Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A black cayman s passed me on 114 (TX) last night..

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
what is the timing belt maintenance interval between the Cayman and the 951?
They do not use timing belts.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:27 AM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 314 Posts

The cayman is definitely more refined. But I still think porsche made cars better in the 80's. The technology of the new cars is definitely beyond the 80's. In that regard they are definitely more refined. As far as design, uniqueness, styling, and quality, I still tend to think they did it better in the 80's. Todays Porsche's seem a bit watered down, especially in regards to styling, and design. Still beautiful cars by all means. I think Porsche tries to blend with the crowd more so these days for the sake of mass sales. Where as being a smaller company in the 80's it was more about pushing the envelope, thinking outside the box, without worrying as much about selling tons..they didnt even have the facility to keep up with more really, afaik. Ultimately they focused less on mass appeal, and more on quality, and doing what they felt like. I think thats my .04 cents or so now.

And for me the older cars have more character. Of course, I have to admit I am a staunch enthusiast, and tend to be biased.
As far as new cars go, the caymans are overpriced IMO. Why not go with a R32 or WRX sti, for about half the cash, both putting down similar numbers. But twice as much cash because its mid engine, and says Porsche on it??? Hell even the 350z is comparable. Again the real difference being mid engine. Why pay so much more for mid engine when similar weight balance can be had with a front engine configuration. Pivot points near the same and still 50/50, what difference does it make where the engine is??
Old 01-04-2009, 02:39 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the money, a well modified 350Z is hard to beat if you like it, and they're pretty cheap these days. I drove a friend's and it felt similar to the 951, but more low end torque and also more "refined". As far as worrying about selling tons of cars though, wasn't that exactly the purpose of the 924 and 944 series? From what I've read, they were what saved Porsche from going bankrupt in the '80's. Don't get me wrong, I love my 951 and think it's one of the nicest looking Porsches of the past, but there is also something to be said for newer technology. It's too bad that it's so hard to tell the difference between a Boxster and a 99X from a distance. At least the Cayman looks a little different.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:23 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

yeah. i'm sorry but he Caymen is beauty, fast and refined in every aspect. I would take that car over anything. However, I am older.. and I fell in love with the 951 since 1986 and I can't loose that passion.. but the Caymen appeals to me more over than any 911 for it's mid-engine design and it's difference between the boxter which I hate. More to the point, I listen to 80's music, and feel and move to the 80's idea and the era from which it came. On top of that, it's a crispy creme donut to know that the modified 951's outclass most Porsches and performance cars of today.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:25 AM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

after re-reading my post. I realize i love both
Old 01-04-2009, 05:48 AM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tone3721
The cayman is definitely more refined. But I still think porsche made cars better in the 80's. The technology of the new cars is definitely beyond the 80's. In that regard they are definitely more refined. As far as design, uniqueness, styling, and quality, I still tend to think they did it better in the 80's. Todays Porsche's seem a bit watered down, especially in regards to styling, and design. Still beautiful cars by all means. I think Porsche tries to blend with the crowd more so these days for the sake of mass sales. Where as being a smaller company in the 80's it was more about pushing the envelope, thinking outside the box, without worrying as much about selling tons..they didnt even have the facility to keep up with more really, afaik. Ultimately they focused less on mass appeal, and more on quality, and doing what they felt like. I think thats my .04 cents or so now.

And for me the older cars have more character. Of course, I have to admit I am a staunch enthusiast, and tend to be biased.
As far as new cars go, the caymans are overpriced IMO. Why not go with a R32 or WRX sti, for about half the cash, both putting down similar numbers. But twice as much cash because its mid engine, and says Porsche on it??? Hell even the 350z is comparable. Again the real difference being mid engine. Why pay so much more for mid engine when similar weight balance can be had with a front engine configuration. Pivot points near the same and still 50/50, what difference does it make where the engine is??
Most people that buy caymans do because they can. With the cayman, not only are you getting a porsche badge (pulls bitches) the braking, ride, engineering is better than a 350z or golf. IMHO
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2009, 08:09 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello kevincnc I am not getting into a conversation with you about what p-cars I own that is not what is thread is about(just know I have been around these cars for at least 16 years now), and no the Cayenne CTTS in the pic is not mine it's just a pic I got from a friend. Im not trying to say the 951 is not a nice car and I still own and like mine but there is a time where the cars age just well, shall I say more of a trouble to drive everyday then really have fun with.Yes I also grew up with the 951 as my favorite car but DAMN you have to keep up with the times and move on ....

And for lart I think you would b alittle more surprised in the performance of a cayenne CTTS have you been in one or drove one??

Costas
Old 01-04-2009, 01:01 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kevincnc
As far as worrying about selling tons of cars though, wasn't that exactly the purpose of the 924 and 944 series? From what I've read, they were what saved Porsche from going bankrupt in the '80's.
Yes, but afaik, They still didnt have the capacity to pump anywhere close to the numbers they do now. The 924 was just the beginning of this. Well the 914 too really. These days, it is even more so. I mean hell man, Porsche is making an SUV! The panamera? Definitely more watered down IMO. I have to admit tho, Im seriously considering a cayenne in the next few months, instead of a newer range rover. Would be pretty cool to pull my Porsche with a Porsche. (grunt grunt). Cant see much difference between it and a touareg at this point tho.
Except the price tag.

Oh yeah the new Porsche will get you more tail. I dont buy my cars for how much tail i can get tho. Which the 951 has gotten very little of. Maybe once. Even then tho it was just icing on the cake.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:40 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason Porsche "tames" down the Cayman is becuase it would absolutely destroy a 911 (or 996,997, whatever you prefer). With a proper turbo (aftermarket @ 11k-14k) and LSD this car would pretty much own anything out there for the dollar.

I also love the 951, but the Cayman is the new "951"....
Old 01-04-2009, 01:47 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
The reason Porsche "tames" down the Cayman is becuase it would absolutely destroy a 911 (or 996,997, whatever you prefer). With a proper turbo (aftermarket @ 11k-14k) and LSD this car would pretty much own anything out there for the dollar.

I also love the 951, but the Cayman is the new "951"....
Absolutely, same reason they tamed down the 944/968's.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:58 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by tone3721
Absolutely, same reason they tamed down the 944/968's.
well, I am not sure if I would go that far. The '44's and '68's weren't tamed. They were about as modified as Porsche could make them without the increased potential for mechanical failure, bugs and significantly increased cost.

The Cayman has been tamed by Porsche so as not to make their 911 customers come to a cheaper product. Without any adverse effect to the longevity, drivability and reliability the Cayman can be tweaked to out perform its' big brother. Easily.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:10 PM
tone3721
Rennlist Member

The 968 was certainly tamed down. Only ~15 turbos ever made. In the late 80's the 944's were running with air cooled 930's. Compared to the 930's of the time, they didnt have much on the 951. In that sense Id say they were tamed down. They couldve easily made our cars 300hp stock, and retained reliability, which would be more than the 280hp or so 930.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:51 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
Hello kevincnc I am not getting into a conversation with you about what p-cars I own that is not what is thread is about(just know I have been around these cars for at least 16 years now), and no the Cayenne CTTS in the pic is not mine it's just a pic I got from a friend. Im not trying to say the 951 is not a nice car and I still own and like mine but there is a time where the cars age just well, shall I say more of a trouble to drive everyday then really have fun with.Yes I also grew up with the 951 as my favorite car but DAMN you have to keep up with the times and move on ....

And for lart I think you would b alittle more surprised in the performance of a cayenne CTTS have you been in one or drove one??

Costas

About 2 years ago I was in my simulator by the off ramp to Diamond bar blvd. on the 60fwy and I simulated a run with a Gayenne TTS, you have to remember that the GTTS weights in excess of 5000lbs and has a frontal area more than twice of the 951, never even came close. Just like the 500hp hemi dodge truck lot's of TQ and HP but the weight and the frontal area becomes a brick after 80mph. Come on you guys should know about this are you guys little kids?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
well, I am not sure if I would go that far. The '44's and '68's weren't tamed. They were about as modified as Porsche could make them without the increased potential for mechanical failure, bugs and significantly increased cost.
Wow, Patrick yo need to go back and re-read a few more Porsche history volumes, that's so entirely innacurate.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by lart951
Wow, Patrick yo need to go back and re-read a few more Porsche history volumes, that's so entirely innacurate.
What I was getting at is that Porsche did not dial these down...they just didn't modify them to their full potential. This is in part to the fact that they were uber competitive already for the era they were created in.

The Cayman prototypes were creating really impressive HP numbers, that rivaled if not surpassed the 911's. They had to be dialed back to stay under that model.

Sorry for the confusion.

Quick Reply: A black cayman s passed me on 114 (TX) last night..