Interest in replica 944 Turbo Cup FRP hoods

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:15 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Interest in replica 944 Turbo Cup FRP hoods

I have been chatting with Mark over at Deutsch Nine about the possible development of replicating the OEM factory Cup hood. If you haven't seen any of their products they really do some amazing stuff and are true 944/968 enthusiasts. Their products are top notch and I can personally vouch for that. We were hoping to get some feedback as to how many of you guys might be interested if we move forward with this project? I have been sending Mark as many pictures as I can find of the original Cup Car hoods and he feels that he can replicate them all the way down to the locking pins and mounting brackets under the hood. The original fiberglass hoods are NLA from Porsche or Porsche Motorsports, so I was pretty excited when Mark expressed his interest in this after I contacted him. I am sure he will chime in on this thread once he gets a chance.

Here are some pictures of the oem hood borrowed from Asarus:

Old 12-13-2008, 06:26 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd be interested, but with the price of IFC's fiberglass hoods, that is going to be hard to beat. If Van gets his hood installed, and the fitment is godo, then I will probably be pulling the trigger on one this spring.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

I was talking to D9 at one point about some quality CF hoods too. That would be a nice thing since no on makes a good one.

Last edited by Spidey944; 12-13-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:01 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

and are they willing to do a quality CF hood
Old 12-13-2008, 07:07 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be intereted in a CF hood.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:16 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spidey944
I was talking to D9 at one point about some quality CF hoods too. That would be a nice thinf since no on makes a good one.
Doug look what you have done, you have thrown the whole topic off by mentioning CF

This is for a FRP Cup Car replica hood, which looks and feels like a very light strong plastic from what I have seen.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

I wasnt trying to get the thread off-topic, I was mearly saying that I know they CAN make hoods. LOL. It has been discussed in the past. That is all, move along people, nothing to see here.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:06 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you want shoes and a hand bag to go with that CF Hood ??
integrating that RS windscreen wiper wind deflector thing in would be good but that thing alone costs more than a hood.
counter sunk latches like that are nice has to be something different to the FG hood available .
I would think 968 rip off FRP mirrors would be more popular
Old 12-13-2008, 09:20 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Does anyone have an IFC one yet? I know Mike's stuff is reputed to be the best fitting of what's available (in the US at least), but I haven't heard what the hood is like. More in terms of fitting than the lightness. I have a c/f Van Zweden hood that cost a bomb to get down to me here and is having some
'finishing / mods' done to it which will cost me a few hundred more, but that is before even tackling the fitting issues. It's close from memory, but not what you'd term great. I would think that if Mark and Beni could do something it would be perfect or close enough to it. The only real issue is the cost of shipping a large item like that. It cost a small fortune to get it freighted to Sydney. Probably a bit less to the US. The weight difference should be pretty good. At least half, if not more, off the original and without gutting your car, this is one of the best ways of making a substantial difference in one basic swap. The recessed hood pins look great too but what fastening brackets are needed underhood and is there room for these to go on the stock cars? Anyone got a pic of a Cup car underbonnet to scope these?

Oh, and Adam, only if the handbag matches the shoes...
Old 12-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

I bought an IFC one yesterday... In a few weeks I'll know how it fits.

So, while it would be cool to have a true cup car replica hood... Count me out.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
The recessed hood pins look great too but what fastening brackets are needed underhood and is there room for these to go on the stock cars? Anyone got a pic of a Cup car underbonnet to scope these?
Here you go....
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2008, 11:09 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

yeh Pat we can get you shoes and bag in that stupid 2 tone grey spotted mock CF finish .
why not just get a local CF bonnet like on Jims R car ?
Old 12-13-2008, 11:17 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

mmm. we couldnt use the replica cup bonnet. the lock down pins would get in the way of the D9 headlights.
PAt/Adam, i found a carbon guy here in queensland. called customcarbon. might check em out
Old 12-14-2008, 12:08 AM
future
Banned

Hi Colin - Thanks for posting this thread and I will add as much info as I can over due course

Firstly our current FRP hood which is 100% perfect fit is far less expensive than the one that has been refered to above and can be seen here ($489.95 plus shipping): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fCarQ5fParts I guess the last 3 pictures sum everything up

Exhibit #1

All I can say is that at least they use proper Riv Nuts for the mounting brackets but appear to use fibre board for additional strength so this hood/bonnet is going to be very heavy (see picture below)

Exhibit #2

The factory 944 Turbo Cup cars used a very light weight FRP construction which also does away with the central under brace as seen in the picture below:

If we are to take this project on then we have already located the correct hood pins and can also replicate the inner chassis member mounting brackets so a true and very light weight replica hood would be the end result.

As the mould would have to be made from 2 peices (top and bottom side) we could also make 2 top side versions:

1. OEM factory Cup replica.
2. Incorporate our heat extraction vents as a complete flush fit solution i.e. no edge.

On a last and quick note we can make all products from Carbon Fiber but currently we are struggling to purchase carbon on a roll over 1.2m wide so a visible join would be seen - Can anybody point me in a direction of wider rolls as I'd be very greatful

Best regards,
Mark

P.S. In the meantime I'll see what is the best quote I can get on shipping hoods/bonnets to the US via air.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:10 AM
future
Banned

JET951 - There would be no problem with fitting with our GTS headlight kit guaranteed

Quick Reply: Interest in replica 944 Turbo Cup FRP hoods