Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need Oil Catch Can...which one??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 PM
44turbo_sergio
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Oil Catch Can...which one??

I'm in need of an oil catch can...I would like to buy one that wouldn't make a mess under the hood and that would also look good and not that out of place under the hood...if you have any pics of yours etc. their welcome!!

really like the one from SFR but bums me that I have to take the windshield fluid out...is there any way of moving this or putting in a smaller tank for the windshield fluid?? Other than that I like it a lot, looks sharp

i could also go with a cheaper one...and make a custom fit anywhere else...need advice on this one!!!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Saikou michi is the one I am thinking about gettting.
http://saikoumichi.com/951_page.htm

this is how I'd like to mount it
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...e-routing.html
Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

+1^^, Unfortunately I din't go that route wish I had. I will eventually.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:37 PM
44turbo_sergio
Instructor

I see thats a thread from a couple of years back...anyone still using this catch-can?? if so how has it mantained...How do I order this?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 PM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Not sure about in PR, but a auto parts store should have a selection of universal windshield washer pumps. You can then search ebay or auto stores for a small washer fluid bottle. I have heard that Mid 80's Ford Mustangs have very small washer bottles. You can then mount this down low and still use the SFR catch can.

Adding fluid would be a pain in the rear, but itd be hidden and functional. Just a thought...
Old 02-02-2009, 11:00 PM
44turbo_sergio
Instructor

Yea that'd be a good idea..I'd just have to look into some auto parts to see how much that play would be...but what I'm seeing is that the saikou michi one that Keithr726 says does the same as what the SFR catch can's info says...y takes the vapors and returns what can...the rest stays in the bottle..only that the SFR's is bigger, but also more expensive...What I see is that they have the same caractersitics, correct me if Im wrong?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

+1 Saikou michi
Old 02-02-2009, 11:16 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased one of the Lindsey Racing catch cans used from someone, for a good price. I'll post some pics once it arrives and when I get it mounted up.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:20 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2009, 11:29 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drift a 944
I just purchased one of the Lindsey Racing catch cans used from someone, for a good price. I'll post some pics once it arrives and when I get it mounted up.
The Lindsey one is not a catch can, it's a breather tank. It gets vented to atmosphere instead of being contained
Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Saikou Michi user myself, very happy with it and it works as advertised. I have it routed in the same spot as ISPC did it in that post. Fits perfectly and did not even need to drill any holes or anything.

If you decide to go with the SFR can, look into getting a washer fluid bag. Alot of the old muscle cars had these rather than tanks and i have been strongly thinking about putting something together to work on my car. Would be nice to clear up the extra space under the hood. I have one of those huge washer fluid tanks on my car that extends the height of the engine bay. It holds 1.5 gallons which is a bit overkill i think .
Old 02-02-2009, 11:33 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonlp
The Lindsey one is not a catch can, it's a breather tank. It gets vented to atmosphere instead of being contained
According to the clear gatorade bottle I currently have hooked up, it will act as both!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 44turbo_sergio
I see thats a thread from a couple of years back...anyone still using this catch-can?? if so how has it mantained...How do I order this?
I'm one of the ones in that original Saikou michi thread. Still running it, it works fine although I'm not trapping a whole lot of oil, which is (hopefully) more an indication of the health of my car that it is any failing on the part of the catch can. What oil I do catch is pretty gunky, with it mounted on the front of the car and the drain it's pretty simple to clean.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drift a 944
According to the clear gatorade bottle I currently have hooked up, it will act as both!
Great! Do you ever find your hoses or cam tower gunky or dirty? Any vapor smell?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:53 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonlp
Great! Do you ever find your hoses or cam tower gunky or dirty? Any vapor smell?
Negative on the dirtyness. And the only vapor smell is if you are hovering over the bottle while the engine is running.
I actually have it mounted on the other side of the motor near the brake master cylinder (this is on the n/a car, not the turbo car). It traps a decent amount of oil but never makes the other parts around it dirty.

One thing I am a little confused/concerned about is that there has been a bit of water showing up in the bottle lately. Would this just be from condensation? Every time I check the oil, it seems to be very clean and non-milkshake.

Sorry for the threadjack!

Quick Reply: Need Oil Catch Can...which one??