Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:23 AM
ebs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem

Hi

While my car was in the shop a little while back, having some major work done, including change of the RMS seal and gearbox seals, the clutch was removed and checked. I was told that whilst it was substantially worn it still had some life in it, and as my car does very little mileage each year, it was recommended that it be put back in rather than replaced. We also changed the gearbox fluid to a synthetic fluid (car had always run non-synthetic until then).

Before the above work was done, the clutch always operated properly and smoothly. However since the work has been done, I have noticed the clutch is 'grabbing' or tends to 'drag' after pedal is fully released. I would not say it isslipping - its not a case of you accelerate and then engine revs without putting power done - but more that its very slow to release and therefore engine speed needs to be built up more slowly. This was particularly the case in the lower gears, but seems to also be an issue now in 3rd and 4th gear. 5th gear seems fine. Eventually once it has stopped grabbing, full power can generally be used without slip in any gear.

The shops initial explanation was that the change to synthetic gearbox fluid is making the clutch work harder, hence the dragging / grabbing feel. Could this be the case? Or is it just a worn clutch that they really should have replaced (which I doubt as it was working perfectly before the work)?

Thanks
Ebs

Last edited by ebs; 01-10-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:52 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the clutch was accessed but not replaced then, wow that shops is horrible. A clutch on a 951 is difficult and normally the RMS is done as a "while you're in there" procedure during a clutch change. In this case it should have been the opposite. Get the clutch replaced, at a different shop.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:00 AM
BackInBlack
Advanced

Sounds like BS to me. Sounds more like a hydraulic cylinder bypassing fluid or not bled properly.

And I agree with Kieth...why would anyone go to the trouble to remove a worn clutch without replacing it given the labor task?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:22 AM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

Definitely should have done the clutch while you were in there. And I'd agree that it sounds like the slave cylinder needs to be properly bled because there's air in the line causing the hydraulic pressure to not be correct.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:44 AM
ebs
Instructor

Thanks for the advice about the slave cylinder. Being a conical type slaves cylinder, my understanding is the best way to bleed it is to pump the clutch pedal, so I pumped it for 10 minutes and it is much much better, but not 100%. Looks like I need to keep pumping it...is there any other way to bleed a conical type slave cylinder?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:38 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Motive Power Bleeder will save you time and much frustration. Do a web search, try Paragon or any other Porsche supplier.
http://www.paragon-products.com/pors...uids_s/314.htm
Old 01-18-2009, 01:07 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so you depress the clutch but it doesnt release the clutch all the way? could be the clutch fork is cracked and spreading open- already replaced one that did that. Gradually wouldnt release the clutch until it finally wouldnt work at all. Just an idea- also could be the slave hanging up etc..
Old 01-19-2009, 07:57 AM
ebs
Instructor

thanks

Quick Reply: Clutch problem