Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

news flash!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:04 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I think this thread is going to get the attention of people who know a few things about the cooling system, so I want to throw this question out and get some leads on what I may need to fix. If a car is NOT running hot, but then starts spitting coolant from the overflow tube (from the coolant reservoir) a few minutes after shutting it off, what is the problem?????"

The coolant level in your expansion tank is too high?
System still has too much air in it?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

just flush it with water.. if it is a bad case, use paint thinner or gasoline..

anyway, I think this quote is definetly one of the best I have ever read on rennlist

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
being the cooling system buildin too much pressure causing it to leak the other way into the combustion chamber

trust me I know i built many of these engines.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
"I think this thread is going to get the attention of people who know a few things about the cooling system, so I want to throw this question out and get some leads on what I may need to fix. If a car is NOT running hot, but then starts spitting coolant from the overflow tube (from the coolant reservoir) a few minutes after shutting it off, what is the problem?????"

The coolant level in your expansion tank is too high?
System still has too much air in it?
lmao at the people knowing the thread is going to get attenton and using that to actually get some real information from this board.

haha I love it.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:35 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be honest...as brutal/negative as some of the mega-posters are in regards to anything that seems to go against their rational thought and/or past experiences goes along way in explaining why alot of people don't even bother posting a technical, FYI, CA or DIY thread. I saw similiar rebuttals in special tools thread about the KEP clutches.
So a fellow Porsche owner believes he has a serious issue with rad caps, supplements this with information from an old manufacturers rep. and he gets destroyed? Geez...I understand the concept of agree to disagree but a simple "...I have not had any problems with that product." would suffice. I have not had any problems with my caps, but if I did it would be nice to know that a potential problem may have been identified. Thus establishing some liability back to the parts source (manufacturer, parts wholesaler, retailer, etc...) if any subsequent damage occured due to default of the cap. Thereby granting us, as a whole, a basis to persue a legal and/or financial claim against the appropriate party.
IMO, some statements in this thread would go a long way in expalining how it is easy for some not to want to reply or add their experiences, so as not to get "attacked". I wonder how much information has escaped us due to this principle? And how much more that will never be known?

Just my opinion....
Old 09-09-2008, 05:43 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
I'll be honest...as brutal/negative as some of the mega-posters are in regards to anything that seems to go against their rational thought and/or past experiences goes along way in explaining why alot of people don't even bother posting a technical, FYI, CA or DIY thread. I saw similiar rebuttals in special tools thread about the KEP clutches.
So a fellow Porsche owner believes he has a serious issue with rad caps, supplements this with information from an old manufacturers rep. and he gets destroyed? Geez...I understand the concept of agree to disagree but a simple "...I have not had any problems with that product." would suffice. I have not had any problems with my caps, but if I did it would be nice to know that a potential problem may have been identified. Thus establishing some liability back to the parts source (manufacturer, parts wholesaler, retailer, etc...) if any subsequent damage occured due to default of the cap. Thereby granting us, as a whole, a basis to persue a legal and/or financial claim against the appropriate party.
IMO, some statements in this thread would go a long way in expalining how it is easy for some not to want to reply or add their experiences, so as not to get "attacked". I wonder how much information has escaped us due to this principle? And how much more that will never be known?

Just my opinion....
Very wise, but sometimes are so strange that one has to ask the question.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:11 PM
jmj951
Pro

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
lmao at the people knowing the thread is going to get attenton and using that to actually get some real information from this board.

haha I love it.
-1 for comments like that.

What this forum really needs is a feedback mechanism that scores members' posts on their accuracy and helpfulness as rated by other members that read the post. That way we can more easily identify and ignore the ones that come here for personal entertainment.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:13 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmj951

What this forum really needs is a feedback mechanism that scores members' posts on their accuracy and helpfulness as rated by other members that read the post. That way we can more easily identify and ignore the ones that come here for personal entertainment.
We are a flock of sheep, it would be a flocked up rating system.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think some of you people are just too tight.

elite porsche forum or not, it's still just an internet forum, and if one should feel offended by stupid remarks, he should keep away from the internet in the first place.

besides, maybe someone reading this thread would actually think that pressure from cooling system can ruin the headgasket if there weren't so many people lafing at it.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin51
Quick question: Just bought a used radiator. What do you guys do to clean the inside of the radiator?
There is coolant system cleaning products available.
But you can also buy regular vinegar and fill the radiator with a 50/50 mix of that and warm water. That helps release the chalk build up. Then flush thoroughly.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:41 PM
CPR
Race Director

L A U G H I N G...FYI (ms)
Old 09-09-2008, 06:51 PM
blodstrupmoen
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR
)

Saw you deleted this.. so I will not quote it either .. play nice
Old 09-09-2008, 07:38 PM
951reasons
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[I]I'll be honest...as brutal/negative as some of the mega-posters are in regards to anything that seems to go against their rational thought and/or past experiences goes along way in explaining why alot of people don't even bother posting a technical, FYI, CA or DIY thread. I saw similiar rebuttals in special tools thread about the KEP clutches.

Just my opinion....

Patrick , In my opinion, you are probably one of the most level headed guys on this forum.. I commend your objectivity and humor to boot. I wish more of these "intelligent" guys could learn to see the forest for the trees.I learned after my very first post that there are a lot of narrow minded individuals that reply to what could be pertnant(sp) information to someone in the world with negativity and blatant disrespect of others opinions or knowledge.They are too busy nit picking spelling,punctuation and every little thing else to actually give what is being said an honest chance.I've never claimed to know everything about these cars but I have been working and building them for years. I also grew up in the automotive industry so to speak. What i'm seeing here is a bunch of people who are basically "know it alls" and have the nerve to blast me for not posting anything of a "technical" nature... Why would I? We still haven't got past the grade school crap!! I do know this, INURGRL and i have been discussing his 'cap' issue in depth for a good while now and if you knew or took the time listen to him you might find that he does in fact know a bit about what he's talkin about..Here in Va. we do have alot of good technicians and shops, also dealerships..So don't be morons about all that is posted , if you can use the info , or aren't sure about the info , take the time to do a little more research about the issue posted before you spew off with your negativity.

And yes, this is why people don't want to post here.. hell I just started posting after months of reading and already I'm pretty much fed up with a lot of the user/members already. I originally came here to talk about PORSCE 944 Turbo's ... that's it.. Not all of you guys are bad so this doesn't pertain to 'all'..
Just my opinion......BTW, was this too ghetto?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:58 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jmj951

ouch
where do I send flowers?

Spend a little time on this forum. You'll find out where the information lies and where it doesn't. If you still very new to this board you might have trouble finding who's who.

However a quick search will yield fantastic results on who actually participates in this forum and who doesn't.

Feedback function isn't really needed. Since there's already a search function and the regulars will know one another since we typically only do business and socialize with one another.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
L A U G H I N G...FYI (ms)
thanks. I am sorry for not being able to write 100% correct english, but english is one of the last languages I have learned, and I am still quite green in writing it. my natural language is Slovenian. (try and learn it sometime its great fun )

I am sorry if I offended anybody, but like on any forum on the net, stupid thread yields stupid answers and in this case a lot of moralizing.

to say that head gasket will fail from coolant pressure before 16 different hoses and expansion reservoar is in my opinion funny. now crucify me.

as far as I know, head gasket is likely to fail on cylinder 4 due to air pockets in coolant and not overpressurized coolant.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:07 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by blodstrupmoen
Saw you deleted this.. so I will not quote it either .. play nice

I did...it would serve little purpose to engage in the same banter I abhor reading.

Quick Reply: news flash!!!!