Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3 Liter Turbo Registry

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 07:26 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by 944engkid
I should elaborate I do have a 1989 S2. I am looking to understand more what the bare bones 3.0T build is like, what power to expect, any "kits" I do appreaicate your criticism though. What are typical parts people buy, crank senor, MAP, knock things that can't just be found anywhere type of thing., Thanks!
As you have an S2 already, I'd suggest going about it in stages. Start with a megasquirt and replace the ECU with that. It's a big enough project, but it can also grow with whatever future mods you do. It will give you a huge opportunity to learn (your goal) about engine management and the nuances of tuning etc on a pretty safe platform. You can pick up some power with the old n/a 3.0L and modernize it. You don't need a crank sensor as the S2 flywheel sensor will integrate. The MAP sensor comes with the megasquirt usually. Knock sensors are already on the engine, and need a bit of work to integrate into MS, but doable. If the Megasquirt overwhelms you, then no big deal, you swap back in the DME and sell the MS.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:05 PM
944 timbo
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
As you have an S2 already, I'd suggest going about it in stages. Start with a megasquirt and replace the ECU with that. It's a big enough project, but it can also grow with whatever future mods you do. It will give you a huge opportunity to learn (your goal) about engine management and the nuances of tuning etc on a pretty safe platform. You can pick up some power with the old n/a 3.0L and modernize it. You don't need a crank sensor as the S2 flywheel sensor will integrate. If the Megasquirt overwhelms you, then no big deal, you swap back in the DME and sell the MS.
This is great advice. Going this route lets you drive the car while researching, learning, collecting parts, and moving the build forward. I like this plan, I should do the same.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:23 PM
951TurboRS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you want to learn about engines rebuild one of these engines to Porsche stock standard specifications. They are a very stout engine and even in stock form will handle mild boost. A modern low back pressure turbo on a stock engine will have you at the power levels you’re looking for. Aftermarket ecu and decent turbo is key. Obviously this is the on a budget way but ultimately my advice would be to keep the build as close to Porsche spec as possible.

Slight mods to spring seat pressure and piston ring end gaps along with a Vulcan cut head gasket are really all you need. With higher compression you really need a big exhaust housing to keep back pressure down. In my opinion a budget build gives you a better understanding of the engineering involved because you really only want to open your wallet for the items of absolute necessity. It’s a great way to learn and plan for an all out build with forged internals down the track.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:54 AM
944engkid
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Justin! That is great advice!! Do I need a cam senor and knock sensor?
Old 06-30-2023, 01:35 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Thanks Justin! That is great advice!! Do I need a cam senor and knock sensor?
You don't need a cam sensor unless you want to go fully sequential on the fuel injection or be able to tune each cylinder independently. There is a cam sensor in the S2 cam gear, but I don't know of anyone who has integrated that into megasquirt yet. It shouldn't be too hard as I think it's just a hall sensor which MS can easily read. I don't run one on my 16v. I use semisequential and that seems to work just fine. I'm pretty sure the S2 has knock sensors already, but you would need something like KnocksenseMS to integrate them into megasquirt. Again, that's what I use and it is pretty easy to do, but the tuning is the tricky part.
Old 06-30-2023, 01:48 PM
944engkid
Rennlist Member

Got it, thank you Justin you have been very helpful!
If you have any more resources, feel free to shoot them my way.

Thanks again!!!!
Old 06-30-2023, 01:50 PM
JustinL
Drifting

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...sche-944-s-s2/

This is the Megasquirt you would want to buy for easiest installation with no rewiring. If you are going to rewire the engine, then a non-PNP MS3 gives you more flexibility.
Old 06-30-2023, 02:04 PM
944engkid
Rennlist Member

got it! thanks again Justin!!

I will look into it more see what else I need
Old 06-30-2023, 02:27 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

As suggested, I think it would be wise to start a new thread about modifying 944engkid's S2 as this thread is about 3.0 turbo engines.

Just as an FYI, in 2021 I traded some emails with John at Vitesse Racing about his MAF conversion. His comments regarding a standalone conversion were: "Unless you want to spend countless hours tuning and tweaking, I would stay away from a standalone. To dial in the street manners is a terribly time consuming (and could become a frustrating) job."
Old 06-30-2023, 02:48 PM
944engkid
Rennlist Member

A thread has been started. Thank you for your input, Tom. My experience within the automotive world is fairly good, I do have access to a shop, dyno and a welder. Within my school several professors worked as race engineers, so I do have access to the abilities if I needed them but at the end of the day that is why we are all here, for knowledge. I do have to say, I think you missed the point of this project, it isn't to appeal to anyone, it isn't to take a garage queen and ruin it, it isn't for anything but a learning experience and a good time. That comes with time, money, sweat and likely some tears but it is the whole idea behind the build. It can be very discouraging to continuously repeat that "you will waste money on this build" "I have spent x amount of time any money on this car" "this is a frankenstein build that will appeal to no one" at the end of the day we are all here to enjoy building cars and chatting with one another and especially that these cars are fairly closed source and not easily accessible to get information about. While I enjoy listening to your experience like I said discouragement isn't the best way of being an open community.

The "I have been down this route comments" typically are killers of innovation.
Please understand that this isn't necessarily directed to you but more so at those types of responses.
Thanks again to all your contributions. Will likely come back at a later stage with a 3.0T see you soon
Old 06-30-2023, 04:29 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

A thread has been started.
But nobody is going to see it in the Performance Modifications Forum. I've been on Rennlist since day one and admit I've never gone to that forum since everything 944/951/968 typically gets posted to the 924...968 Technical Discussion area or one of the more specific locations such as 968, turbo, etc. Your thread starter is also pretty vague as it doesn't say anything about building a 3 liter turbo.

If you want to do something unique to your S2 you might follow the ITB discussion, https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...velopment.html. That, plus the MegaSquirt would be interesting, but will still cost around $5K.

Also, it would be nice to introduce yourself with a name and a bit of background. It sounds like you are a recent college engineering grad, which is great. I was one too many years ago
Old 07-03-2023, 11:23 AM
bergerac
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys,

I am new to using fourms and stuff so please correct me if I am wrong here.
I was looking to do a simple build 3.0L block from an S2 2.7l 8v head with standalone and a small turbo. I am looking to do most of the work myself so I want to go up in stages and I think this is a good first stage. maybe even cams?

What are your thoughts, any part recommendations, turbo kits? What can that engine handle in terms of power and torque same with trans/clutch. I appreciate all the help my name should really be 944noobengkid haha
Feel free to PM me, I'm in the process of building a Turbo S2/968 hybrid (S2 base) at the moment it's quite easy to under estimate what you need to change to make it happen. If I was in the US Id have just bought a 944 turbo and 3L block/head or your choice but Turbos are rare here and I must have too much money or something.
The following users liked this post:
944engkid (07-04-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 08:02 PM
944er-teile.de
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 944er-teile.de
maybe this explains it better - so where do you expect valve float?

the red line is created by softer springs!

finally the new springs arrived, started to assemble them now and over the weekend the head should be on…

in the meantime I had to build another standard S2

alengyel (07-10-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 09:27 PM
944 timbo
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Anyone have a part number for the ATI dampner thats used with these 3 liter builds?
alengyel (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 05:47 PM
sherry66
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I use 917071 with DRS hub , not sure what others are using .
The following 2 users liked this post by sherry66:
944 timbo (11-02-2023), alengyel (11-10-2023)

Quick Reply: 3 Liter Turbo Registry