Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Interest in replica 944 Turbo Cup FRP hoods

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:12 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in a fg hood. My personal preference would be one that utilizes the stock latch, since I don't really want to ditch my windshield fluid reservoir on the p/s, and the mounting tab would also be a tough fit on the d/s with my MAF air filter. I would definitely want mine to include those heat extraction vents...it's incredible how hot it gets under the hood after a session on the track. Also, I would REALLY like the hood to be pre-drilled for the windshield washer nozzles.

Any chance of seeing something like that become available?
Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by IanM
I'm interested in a fg hood. My personal preference would be one that utilizes the stock latch, since I don't really want to ditch my windshield fluid reservoir on the p/s, and the mounting tab would also be a tough fit on the d/s with my MAF air filter.?
Didnt think about the MAF fitment...that might be a problem for some of us (mine is a tight fit behind the headlight/fender). Any good pictures of the entire engine bay of a turbo cup head on?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Didnt think about the MAF fitment...that might be a problem for some of us (mine is a tight fit behind the headlight/fender). Any good pictures of the entire engine bay of a turbo cup head on?
The Cup hood pin latches work with the stock headlight washer tank in place. I don't think it would be in the way of a MAF setup either as they are actually not very big. I will try to see if I can find my picture of the hood up.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:59 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Sam, here is the best picture I have at the moment but as you can see the catch for the hood pin is not very big at all.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2008, 04:21 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Right, so they're actually much smaller than you imagine from the other pics Colin. Ok I can see them working for almost all applications.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

While those brackets are quite small, I don't think they'll work with the Aerocatch latches... those latches take up more real estate, so they must be located a little more "in-board" - which will require the hood pin brackets to stick out farther.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:47 AM
rluciano
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, Mark how much would #2 with heat extraction vents incorporated cost? I'd love to have that.
Thanks,
Richard

Originally Posted by future
Partrick - Yes mate the AeroCatch can be run unlocked at all time.

Mike - We will ensure that the fit and finish is 100% perfect so we will run with bottom mount for a cleaner flush fit Yes you are right they do supply non-locking also but as they can be run locked or unlocked it's work going with the locking version.

GT37VGT - No cutting will be required and we will mould the holes in the FRP Hood

Thanks for the Heads-Up mate

OK, Just to clarify the project ...

There are 2 projects we are developing here:

1. A replica of the OEM Cup hood/bonnet including hood pins and brackets
2. Produce a FRP hood/bonnet which incorporates our heat extraction vents (flush fitting) and also the inclusion of the AeroCatch locking latches plus mounting brackets.

First we will do the OEM style Cup Hood design as this is primarily for Colin's Cup replica car and once that is complete then we will move onto the second hood/bonnet project.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 12-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by white924s
would the replica cup hood fit a non-turbo car (like, maybe say a 924S)? I might be interested in that for my car (although I'm not building a 951 cup replica or anything cool like that, unfortunately, I just want to shave some weight)

Yes.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a great initiative. But the only thing I feel is interesting is a full package with heat extraction (with a more extreme option) and wind deflector.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

The cup hoods use the stock factory center latch mechanism. But since the fiberglass is not as rigid as steel, the corner pin mounts are also necessary to ensure that the front edges of the hood do not catch too much air at high speeds, and tear the hood off.

Seeing how much my hood shakes and flexes on the track at high speeds, I would never run the car without using the center latch and corner pins.

I did find that there is a little interefence with newer windshield washer reservoirs. Somewhere between 88 and 89, the shape of the washer reservoir changed as did the type and location of the small electric pump. 87s and older reservoirs are no problem. 89s may have some slight fitment problems with the fender mounted bracket. Not sure which style of reservoir were used on 88s.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:50 AM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean a 968 Turbo S style scoop behind the intercooler? That would be cool.
Hi Brian – Beni is actually working on something like this at the moment ... Updates will follow if it works out. But I was referring to incorporating the louvered vents as seen on Beni’s car except they will be flush fitting (moulded in).

Would the replica cup hood fit a non-turbo car (like, maybe say a 924S)?

Also, is there any chance you might in the future make brake duct scoops to fit in the fog light openings of 924/944n/a euro bumpers?
Hi Mike – We have already started to develop products for the 924’s and early 944’s so as and when developments are finished I will update. We are just moving into new premises over in Switzerland at the moment (pic below but not our cars) so development work is a bit on the slow side at the moment.

The 924’s have a strong track and race following with a dedicated race series over here in the UK. Here is a link to the official website for more details mate: http://www.porscheracingdrivers.co.uk/

Ian – We will cater for your question later in 2009 ... Have already been asked for this several time before.

The Cup hood pin latches work with the stock headlight washer tank in place. I don't think it would be in the way of a MAF setup either as they are actually not very big. I will try to see if I can find my picture of the hood up.
Thanks Colin – Sam has sent me a picture of his engine bay and his current location and size of his cone filter leaves very little room for the brackets but if he runs with our GTS kit then this provides more room for his MAF and then the brackets will fit for the Cup hood design. He would seriously struggle with the AeroCatch design though as these need to be located closer inboard from the sides of the hood/bonnet.

While those brackets are quite small, I don't think they'll work with the Aerocatch latches... those latches take up more real estate, so they must be located a little more "in-board" - which will require the hood pin brackets to stick out farther.
Van you are very right mate, answers covered above.

So, Mark how much would #2 with heat extraction vents incorporated cost? I'd love to have that.
Hi Richard – We will not have prices until the product(s) are completed … Need to time out all development, material costs etc but should have this info shortly in early New Year.

This is a great initiative. But the only thing I feel is interesting is a full package with heat extraction (with a more extreme option) and wind deflector.
Duke - My sentiments entirely mate

The cup hoods use the stock factory center latch mechanism. But since the fiberglass is not as rigid as steel, the corner pin mounts are also necessary to ensure that the front edges of the hood do not catch too much air at high speeds, and tear the hood off.

Seeing how much my hood shakes and flexes on the track at high speeds, I would never run the car without using the centre latch and corner pins.
Jim – You have both raised and answered all of my concerns. The OEM Cup hood pins look FAR to flimsy for my liking but the center latch mechanism can be done away with when using the AeroCatch kit as this offers a much securer system and hence more interest.

Having seen all the pictures I have been sent of the underside of the Cup hood/bonnet you can see that Porsche were really focusing on reduced weight. The under side of the Hood has very little support rigidity and I bet it’s only 2 layers of 200gsm FRP mat. Obviously we will have to test before product release in all conditions and at high speed.

The standard hood/bonnet lifters also will not be able to be used with an FRP hood as an additional note.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 12-19-2008, 11:22 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

hey can I see some more pics of the new place it looks awsome I'm looking at buying a factory and doing a lofted conversion with my cars in the middle kind of F & F tokyo drift thing I will be needing some tidy little Japanese chicks to hang out there
Old 12-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

A Turbo RS style IC outlet is great but cannot be used with the usual straight intercooler pipes though.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:55 PM
future
Banned

Thanks Adam, Beni spent last weekend moving our cars in the new workshop. We got a great deal on it bu8t have to share until we take over the entire unit at the end of next year (space for 12 cars, offices, kitchen, showers and a bed & beer fridge for me if I get my way )

When I’m over there in early Jan I’ll take a load of pics. I’ve not been in there yet as Beni has organised everything but the location is fantastic right in between Zurich and Zug about 10 mins drive from Beni’s home.

Always fancied a factory Loft conversion with huge garage underneath like in F&FTD – Let us know how you get on For the meantime I'll have to keep dreaming though

A Turbo RS style IC outlet is great but cannot be used with the usual straight intercooler pipes though.
Duke – It will work with the stock style IC pipes but air box has to be removed
Old 12-19-2008, 12:57 PM
future
Banned

Just a quick heads up to Jim who has sent me a load of pictures of the factory Cup hood/bonnet today including all the dimensions for the hood pins - Many thanks Jim this info is invaluable for the project

Quick Reply: Interest in replica 944 Turbo Cup FRP hoods