Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tester needed for new product!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tester needed for new product!

We have received in our latest offering for the 944 5 speed crowd, our new drive shaft which is made of a much stronger material than the stock versions.

We have noticed that many drive shafts are showing their age with damage of the front pilot bearing snout and splines being prevalent in most used drive shafts. In other words, these drive shafts are getting older and going away.

So we are looking for a tester who would like to install it in their car to test it out. Would like it to go into a racer making some good HP/TQ numbers and which will be actively raced for the next few seasons.

The drive shaft will come already installed in a rebuilt torque tube (TT) in a set of our Super Bearings. Thinking of just using three Super Bearings as a test of that premise too. We firmly believe three Super Bearings will work just fine since Porsche used three in most 928 TTs and sometimes just two. We believe four bearing units in 944 TTs is a bit of an overkill. But will install four if the tester so chooses.

Tester will have to be willing to buy the Super Bearings, pay for shipping of the TT and return their TT to us as a core after our TT is installed. The cost of the new drive shaft and TT rebuild is free!

The tester will also have to be willing to give us feedback on any quibbles they might encounter during the installation and work with us if any issues arise. We have checked all the measurements so there shouldn't be any fitment issues but one never knows until you get in there.

Thought to offer this here first since our products were well received initially on this forum.

Cheers,
Old 05-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Good idea - my car has stock power (and I replaced the bearings a few years ago) - otherwise I'd be interested.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:26 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Just as an extension of this concept, what do we think about strengthening driveline components along the way without doing all of them? In other words can changing one of these to a stronger unit place too much strain on other parts, some that you would rather not break like gears, LSDs etc ?
I salute suppliers that continue to make improved parts for our cars by way of disclaimer too.

...just asking...
Old 05-28-2010, 09:56 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll test!

I'm probably not the right candidate for this round of testing. I actively race, but most of it is autocross and it will be another month or so before my car is back together. But this will be an awesome deal for someone! Constantine is great to work with too!

I'd like to know more about the new drive shaft. I have a machined 800M output shaft that I installed in a T56 in my Formula since that's the weak link in those. Ballpark price?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:02 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Bucket loads of power

Hey Constantine.

Just left you a phone message then I stumbled on this post.

I have a shaft and tube coming to you from Oklahoma Foreign. Just payed for it Today.

If you can't find anyone for the torque tube I'm game.

I tend to drive my car pretty dam hard with a track day once and a while. I hope that you can find a race car if not though......

I will have a similar 3.0L to what LR just posted "Usable Power" post for one of their customers.
Around 450hp at 15 psi.
The specs are similar to my engine. 3.0L, Stage 3 head, I'm going to go with an ITB intake and 5 inch exhaust, full lightened crank, Super 75 with T4 hot housing, solid lifters with I think a more aggresive cam than the engine posted, stage 2 intercooler. Not sure what headers yet, stock replacement, Broadfoot or if LR will build me some. I also have a source up here for custom tunned headers. Anyhoooooo.

Anyhow if you don't have anyone gitty up

Good luck
Jason
Old 05-28-2010, 01:17 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Glad to see this come to life, and Constantine is definitely a great guy to work with!
Old 05-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Just as an extension of this concept, what do we think about strengthening driveline components along the way without doing all of them? In other words can changing one of these to a stronger unit place too much strain on other parts, some that you would rather not break like gears, LSDs etc ?
I salute suppliers that continue to make improved parts for our cars by way of disclaimer too.

...just asking...
Hi Patrick,

Good question.

Usually the drive shaft is not viewed as a "fuse" in the drive line between the engine and transmission.

These "fuses" are usually considered to be the clutch for 5 speeds and the torque converter for automatics. Tires can also be considered as fuses for the drive line by breaking their grip before something in the drive line breaks. Increasing the clutch parameters or moving to stickier tires will start placing more of the loads onto the rest of the drive line parts, especially if you also increase engine output.

Also, since the new drive shafts are copies of the original units, they will still have some twist to them as the originals. Problems could come up if the drive shaft was changed to a hollow tube type drive shaft where more of the shock loads would be transmitted into the transmission.

That's a short overview and HTH.

Cheers,
Old 05-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CurtP
I'll test!

I'm probably not the right candidate for this round of testing. I actively race, but most of it is autocross and it will be another month or so before my car is back together. But this will be an awesome deal for someone! Constantine is great to work with too!

I'd like to know more about the new drive shaft. I have a machined 800M output shaft that I installed in a T56 in my Formula since that's the weak link in those. Ballpark price?
Hi Curt!

We would really like a road racer for these tests to test the new drive shaft. Although we don't really have any doubts about it holding up.

Do you mean 300M for your output shaft? We can make 300M drive shafts if needed too. But the ones we are making are another more common material but much stronger than the original.

Pricing is still being worked on.

Thanks for the kind words and for your help testing out our 924/944/968 Super Bearings. Your help and input was/is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Last edited by Black Sea RD; 05-29-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gruhsy
Hey Constantine.

Just left you a phone message then I stumbled on this post.

I have a shaft and tube coming to you from Oklahoma Foreign. Just payed for it Today.

If you can't find anyone for the torque tube I'm game.

I tend to drive my car pretty dam hard with a track day once and a while. I hope that you can find a race car if not though......

I will have a similar 3.0L to what LR just posted "Usable Power" post for one of their customers.
Around 450hp at 15 psi.
The specs are similar to my engine. 3.0L, Stage 3 head, I'm going to go with an ITB intake and 5 inch exhaust, full lightened crank, Super 75 with T4 hot housing, solid lifters with I think a more aggresive cam than the engine posted, stage 2 intercooler. Not sure what headers yet, stock replacement, Broadfoot or if LR will build me some. I also have a source up here for custom tunned headers. Anyhoooooo.

Anyhow if you don't have anyone gitty up

Good luck
Jason
Hi Jason,

We will be on the look out for the TT from OK Foreign! Thanks also for the calls letting us know about your hunt for a TT and your continued interest in having us rebuild you a TT.

We are looking forward to being involved in your fantastic sounding project and we will send you back a TT worthy of being used in it!

Thanks also for the offer but we really are looking for a road racer to test this drive shaft out.

Kind regards,

Last edited by Black Sea RD; 05-29-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:10 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I wonder if anyone with an LS1 would be a good candidate? Lots of torque? too much maybe?

I would love to be the tester, but completion date is about 6 months out at this point. Thinking...

OH>> oh.. Weston Dillard puts more miles on his Turbo 3.0 liter than anyone I know. Club racer AND driving Instructor. REALLY knows what he's doing. Hes THE Perfect Candidate. - ( IM SURE THERE ARE MORE OF YOU, IM JUST COMING UP WITH HIM FIRST HERE. I LOVE YOU ALL. ) Look him up.. he's exactly what you are looking for. Here in Texas.. Austin Area.

Find Weston HERE
Old 05-29-2010, 07:32 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also be willing to guinea pig my car for this effort... but I would need to buy the bearings first...

I use my 951 for daily driver duty, roughly 150 miles a day round trip... and I like to drive it every day I can... I am pulling the motor in the next couple of days for a full rebuild, and adding some new bits "while I am in there" ... and I do enjoy a spirited drive now and again, but have to date NOT been on a track, so I may not be your guy!

it would be less than 12 more bolts to pull the TT out and then it would be a matter of me buying the bearings and shipping you my TT...
Old 05-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 95ONE
I wonder if anyone with an LS1 would be a good candidate? Lots of torque? too much maybe?

I would love to be the tester, but completion date is about 6 months out at this point. Thinking...

OH>> oh.. Weston Dillard puts more miles on his Turbo 3.0 liter than anyone I know. Club racer AND driving Instructor. REALLY knows what he's doing. Hes THE Perfect Candidate. - ( IM SURE THERE ARE MORE OF YOU, IM JUST COMING UP WITH HIM FIRST HERE. I LOVE YOU ALL. ) Look him up.. he's exactly what you are looking for. Here in Texas.. Austin Area.

Find Weston HERE
LS1 HP/TQ would be great and there won't be a concern with the drive shaft holding up. But really like to test it in a road course track environment.

Thanks for the point to Mr. Dillard. Since he would have to tear apart his car, he might not be a willing candidate. But you never know...

Thanks again!
Old 05-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I would also be willing to guinea pig my car for this effort... but I would need to buy the bearings first...

I use my 951 for daily driver duty, roughly 150 miles a day round trip... and I like to drive it every day I can... I am pulling the motor in the next couple of days for a full rebuild, and adding some new bits "while I am in there" ... and I do enjoy a spirited drive now and again, but have to date NOT been on a track, so I may not be your guy!

it would be less than 12 more bolts to pull the TT out and then it would be a matter of me buying the bearings and shipping you my TT...

Hi John,

Appreciate the offer and thoughts but testing in a track environment is our goal since we know the drive shaft will hold up just fine for road use.

In fact we're really not concerned about it on track either but our customers would like to know it has held up fine on the track too.

Thanks again for the offer!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:11 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmmm… I am going to put the 3.1l 16v turbo into the track car in a little while and I haven’t gotten around to the torque tube yet!

Would you really like to torture test it?
Shoot me an email –chris@944enhancement.com if you would like to figure something out!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Chris,

Will do!

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Tester needed for new product!