The four inlet holes let more air into the rad, like the 924T.
The intercooler on the GTS was mounted on top of the engine believe it or not. (I'm looking at a pic)
Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tconn
The four inlet holes let more air into the rad, like the 924T.
The intercooler on the GTS was mounted on top of the engine believe it or not. (I'm looking at a pic)
Are you sure about the intercooler location? I have a few pictures of 924GTS engines and non of which have the top mount. Also the GTS had the fixed front headlights which was a result of the front mount intercooler. I am pretty sure only the GT used the top mount.

This is a GT, note the headlights.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 PM
future
Banned

Here are a few pictures on a 924 hood on a 951:

Here are some better pics of Beni's heat extraction vents:

Old 02-23-2009, 06:45 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Maybe I have the GTS and GT swapped. Which has the hood scoop? The pics I have of the car with the scoop also has the top mount intercooler.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Maybe I have the GTS and GT swapped. Which has the hood scoop? The pics I have of the car with the scoop also has the top mount intercooler.
All of them used the same hood scoop.

Here is some info from 924.Org regarding the GTS..

"The hood scoop was retained for better engine compartment cooling. The fixed headlights were necessary to accommodate the larger intercooler, which was moved to the front."
Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well, the GTP also had the hood scoop but definitely didn't have the IC on top. That was the Le Mans winning car.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:00 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

My bad.... but I still stand by my point about forcing cooling air over the headers.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:06 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry to disagree but I think you have your facts wrong.
The scoop on the 924GTS/LeMans fed air through the intercooler.
The NACA duct on the 924T fed air over the ducting from the turbo to the intake. At rest it allowed air to escape
The NACA duct shoots directly onto the exhaust manifold of a 931. The intake piping is more forward. It's purpose was to help keep the turbo cool do to it's placement and it's oil only cartridge in order to lengthen it's already somewhat short lifespan.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

My bad.... but I still stand by my point about forcing cooling air over the headers.
I do agree with you about blowing ambient air over the headers. Counter productive on a turbo car.

I personally think the best method to do any type of hood venting are what David Floyd did or the D9 vents. I think heat extraction will be more useful than any extra air being crammed in personally. I would like to add vents to my own car, but my main concern is water draining onto the test port and near the headers (basically the spots behind the strut towers.. Not a big deal on a track car, but mine is daily driven from spring through fall.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Yes water dripping into the engine bay has also been a concern of mine.
Has anyone noted this being a problem?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Here was my original plan for adding hood louvers. My friend John (WormHole) told me about these, he has them on his track car.

http://www.hoodlouvers.com/products.html

I was thinking about putting the medium sized, standard vents possibly right over the strut towers, and close to the edge of the hood if possible, or basically as far away from the headers and test port while still being symmetrical on both sides. Of course i would paint them to match the car, the only thing is the stainless steel rivets will stand out like a sore thumb i think. This can be remedied by repainting the entire hood with the rivets in place..but i would want to avoid having to repaint the hood if possible..although it could use a repaint! The other downside is i will need to cutout my very good condition silver hood pad.. .
Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Here was my original plan for adding hood louvers. My friend John (WormHole) told me about these, he has them on his track car.

http://www.hoodlouvers.com/products.html

I was thinking about putting the medium sized, standard vents possibly right over the strut towers, and close to the edge of the hood if possible, or basically as far away from the headers and test port while still being symmetrical on both sides. Of course i would paint them to match the car, the only thing is the stainless steel rivets will stand out like a sore thumb i think. The other downside is i will need to cutout my very good condition silver hood pad.. .
The test plug... you could do what I did. Cut the head off the test plug, and get a eneric sealed 3 wire connector from radioshack. Wire in the power wire for your maf, and take the two wires that display the blink codes and wire those in as well. On the other side of the connector, use a plastic box with an LED and wire it to those two wires.

You now have a quck disconnect power source for your MAF, and a blink tester built into the harness. It's also watertight so that would no longer be an issue.

Quick Reply: 924 Hood Modification & 968 Mirror Ideas