Originally Posted by dillon410021
I thought about doing that
Go for it!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good!
But yea it is way to cold for me out there and I had to work in it today...

And no I am no longer doing a rebuild, I am going to live with the coolant loss right now, but I will be replacing the chipset with the Lindsey Instant RWHP kit, right now I am collecting the parts to rebuild the engine in the Camaro to make it more boost friendly.

I dont want to do any major engine work on the 951 b/c right now that is my daily so maybe summer can bring me some more money to work on the engine. The only real project I have right now is to reseal the powersteering rack and the CV boot on the passenger side. I also am replacing the carpet and dash with black units and doing a rear seat delete with some walmart black speaker carpet (for now). Eventually I want to build a lockable storage area back there.

Also while the carpet is out I will be putting some sound deadener in the rear seat area, and replacing the rear speakers with some Sony units, and clean up the wiring. I also need to figure out why my drivers side turn signal keeps intermittently working .

I hope to do all this over my 10 day Xmas break, also during this time period, I will be laying a 30x72 concrete pad in the new garage!!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:14 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951
Looks good!
But yea it is way to cold for me out there and I had to work in it today...

And no I am no longer doing a rebuild, I am going to live with the coolant loss right now, but I will be replacing the chipset with the Lindsey Instant RWHP kit, right now I am collecting the parts to rebuild the engine in the Camaro to make it more boost friendly.

I dont want to do any major engine work on the 951 b/c right now that is my daily so maybe summer can bring me some more money to work on the engine. The only real project I have right now is to reseal the powersteering rack and the CV boot on the passenger side. I also am replacing the carpet and dash with black units and doing a rear seat delete with some walmart black speaker carpet (for now). Eventually I want to build a lockable storage area back there.

Also while the carpet is out I will be putting some sound deadener in the rear seat area, and replacing the rear speakers with some Sony units, and clean up the wiring. I also need to figure out why my drivers side turn signal keeps intermittently working .

I hope to do all this over my 10 day Xmas break, also during this time period, I will be laying a 30x72 concrete pad in the new garage!!
Very cool!

Well I was trying to help you with the extra cash situaiton. lol

Maybe when you turn 18 you can be my local mechanic and I can just drop it at your house with a blank check and a wish list of things to do to my car.

Which Lindsey kit are you going with?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

I am only going with the Instant kit, it comes with a chip set, FPR, and the LBE, as well as some wastegate shims, the car currently has old (1998) Authority Chipset, and it is running a little lean on the upper RPMs.

Also I am adding a new boost gauge and Ammeter on the Lindsey Gauge pillar pod.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:07 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any ducting to bring the air from the front of the car into where the filter is?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aribop
Do you have any ducting to bring the air from the front of the car into where the filter is?
Yes, not sure if you can see well in the pic, but I have a 3" pipe running from the MAF through the hole in the fender inside the hood to the outside right over the wheel well.

Actually right now I have the end of the pipe wrapped in filter, not a tradition cone filter. I havn't noticed any drop in airflow but a tremendous drop in intake temps.

And as dyno tests have shown it is better, if need be, to flow less COLD air than more HOT air.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:06 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I am only going with the Instant kit, it comes with a chip set, FPR, and the LBE, as well as some wastegate shims, the car currently has old (1998) Authority Chipset, and it is running a little lean on the upper RPMs.

Also I am adding a new boost gauge and Ammeter on the Lindsey Gauge pillar pod.
Very cool! Yes those older chips all seemed to lean out up top.

You should noticed a big difference with that kit and then can run 15psi.

Also, do you still have the cat in?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Yes I still have the cat in...
I was contemplating removing it and temporarily placing a piece of exhaust pipe in there for now.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:36 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Yes I still have the cat in...
I was contemplating removing it and temporarily placing a piece of exhaust pipe in there for now.
Do it! Trust me, if you get the kit from Lindsey and get the cat out at the same time your first test drive will feel like a totally different car.

Before I was able to get my 3" cat back I just cut the cat out with zaw/cutter and clamped in a piece of 3" straight pipe.

If you can weld even better.

I have an electric zaw saw and compressor cut off tool if you don't have them.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:11 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

how do you keep from sucking in water when it rains? (or is it a fair weather friend only?)
Old 12-26-2008, 01:06 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by superloaf
how do you keep from sucking in water when it rains? (or is it a fair weather friend only?)
The only time I had an issue was in the middle of a down pour and was only in higher rpms there was a slight hesitation.

So if not heavy rains or just non high revs if caught out in a down pour, there have been no issues.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Acetylene
Pro

That old gray car still runnin? Whats up man? How have you been in the land of the ice and snow?
Old 12-29-2008, 01:56 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
The only time I had an issue was in the middle of a down pour and was only in higher rpms there was a slight hesitation.

So if not heavy rains or just non high revs if caught out in a down pour, there have been no issues.

the reason i ask is that there was an issue with 944's sucking in water and destroying engines back in the '80's. i haven't heard of it happening recently but do remember the warnings. i guess the water can't be compressed and literally breaks the engine.

am i the only one who remembers this?
Old 12-29-2008, 10:00 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by superloaf
the reason i ask is that there was an issue with 944's sucking in water and destroying engines back in the '80's. i haven't heard of it happening recently but do remember the warnings. i guess the water can't be compressed and literally breaks the engine.

am i the only one who remembers this?
Yes, I remember those stories. I think that was an issue of driving through a very deep puddle and MASS amounts of water being sucked in.

Also, this is not a wide open pipe, I have it wrapped in air filter element so moisture can get in in heavy rain, but not a large amount of water.

Think kind of like a coffee filter effect. Only a few drops get in even when a large amount of water is suddenly put in.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Acetylene
That old gray car still runnin? Whats up man? How have you been in the land of the ice and snow?
Hey!!!! You still in O town?

I heard you sold your red 951 to Elliott?

Mine is running but always some little issue that pops up hare and there. I have new wheels (18x8/18x10) and new 90mm MAF and digital A/F piggy back and EBC.

And yes, it LOVES the cold air up here.

We have been in D.C. area for about a year now. Wife is working with DoD govt. contractor and I am working on my Masters. Real estate and mortgage was not the place to be for us anymore, obviously.

Quick Reply: Loving my true Cold Air Intake