944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3.0L build documentary

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I'll report on the clutch when I'm driving the car. In the mean time, I made some progress:

Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
Keep us updated on the clutch.

I know of another RLer that has the same setup, only with an aluminum flywheel, and is having problems with the clutch. He's not sure if its the Feramic/organic disk, or something else....but its not up to the task of holding a 400+ HP 951.

I'm thinking about the same setup as well, when I build my motor.... But I am thinking Feramic on both sides.
On a technical note – clutches don’t care about HP, they care about torque! I have seen 400rwhp 944 engines that have 80ftlbs of torque differences.

Darwin’s clutch has different friction material on each side (Feramic/Organic) along with a higher clamping force pressure plate.

As far as having problems with clutches – that has a lot to do with the way they are used. If the clutch has not fully engaged by the time you hit full torque almost any clutch will slip. The only ones that I have used that are ‘guaranteed’ to clamp down a slipping clutch at full torque in a highly modded 951 are not very streetable. I drove a 350ftlb 951 on the track for years with a simple cup clutch set up – it worked fine. I know people that have destroyed the same set up with a stock engine…..its up to the pilot, drive like a boy racer street hack and you will break stuff, drive like an old school 24hr endurance racer and your car will last a long time.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL at "boy racer". The guys at work laugh at my DD that has 106,000 miles on the current tires, and I'm taking bets that they get to 120.

BTW, it looks like its coming into the homestretch. I thought my car would never leave jackstands or get paint..
Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
On a technical note – clutches don’t care about HP, they care about torque! I have seen 400rwhp 944 engines that have 80ftlbs of torque differences.

Darwin’s clutch has different friction material on each side (Feramic/Organic) along with a higher clamping force pressure plate.

As far as having problems with clutches – that has a lot to do with the way they are used. If the clutch has not fully engaged by the time you hit full torque almost any clutch will slip. The only ones that I have used that are ‘guaranteed’ to clamp down a slipping clutch at full torque in a highly modded 951 are not very streetable. I drove a 350ftlb 951 on the track for years with a simple cup clutch set up – it worked fine. I know people that have destroyed the same set up with a stock engine…..its up to the pilot, drive like a boy racer street hack and you will break stuff, drive like an old school 24hr endurance racer and your car will last a long time.
I understand all that.

The Southbend setup is pretty new to RL. I know of 2 RLers that are using Southbend disks. 1 is feramic on both sides, with a KEP 2 PP and stock lightened flywheel, and the other is Feramic/organic, and I'm not sure about his PP, but has an aluminum flywheel. Both are right around 400hp.

The Feramic on both sides seems to be doing fine, though it doesn't have many miles yet....But the KEP 2 PP is mighty strong.

And, as I said, the Fermaic/Organic one slips, but not sure why yet.

I'm just anxious to see how Darwin's setup works for more feedback on the Southbend disks.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 PM
Darwantae951

Finished installing the radiator today. Bolted the fan shroud on (boy is it tight in there with the stock unit!!!) and started running cooling lines. (really wish I would have re-plated the hard line from the head to the rad). I will probably end up trimming a little off the line from the hard line to the radiator because it has a slight kink at one of the 90deg bends.

The engine bay is starting to fill up!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:17 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you said you got the big battery cables?

lookin good Darwin...
Old 01-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Darwantae951

John,

I did, you can see them, they are red (well the positive cable is).
Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
John,

ummm... nevermind... cynicism is lost on the interwebs..

Hope to see it running soon!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Darwantae951

I didn't get it...and to be honest I still don't...

Installed coolant crossover pipe, Electromotive coil packs (and bracket), more cooling hoses, etc...

Now I can finally say that the only body panel NOT on my car is the hood!!!

Old 01-23-2011, 06:52 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I am also interested in this as we also have one of these Southbend discs to go in. Pretty sure it's the Feramic/organic version.
I have a KEP 2 on the sidelines also. So do we think that these two are a good combo for a racecar...or is there still a bit of uncertainty over the KEP 2?
Is there a break in procedure with these clutches? I'm sure there is but it's been a long time since I bought it.

Originally Posted by m73m95
I understand all that.

The Southbend setup is pretty new to RL. I know of 2 RLers that are using Southbend disks. 1 is feramic on both sides, with a KEP 2 PP and stock lightened flywheel, and the other is Feramic/organic, and I'm not sure about his PP, but has an aluminum flywheel. Both are right around 400hp.

The Feramic on both sides seems to be doing fine, though it doesn't have many miles yet....But the KEP 2 PP is mighty strong.

And, as I said, the Fermaic/Organic one slips, but not sure why yet.

I'm just anxious to see how Darwin's setup works for more feedback on the Southbend disks.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:48 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
John,

Hey Darwin
I think john was being a bit facetious
Those cables look like they belong in the, "Back to the Future car !! "
Damn, those are huge .... That car looks like an electrical power plant!
Progress looks great ... I am a tad behind ya over here, but hope to soon get a few more things on this coming week ..
All the best
Ed
Old 01-24-2011, 02:18 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

What colour did you say your car was Darwin....Dusty Rose?

You're not too far away now. Great to see you almost about to start her up.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:20 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks like you drilled out the rivets on the hood latch ...?
The previous picture thay were there and now they are gone ..
Did you have to remove them to get that "Power Station" in ?

I have to put the bumper back on my car .. I assume you can put the driving and signal lights in after the bumper cover on ?
I took this stuff off so long ago, I don't remember the order I took the stuff off
Regards
Ed
Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey Darwin, you are bolting some of that stuff as soon as you get it! The coil pack bracket just left here on Friday!

BTW – I can‘t live with your upper coolant pipe…..I have one here I will powder coat black and send to you – just because I want it to look good!

Oh yeah, Cynicism is not quite Sarcasm…after all sarcasm is just so helpful…here are some of my favorites….
“I am not young enough to know everything.”
“When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.”
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”
“The problem with common sense is that most people are morons.”
“What have you been reading, the Gospel According to St. Bastard?”
“If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.”
Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Looks like you drilled out the rivets on the hood latch ...?
The previous picture thay were there and now they are gone ..
Did you have to remove them to get that "Power Station" in ?

I have to put the bumper back on my car .. I assume you can put the driving and signal lights in after the bumper cover on ?
I took this stuff off so long ago, I don't remember the order I took the stuff off
Regards
Ed
Yes the light housings are installed from outside, and easily accessable with the bumper cover on the car..

Originally Posted by Chris White
Hey Darwin, you are bolting some of that stuff as soon as you get it! The coil pack bracket just left here on Friday!

BTW – I can‘t live with your upper coolant pipe…..I have one here I will powder coat black and send to you – just because I want it to look good!

Oh yeah, Cynicism is not quite Sarcasm…after all sarcasm is just so helpful…here are some of my favorites….
“I am not young enough to know everything.”
“When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.”
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”
“The problem with common sense is that most people are morons.”
“What have you been reading, the Gospel According to St. Bastard?”
“If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.”
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's and electrical problem"

Quick Reply: 3.0L build documentary