Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Borla or MagnaFlow muffler

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Borla or MagnaFlow muffler

I used to have a SuperTrapp diffuser on the tip of my otherwise open exhaust. But the back section of my exhaust got pretty mangled in that accident I had.

So, when I fab up the replacement, I was thinking about using a standard-ish muffler.

The contenders currently are:
-Borla 4" inlet/outlet 12" long oval
-MagnaFlow 4" inlet/outlet 14" long oval

They're both about $200. Anyone have 1st hand experience with either of these? Do they sound different?

(Don't forget, this is a track car with an otherwise fully open 4" exhaust.)
Old 11-21-2008, 01:27 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good question. I would also like to know.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im interested in comparisons too. Im leaning towards the Magnaflow since I think its increased size will make it slightly quieter, and ive heard it still sounds nice and aggressive on boost...
Old 11-21-2008, 01:46 PM
jmj951
Pro

Originally Posted by theedge
Im interested in comparisons too. Im leaning towards the Magnaflow since I think its increased size will make it slightly quieter, and ive heard it still sounds nice and aggressive on boost...
I have a Borla. It has blown a significant amount of fiberglass out at the track, often leaving wads of burnt fiberglass strands hanging out the tip. I'm not sure there's much fiberglass left in it, but it sounds pretty cool now (at least when my headgasket isn't blown).

CORRECTION: It is an ANSA that blew fiberglass out, not a Borla. Very sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by jmj951; 11-28-2008 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:52 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmj951
I have a Borla. It has blown a significant amount of fiberglass out at the track, often leaving wads of burnt fiberglass strands hanging out the tip. I'm not sure there's much fiberglass left in it, but it sounds pretty cool now (at least when my headgasket isn't blown).
WOW! why is that?! i've never heard of this before. pics?
Old 11-21-2008, 01:57 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hockeydude
Yeah, that is weird.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:02 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

I have been using the magnaflow for years been great and no complaints by me or others that heard my car everyone says its sound great!!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:03 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Mine is the Magnaflow SS ...is that the one you have in mind or a diff product line model??

costas
Old 11-21-2008, 02:04 PM
jmj951
Pro

Originally Posted by hockeydude
No pics, I was kind of embarassed about it actually, just kept pulling it out and throwing it away. It was already on the car when I bought it in August so I don't expect to have any ability to make a claim with Borla.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:12 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

I like the Borla and haven't had any issues.

I have the Borla rear muffler with a Hushmaster pre-muffler instead of a cat. This is a street 951, 2.5in system and it sounds just fine. It was a too loud without the pre-muffler but as you have a track car and 4in system I suppose the noise levels wouldn't matter that much.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:16 PM
400hp944
Burning Brakes

Ever consider a FlowMaster???

I have one and like the low but crisp sound. Not sure about weight though...
Old 11-21-2008, 02:22 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Van

The contenders currently are:
-Borla 4" inlet/outlet 12" long oval
-MagnaFlow 4" inlet/outlet 14" long oval

They're both about $200. Anyone have 1st hand experience with either of these? Do they sound different?

(Don't forget, this is a track car with an otherwise fully open 4" exhaust.)
I can't speak of the Borla but hear nothing but great things about it, and will probably be looking into this for my next car. But I had the Magnaflow SS 4inch, and it can be loud and kind of raspy. For a track car, this wouldn't be an issue. Just be careful for it can hang a bit on the low side - close to rubbing. And you arent interested in the new 5 inch canon mufflers that some guys are making?

Old 11-21-2008, 02:33 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jmj951
I've had several Borla mufflers and none of them had fiberglass matting in them - according to Borla, they use stainless steel matting. I've never had an issue with it getting blown out. Borla has a warranty - I'd call them and ask them for a replacement!

Borla is loud. To the point of being obnoxious, IMO. I prefer the sound of Magneflow, but to be honest I've never heard one on a 951.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

For the open pipe, with just the turbo quieting the exhaust, I'm boarder-line at meeting the sound requirements for Lime Rock. So, it's not my intention to knock much sound off... just a little bit.

But, I don't want it to sound like a honda with a 5" coffee can on it.

Here's the Borla: http://www.borla.com/products/produc...acing+Mufflers

And here's the MagnaFlow: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=7723

The FlowMaster is a bit cheaper: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=3205 According to the website, the noise reduction is minimal - it's only designed to meet the legal requirement of "putting a muffler on your car."
Old 11-21-2008, 03:30 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Van
The FlowMaster is a bit cheaper: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...oducts_id=3205 According to the website, the noise reduction is minimal - it's only designed to meet the legal requirement of "putting a muffler on your car."
It is very, very loud. I had that one, didn't like it at all for the street. I truly believe you will have issues at Lime Rock. I wouldn't want to even chance it.

Quick Reply: Borla or MagnaFlow muffler