944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

news flash!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 04:55 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok sweanders you know how when you blow a headgasket its from combustion blowin it to the cooling jackets rite ....??
Well this is the other way around being the cooling system buildin too much pressure causing it to leak the other way into the combustion chamber and or externally. For examle do this..... put a pressure tester on you cooling system and pump it up to the max on the gauge leave it set you will either leak for the seams on the radiator,hoses and or seap from the headgasket(these engines will have problem with leaks past 21psi in the coolin system) and in my case it was easier for my to do cause im running a cometic headgasket much easier to catch leaks but not blow trust me I know i built many of these engines. It's just not healthy for the car is all im sayin leads to other things
Do you get what im sayin now? I guess I should have worded it alil differently.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

hmm.. you mean that cooling pressure exceeds pressure in the cylinder?? now that's just silly

if the cooling system is more pressurized than cylinders, than you should convert it to steam powered 944 imho :>
Old 09-09-2008, 11:50 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
Ok sweanders you know how when you blow a headgasket its from combustion blowin it to the cooling jackets rite ....??
Well this is the other way around being the cooling system buildin too much pressure causing it to leak the other way into the combustion chamber and or externally. For examle do this..... put a pressure tester on you cooling system and pump it up to the max on the gauge leave it set you will either leak for the seams on the radiator,hoses and or seap from the headgasket(these engines will have problem with leaks past 21psi in the coolin system) and in my case it was easier for my to do cause im running a cometic headgasket much easier to catch leaks but not blow trust me I know i built many of these engines. It's just not healthy for the car is all im sayin leads to other things
Except ive done that to probably 25PSI, and mine didnt leak a drop.... And the stock pressure cap is 1 bar, which millions of cars use.

If the headgasket is blown, any car will get coolant into the cylinder and gases into the coolant. Simple physics. Coolant pressure wont blow even a old headgasket fire ring, youre talking 15/16PSI versus..... Well thousands.

If your headgasket is leaking, then youd have to reinstall it following the procedures. Cometics are picky about how the install goes, or you can get some spray on sealant for it.

If your hoses are leaking, then something else is wrong, like the clamps arent tight or something.

If you still have an issue with coolant pressure, then get Evans NPG Waterless coolant or something.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, my new stock cap has zero issues. I've pressure tested it, and it opens at 20 PSI. My old stock cap, just was old, so I replaced it.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:40 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn!!! This thread is a reason that people are leaving Rennlist... This guy posted an FYI that he has seen a bunch of bad factory caps and all everyone can do is bust his *****??? Why??? you dont even need to trust his word, just take the post as a warning to test your rad cap when you get a new one for piece of mind... It really isnt that hard to believe that there is a bad batch of caps out there!

Mark
Old 09-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
Damn!!! This thread is a reason that people are leaving Rennlist... This guy posted an FYI that he has seen a bunch of bad factory caps and all everyone can do is bust his *****??? Why??? you dont even need to trust his word, just take the post as a warning to test your rad cap when you get a new one for piece of mind... It really isnt that hard to believe that there is a bad batch of caps out there!

Mark

don't be such a steam engine basher
Old 09-09-2008, 01:04 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree the negetive posts can be a little much.

There are plenty of threads that are started with incorrect information on this board.

Does this one get attacked because he spells right "rite"?

<just playing devils advocate here since the OP probably doesn't yet realize his information is bad.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Thanks marky522 I cant seam to get them to understand what is being said .So to the to the other guys get a pressure tester like i said before pump it up to max which is way more then 25 psi more like 60 psi and see what happens!! I put a gauge in line and had it peak at at 60 psi with this cap and the pressure is the most when after the car was turned off of course and would cause slight loss of coolant day by day over night. While setting not when the car was running it stayed around 40 psi STILL too much for the cooling system to handle. but i can see an "I TOLD YOU THREAD" later on but what do I know rite I have just been working on P-car for damn near 15 years

FYI I have also talked to beru threw someone I know at the dealer and was told bout the spring issues with the caps because they no longer make them and all there scrapes where sold off the B rated parts stores so the cap you are buyin as "factory" are just not up to spec leftover from them.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:58 PM
jmj951
Pro

Default Possibly related?

This is interesting - I had two track days this past weekend and had a possibly related problem. First day, no coolant problems. Second day, after the second session, I started getting coolant boiling over after shutting off. The engine did not run hot during the track runs. I hard-wired the fans to keep them on throughout the runs and left them on after the runs, and I was still getting boil-over after the third and fourth sessions. I could watch the temp climb after shutting off the engine, so I'd restart it to recirculate the coolant from the radiator, and it would drop back down. Let it sit a while with the engine off, the temp gauge would climb back up, I'd restart it again to recirculate coolant again. This decreased the amount of boilover, but I had to repeat this process about four times to put an end to it.

Is it possible my radiator cap should have been releasing that pressure and wasn't working properly? Any other ideas?
Old 09-09-2008, 02:11 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marky522
Damn!!! This thread is a reason that people are leaving Rennlist...
Yep, it is. A series of threads with incorrect information followed by a bunch of people yelling a bunch of crap that was even further from the truth is what caused myself and several others to leave rennlist once before. Sounds like you might need to go replace your radiator cap marky.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Any time the cap should release pressure is when something is wrong. It should never,ever, release pressure otherwise!

A higher pressure cap is your friend, it will never cause the car to overheat or other bad mechanical things. IF the pressure goes up extremely (like extreme overheating or bad head gasket) it burst a hose if the cap doesn't open.

It will never be the other way around, such as a high pressure cap causing bad head gasket or coolant system failure. So... relax
Old 09-09-2008, 02:23 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
Old 09-09-2008, 02:35 PM
jmj951
Pro

I think this thread is going to get the attention of people who know a few things about the cooling system, so I want to throw this question out and get some leads on what I may need to fix. If a car is NOT running hot, but then starts spitting coolant from the overflow tube (from the coolant reservoir) a few minutes after shutting it off, what is the problem?????
Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

2 + 2 = 73

...apparently.

Oh, and a consistent inability to spell, punctuate or Capitalise correctly.

Keith
Old 09-09-2008, 03:15 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Quick question: Just bought a used radiator. What do you guys do to clean the inside of the radiator?

Quick Reply: news flash!!!!