Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need Oil Catch Can...which one??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also buy an adaptor on Jeggs and run a hose back to the intake off of the Lindsey can.

That is my plan. The idea is not mine Special Tool did years back. Not sure if he is still running this setup.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonlp
The Lindsey one is not a catch can, it's a breather tank. It gets vented to atmosphere instead of being contained
That's not entirely true. It depends on the attachment at the top -- it can be a filter or a receptacle for a hose and functions as a catch can.

However, I don't like the overall quality of the can, and the placement of it is not as good as for the Saiku product.

Get the Saiku can. It's awesome build quality, and I've never heard any complaints. Plus, both Sean (azmi951) and I know the owner; he's a super stand-up guy.

Here's the only picture of my engine bay I could find; notice the placement of the can -- right over the headers. In this picture I also didn't have the can totally hooked up yet.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Collin, Can you tell us specifically what's wrong with overall quality of our breather tank so I can pass that along to Stef's so they can improve the product?

It looks like they copied our choice of locations, so I don't understand your placement comment either. Can you explain the difference?
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 02-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

After reading your comment a couple more times, and looking at the picture I have concluded that that's our tank on your engine and not the other one? The filter is not ours, so I didn't recognize it if it is our tank. We offer a remote mounted version of our breather tank kit with 3 feet of hose allowing you to put it where you want for those not wanting it mounted on the cam box.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:53 PM
nicco
Track Day

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Saikou Michi user myself, very happy with it and it works as advertised. I have it routed in the same spot as ISPC did it in that post. Fits perfectly and did not even need to drill any holes or anything.
+1, me too

Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I'm going to install my SM catchcan later today. It's a nice piece.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 PM
bjd34
Intermediate

I am a Saikou Michi user as well. Works well for me.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:04 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I see thats a thread from a couple of years back...anyone still using this catch-can?? if so how has it mantained...How do I order this?
Got mine a while back, works great and easy to mount. Just google saikou michi.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:29 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Is it possible to mount the Lindsey catch can/breather in the space where the washer fluid tank previously was?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yes. Get the universal kit.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:23 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by drift a 944
Negative on the dirtyness. And the only vapor smell is if you are hovering over the bottle while the engine is running.
I actually have it mounted on the other side of the motor near the brake master cylinder (this is on the n/a car, not the turbo car). It traps a decent amount of oil but never makes the other parts around it dirty.

One thing I am a little confused/concerned about is that there has been a bit of water showing up in the bottle lately. Would this just be from condensation? Every time I check the oil, it seems to be very clean and non-milkshake.

Sorry for the threadjack!
It's the weather. It's just condensation. Our cars aren't used to cold temps, down here.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using a slightly modified Lindsey can for years with great results, just added an "old school" Moroso #68781

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-question.html
Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I want to do this too, but I'm keeping my stock airbox, so I don't think it'll fit where most people are mounting their Saikoumichi. I'd like to mount it where the power steering reservoir goes - I'm going to be changing to a manual rack and that looks like it would a good use of the stock bracket. I've sent them an e-mail asking if they can make a custom can - if they can't, then I guess I'll make my own.
The following users liked this post:
michaelmount123 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
After reading your comment a couple more times, and looking at the picture I have concluded that that's our tank on your engine and not the other one? The filter is not ours, so I didn't recognize it if it is our tank. We offer a remote mounted version of our breather tank kit with 3 feet of hose allowing you to put it where you want for those not wanting it mounted on the cam box.

I appreciate the response! When I bought the car, it had the setup you see in the picture. The PO said that the can was a LR unit, and he also had the filter "head" for the can, but was currently outfitted with the head that can accept a hose. However, the can was, for some reason, not completely hooked up.

My biggest gripe was the location of the can. I like that it's out of the way, but I don't like that it's right over the headers. In order for evaporated oil to re-nucleate, heat is our enemy. I haven't looked myself, but is there a brillo-type material inside the can? The brillo material acts as a great site for the heterogeneous nucleation required for recondensation of the oil. Additionally, I was initially getting some oil residue between the head and the body of the can, as if oil was leaking out of it.

That said, the can appears to be doing a fine enough job that I'm not going to be spending the money on another one. I've made a few simple modifications to the can and how it's oriented so that it's no longer emptying out onto the headers (which are wrapped -- yikes!). For some reason, I think the PO accidentally broke the valve on the bottom so now the can just drains out. Not your fault, but it was something more I had to deal with.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Synth
Instructor

"heterogeneous nucleation" ?!?

Whoa! Triple word score on that one!

Quick Reply: Need Oil Catch Can...which one??