944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Winter project under way. Updated 01/07

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 04:32 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

if anyone's ever set upon building one of these to show us the wtf part of the 944, this could be it.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:40 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Umm..come again...in English!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:07 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he meant the RX-7 hood as my roof. And its not going. Its here for good!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:27 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by ehall
What brand and model are they? TR has some issues with dropping inventory. I've called Damon and emailed him and can't even get a return email about a pair of tires that I need. you'd think he'd ATLEAST want to contact me to sell me something else. Very disappointed.
TR Motorsports. F2.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
+ 1 on the wheel questions and t.b.h. similar response time from TR in the past.

Is that a faint blue frost on the rims, reflection, or protective plastic covering Bruce? Looks a nice wheel btw.
Sorry to see the RX7 hood ornament go hehehe.
Protective plastic covering.

Oh no. RX7 Hood is staying. I was just closing out all my post looking for a hood because I have the RX7 installed now. And other old looking for parts threads that don't need to be floating around anymore.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:25 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
I think he meant the RX-7 hood as my roof.

noooooo not that... but rather the likelihood of this car going more towards the wtf category of fast.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:27 PM
95ONE
Race Car

OOOH.. got it. Thank you and I hope so.

Last event I went to at TWS, my friend that came along said that all the cars going down the straight made a lot of noise and went close to the same speed. But he said he heard me coming everytime and could actually SEE he car accelerating the whole way down. Made me feel pretty accomplished. I hope for more of the same, but with 100+ more horsepower and lighter in all the correct areas. Faster iIn the braking and turning department as well.

Moving along. I got the Dry sump pan done this weekend and most of the Cut out in the Cross Frame. I rushed the welds a bit to get done. But they're good enough for race wear. I also changed out a clutch in my 4wd Subara and that took up much of my weekend, so not a lot of work done the old 951 this weekend. and yeah, I lowered the Steering rack too. I had to cut out a huge recess for the vertical part of it that attaches to the shaft. And had to lengthen the Steering rod. Tons of welding here and some bump steer work is ahead of me now. First I must move the arms up and inch. Install the '87 stuff, then probably move on to finishing the underside of the crossmember for more strengthening. Then the Steel K frame for the LS engine mounts. Then hopefully the engine will be complete and i can start test ftting with transmission and other parts in place. Then remove all that. Finish out the dry sump Mounting and pedal box. Then paint the interior and engine bay. THEN I do the brakes and wheels. So much to go. anyway, here are some more pics.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

dang, thats quite some progress!
Old 10-24-2011, 11:48 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Thank you!. I put so much work in to that crossmember it's ridiculous. I should have just made a tubular one at this point.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:28 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

O.K. I found your thread, I need more coffee LOL. Great work. What exactly did you do to the X-member? I modify the X-member for my basic V-8 swap kit and just line-bore the control arm mount holes 3/4" upwards, then machine 3/4" X-member spacers. I also trim the passenger side rack boss. The oil pan is then modded on drivers side. I am considering chopping the X-member in halves and welding in exactly 0.5" spacer so the Moroso pan doesn't even need the pan modded to clear the boss.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:00 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by xschop
O.K. I found your thread, I need more coffee LOL. Great work. What exactly did you do to the X-member? I modify the X-member for my basic V-8 swap kit and just line-bore the control arm mount holes 3/4" upwards, then machine 3/4" X-member spacers. I also trim the passenger side rack boss. The oil pan is then modded on drivers side. I am considering chopping the X-member in halves and welding in exactly 0.5" spacer so the Moroso pan doesn't even need the pan modded to clear the boss.
A ridiculous amount of work is represented in that pic of the crossmember.That crossmember has been cut down where the pan will be , exactly 1.25" Shorter. The steering rack has been moved lower about 1.5" which required cutting the mounting tabs and re-positioning them lower. The passenger side mounting tab has been moved WAY left. Look at the pics and then look at yours. You will see all the crazy differences. Look at the engine mount areas. Look any different? Also, the large part of the rack that points at the firewall has been SUNK into the crossmember. A HUGE amount of cutting/welding is underneath that thing. I was thinking about grinding and Sanblasting it to look the same again, and no one would ever notice the differences at first glance. Never. But EVERYTHING has been moved. The steering shaft had to be extended also. Now I have to add a bump steer kit to re align the tie rods properly. No big deal on that though.

It's THESE details that make people wonder why my car acts so differently than theirs when we have the same mods! (they also take an enormous amount of time money and effort for very little gain when accounted for individually) Now realize I have done these/made these details happen well over 100 different places. It adds up to a LArge difference in handling and performance. Although visually, no one really sees it. Same theory goes into my weight schedule for the car and engine building. Our parts may be the same. But the build details most likely aren't even close. EDIT: This reads pompous, but It was meant to thwart the usual, "Our cars are identical, but why is yours lighter?" sort of questions.

Last edited by 95ONE; 12-04-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:06 PM
95ONE
Race Car

On another note. The Frame is so much stiffer now. The car lift arms are a little off. One sits higher than the other. Only by about 1 1/2" The car doesnt touch the lowest arm. It doesn't flex down to it anymore. Its sits exactly that 1 1/2" higher. No flex. Saw that this weekend. It made me smile.

Last edited by 95ONE; 12-04-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:10 PM
xschop
Drifting

I saw that you repositioned the control arm holes, then changed your mind, or did you do this for lowering the car later? I dropped mine by 1.25" (32mm) and redesigned my bump steer kit from 4340 blocks and used the early male threaded outer tie-rods....works perfect. I see what you're saying about the rack boss moving way left. The power rack has a banjo bolt in the way that the manual rack does not.

Scratch that last sentence....I see you are running the power rack.... I'm on the fence about modding the X-member any more than I have, but moving that passenger rack boss will be easier than chopping and refusing the X-member....again, nice work.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:36 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I saw that you repositioned the control arm holes, then changed your mind, or did you do this for lowering the car later?
Those are for later. I can't use them until I do all the fab work to raise the other A arm mounting point. And that also. Is a hell of a lot of work. So they are there until I can use them.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:51 PM
xschop
Drifting

So in your custom X-member pic there are no X-member spacers?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:23 PM
95ONE
Race Car

So in your custom X-member pic there are no X-member spacers?
No spacers and other parts have been cut off. Leaves more room for the engine. Beside, this cross member will be used in conjunction with another cross member. A pic will explain best when It is built.

In the mean time. I have installed the 87 and later suspension. THANK YOU LART! Below are two good comparison pics. I will take some pics of the wider wheels on there a little later tonight. But that one will be much cooler .. You'll see.

Before. .. Horrible camera phone pic that's a little distorted up top, but still almost the exact same angle as the recent one.

Ooops.. deleted the pics by accident. Same for below.

And after the swap to the full late model suspension.

Accidentally deleted pic.

Last edited by 95ONE; 08-17-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Winter project under way. Updated 01/07