Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Went to Texas World Speedway this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:07 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to Texas World Speedway this weekend

Some ups and downs. Mostly, just damn fun.
No, I didn't get the bad *** runs I was wanting.
Yes, I did get to meet some 951 Rennlisters, as well as tons of other Porsche people. Great people as always.

I'm dying to break in the new suspension and get a feel for what the car is doing, and am so happy I'm doing it on a track I know so well. But when I get there, they tell us we're driving clockwise. reverse of what I've always driven it. for those of you in the know. Reverse is like a whole other damn track! Crap! now I have to learn a new way at the track AND watch the car. moving on.

When I grid for the very first time. They tell me it's now a convertible and I must have a roll bar, or put the sunroof panel back on. it's in Houston. - I start to throw a fit, but they try to work with me. I have to wear arm restraints. Good deal. Glad to do it to get to run. the guy incidentally, who first told me to get the sunroof back on is and advanced instructor with a 951.. more on that later

Then, my instructor is extremely pleasant and a fantastic guy. He hates my line. I don't like his so much. I'm trying to do it his way, but honestly, I was so concerned with the car just running correctly on a wide open track, I was basically tippie toe-ing around the track and not concentrating on much else.

To add to the difficulties, my camera keeps shutting off. I mentioned this infront of Gene - eclou on here. he then tells me how all the Hard drive video cameras break when subjected to harsh vibration, but if I switch to saving to the SD card option on the camera, it will probably work. It did. - which I got to tape a session and lost it here on the computer. I know, I know. It's gone. But I got a tiny bit more today. Posted below.

I got comfortable with the car after heat two and started driving a faster line. my instructor gains a little more confidence with me, But I don't think he realizes, I'm too concerned about temps, boost pressure, etc. no problems. I picked up the pace and then relaxed. car started showing extreme promise while still having a few suspension/braking/tire issues that I have to straighten out soon.

I then have pretty much gone 4 sessions without much injury or any real driving. - Remember that Guy that was trying to bust my bubble I was talking about in the beginning. EVERYONE says I had to go for a ride in his car with him. ... Wow. I saw Jesus waiting for us at almost every corner. My neck is literally sore because of the lateral loads this guy was pulling. It was ridiculously fast and scary. VERY glad I went. had new ideas about my line for today.

TODAY....

First session. Still cold outside. Tires never got above 130. (Too much pressure I found out later - combined with very cool weather) Didn't do very badly. 2:02 was the best of that session. But man, I wasn't even trying. This car makes me look damn good. It has HUGE potential. I was still driving slow as hell through corners 12, 7, 6 into 5 (reverse direction remember) etc. Literally hanging out, going slow on those trying to figure out where I need to apex to handle the large speeds needed for them. Traffic also. I didn't bother videoing because I was sure that session was going to be pretty lame. It was still fun, and now I wish I had because I hardly have any video at all. Video taped second session. If you watch, or time it when I cross the checkered line to the end crossing the line again. It's right under 2:06 (00:13-02:19 youtube video) And when watching the video, you can see just how lame that lap was. Only got stuck behind a slower car once though. And you will see several corners I was still trying to get a feel for. Large cambered right hander / the two corners that are pretty much one after that, and the last large sweeper before the straight were especially slow. More excuses, I'm full of them, but they're accurate at this point. You really get an idea of how fast this thing takes off when the green car waves me by and I take off after I get the corner handled. - at my low boost setting!

oh yeah, 18psi only. never raised it. Having reference sensor issues. it's falling out of it's holder and the 60-2 wheel is slinging off center. This is not my fault. and all I'm going to discuss. Going to a completely different ref sensor set up very soon.

It's not exciting, but here it is. Warning for those of you who get sea sick. VERY shaky. Man. youtube makes it 10x's worse. I'll have to see where eclou's loading them up and use them another time.
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[/url]

OH YEAH. under my sig is what happens when you hit 150 and you haven't tied your lindsey racing header panel on well enough!!!! That was just crazy. Scared the hell out of me for the people behind me. All was well, it was just scratched after that. Amazingly.

Last edited by 95ONE; 10-27-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:15 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

Man it was great to meet you. See ya in December.
great car.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:35 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

some vid from today

http://vimeo.com/2076314
Old 10-26-2008, 11:48 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Smooth line Gene. VERY fast. Speaking of very fast. The 951 guy that let me see Jesus, passes Gene at 7:20 on that video. The guy is damn fast and I think, a little insane! He broke his alternator bracket - broadfoot on a lap soon after.

*Edit: Special thanks to Gene for all his help and guidance at the track

Last edited by 95ONE; 10-27-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:55 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bruce, Wes is simply outstanding out there. Just after I let him by his rear end waggles all over the exit of T6. Check him out taming an older Viper here: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...TWS_160142.htm I kept waiting for him to totally fly off the track (I did not know it was him driving at the time)!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I want to go racing.

SON.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:08 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by jacksonrw
Man it was great to meet you. See ya in December.
great car.
I loved meeting you guys and having a great time on a couple of beautiful days. Great cars, all of you!
Can you beleive what happened to my header panel!?!!! - and that it survived.
VVVVVVVVV
Old 10-27-2008, 12:28 AM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

A broken alternator bracket is pretty minor, so I consider it a great weekend. I was just bummed I had to come in. I was having fun with you guys!

Bruce's car is going to be a total beast when he gets it sorted. The 997TT and 997 GT2 are already beasts!

Hope to see all you guys in December.

West
Old 10-27-2008, 12:32 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Weston Dillard
A broken alternator bracket is pretty minor, so I consider it a great weekend. I was just bummed I had to come in. I was having fun with you guys!

Bruce's car is going to be a total beast when he gets it sorted. The 997TT and 997 GT2 are already beasts!

Hope to see all you guys in December.

West
Holy crap, thats you! I almost spit out my dinner. THAT is what it's all about. now I know you. I get it now. -
Sorted. You mean keeping body panels attached?
The sputtering is easily fixed and will be done by the end of the week. (ref sensor and wheel) -
Now that I've seen what happened to your alternator. I'll be changing mine out to a little Honda guy ASAP.

Last edited by 95ONE; 10-27-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:39 AM
bigdeano
Burning Brakes

eclou your video chasing the GT2 isn't working. The other one does. Is it just my computer being crazy or is everyone else havin the same issue? Great footage on the second one!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:46 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by eclou
Bruce, Wes is simply outstanding out there. Just after I let him by his rear end waggles all over the exit of T6. Check him out taming an older Viper here: http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...TWS_160142.htm I kept waiting for him to totally fly off the track (I did not know it was him driving at the time)!
God I wish I could see the owner's (passenger) face. A Change of shorts must have been in order on that one.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Weston Dillard
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Bruce,

I meant sorted like - having tires that have a prayer of getting all that power down! :-) All the little stuff. Alignment settings, balance. If you can do it in a few events, I'll be impressed. I've been working on mine almost 13 years and probably 200 track days, and it's still not always right.

It was funny when I was driving that Viper. I didn't know eclou's car was such a rocket. So after he lets me by, I really put my head down and try to get a big run out of 15. I came out pretty good, going as hard as I could with 500 HP, and by start finish he was about to run over me! I told Chris, who owns the Viper, "This dude has got 700 HP at least!" I guess I was about right.

West
Old 10-27-2008, 01:17 AM
95ONE
Race Car

I'm sorry WES, that didn't come out right. It seemed defensive, and It was suppose to be making fun of myself losing such a large part of my car on the track! I tried to immediately go back and add the smiley face thingies, but rennlist wasn't pulling up for a while there.

Hell no in a few events! My current suspension will probably be changed out three times before I'm happy. ..hmmmm. Selling yours?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:46 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm incredibly jealous. It looks like you guys had a ton of fun..

God I can't wait to hit some track days up here. Its been so long without my car I've forgotten just how much damn fun it is.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:51 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE
God I wish I could see the owner's (passenger) face. A Change of shorts must have been in order on that one.

The guy was as pale as a sheet after that ride. I remember seeing him stumble back to the garage looking like he was gonna hurl

Quick Reply: Went to Texas World Speedway this weekend