Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A black cayman s passed me on 114 (TX) last night..

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 05:37 AM
piperporsche180944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of the sensitivity of 928 owners, you should have seen my friends face when my 1987 951 (Autothority Stage 2 Chip Set) smoked his 1981 928 that was modified and made a Mustang dyno proven 270rwhp. We rolled from various speeds and I smoked him every time. He stopped talking trash about my "lesser" 951 especially when I sold it and picked up a 951S that Im modifying to 350-400rwhp.

About the Cayman S, they are beautiful cars and quick. A friend and I were driving along in his bolt on 2006 LS2 GTO that makes 360rwhp and a 2009 Cayman S pulls along side. Instinctively, my friend, the GM guy says "Is it even worth racing, I mean its only a Cayman S". After rolling down the windows and signaling the other gentleman to reduce speed to 40mph and honk 3 times a race was set! Long story short, Im positive the 2009 Cayman S that beat up on a LS2 GTO was stock.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

“Refined” cars are for girly men….

http://www.blogthings.com/howgirlyareyouquiz/

• You get manicures regularly.
• There's no way you would ever go camping.
• You own at least five pairs of heels.
• You dye your hair.
• You at least wear a little mascara or lip gloss to the gym.
• You have something pink in your room, car, and cube at work.
• You love the Gilmore Girls.
• You go shopping at least once a week (groceries don't count!)
• You have so many beauty products in your bathroom you can hardly find the sink.
• You aren't athletic, unless you count yoga and pilates.
• You aren't ashamed of singing along to Britney Spears and Hilary Duff.
• You get very scared when watching horror movies.
• You are a sucker for puppies, babies, and kittens.
• You would never ever shop at Hot Topic.
• You don't have many guy friends.
• You love to read gossip magazines.
• You sometimes cry for no reason.
• No matter what you weigh, you have the occasional day when you feel fat.
• You like to be tan - whether it's fake or real.
• You take care of your feet and toes all year round.
• You own a ton of jewelry - bracelets, necklaces, and rings.
• You often will wear more than one outfit in a day, if the mood strikes.
• You practically have your cell phone attached to your ear.
• You drive a Boxster or a Caymen.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Don't worry. If he started to play with you, he would have simulated the top speed of the Caymen and then you would have really cried. They are a bit faster then the 944t crowd wants to know.. Trust me, I had an 07' and an 08'

see for yourself..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vzX_97Lp50k

unless you have some mods, don't bother. No offense of course. I like a good kill like the next guy.
BTW – didn’t anybody else notice the end of the in car video? At an indicated 180+ the signs sure seemed to be passing by at about 60…
Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

So…I don’t know why this gets debated every so often….but I’ll play!

I get to drive a lot of different cars at the track and I personally find that Porsche and BMW have, unfortunately for me, decided to market to the lowest common denominator. You can optimistically call it ‘refinement’ – I call it dumbing down.

Yeah, the Caymen is quite a good performer. I would like one as a daily driver. Same goes for the BMW M3, various 911s and many other high end modern cars. Are they involving rides that reward skill with performance? No. They are preprogrammed toasters that go very fast…some go very, very fast. Chimpanzees can drive them fast – I know, I have had some students that qualify for that role!

But do they give you really good feedback? Or really good road feel? Nope – that’s considered ‘unrefined’ and the general public does not like that….

If you look at my sig you will see the old Shelby GT350 – the king of ‘unrefined’ pleasure. Loud, stiff and mean to the uneducated…but more fun than a Sack of Confused Weasels. You can steer it with the steering wheel, the brake pedal or the gas pedal….or all three at the same time.

The 951 is a more refined ride that he old GT350 but it still has some of the same characteristics. It is easier to drive but still rewards skilled driving with great feedback. Back in the 80’s many critics said it has the best steering feel ever…some still agree.

It used to be that Porsche and BWM made the cars that they felt were the best possible performance cars and you had to be able to drive well to get the most out of them – and they rewarded you for it!…now they strive to make bankers, stockbrokers and suburban hairdressers more comfortable.

Since when does a real sports car need cup holders…it’s the first sign that things are going downhill…

Booo…..
Old 06-02-2010, 08:57 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Ha, there's something funny and curious about unearthing old threads and wondering where people have taken off to?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Ha, there's something funny and curious about unearthing old threads and wondering where people have taken off to?
Funny, I didn’t see the date…but I was feeling Deja vu
Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
So…I don’t know why this gets debated every so often….but I’ll play!

I get to drive a lot of different cars at the track and I personally find that Porsche and BMW have, unfortunately for me, decided to market to the lowest common denominator. You can optimistically call it ‘refinement’ – I call it dumbing down.

Yeah, the Caymen is quite a good performer. I would like one as a daily driver. Same goes for the BMW M3, various 911s and many other high end modern cars. Are they involving rides that reward skill with performance? No. They are preprogrammed toasters that go very fast…some go very, very fast. Chimpanzees can drive them fast – I know, I have had some students that qualify for that role!

But do they give you really good feedback? Or really good road feel? Nope – that’s considered ‘unrefined’ and the general public does not like that….

If you look at my sig you will see the old Shelby GT350 – the king of ‘unrefined’ pleasure. Loud, stiff and mean to the uneducated…but more fun than a Sack of Confused Weasels. You can steer it with the steering wheel, the brake pedal or the gas pedal….or all three at the same time.

The 951 is a more refined ride that he old GT350 but it still has some of the same characteristics. It is easier to drive but still rewards skilled driving with great feedback. Back in the 80’s many critics said it has the best steering feel ever…some still agree.

It used to be that Porsche and BWM made the cars that they felt were the best possible performance cars and you had to be able to drive well to get the most out of them – and they rewarded you for it!…now they strive to make bankers, stockbrokers and suburban hairdressers more comfortable.

Since when does a real sports car need cup holders…it’s the first sign that things are going downhill…

Booo…..
Well - now that the thread is good and awake I agree completely Chris. At the last DE at Road Atlanta there were some Factory Porsche drivers taking folks around the track in Boxter Spyders. The car was very quick and zipped around like it was on rails but I couldn't help but wonder how much of that was the driver and how much was the car's electronics stepping in.

Likewise there was a Nissian GTR there driving like a lunatic and the car - I mean the driver- managed to stay on the track even though he really shouldn't have....
Old 06-02-2010, 10:48 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well theres' feedback and in the case of the shelby 350 there is playing the electric guitar facing the out put speaker amp up full ball . wanga wange screech howl
Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
well theres' feedback and in the case of the shelby 350 there is playing the electric guitar facing the out put speaker amp up full ball . wanga wange screech howl
Turned up to 11.. cuz 11 is beter than 10... only normal amps go to 10... but mens amps goto 11!!!!!

But then there is playing the same guitar, with your face, while sitting ON the amps speaker....
Old 06-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Just make sure there are tubes in that amp...hot glowing tubes....

Quick Reply: A black cayman s passed me on 114 (TX) last night..