Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

one of my crazier ideas ..HOLSET :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:05 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2.5 to intercooler. 3" to Throttle body. Spool seems great. Got nothing really to compare it against. She seems to spool plenty fast. no real lag to feel. Just a touch. I can probably get spool down a few hundred RPMs by leaning out to 13 atmo and going to 11.8 at the top of revs. Currently .8 lambda as soon as you hit the gas all the way to redline. Could use some spooling tricks. I have alot of fine tuning on the map to go, but I couldn't afford more time. It ran so well, I don't know if i'll gt to that anytime in the near future either. I'm so ready to carve corners now.

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-01-2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:46 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

"McLovin when I think of E85 it has nothing to do with BMW's "
I was thinking the same thing lol
Fitting bigger than 2.75" pipes is a real squeeze. S'pose neither of your bays are stock but 3" wouldn't fit under my hood I'm thinking.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have brand new HX40 with 17cm2 turbine housing that I'm going to use on 2.5 16v engine. Holsets are hands down the best bang for buck turbos out there and I personally don't see any point in payng 2-3 times more money for ball bearing turbo if you can have split turbine housing and get the same boost trehsold and spoolup with wise exaust manifold design.
Plus those compressors are superefficient at high boost levels.
And more, you definitely don't want to use launch control and anti-lag with BB turbo, but Holsets won't even sweat about it. That means having 1 bar of boost standing still
Old 09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Nice progress. Any bigger turbos are cool in my book!

Just a word of advice though. Since you are re-doing the IC pipes, you might want to consider moving the BOV/BV to the TB side instead of right next to the turbo. In many intercooled setups, positioning close to the TB generally provides for the quickest spool from on/off throttle transitions. 951's don't tend to have quite as much piping as many other intercooled turbocharged setups, so the difference might be minimal however it is definitely there. Sorry if I'm just restating the obvious. It's labor day and I'm bored.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:03 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Patrick I'll make it work

Raceboy I couldn't agree more
Originally Posted by Porschefile

Just a word of advice though. Since you are re-doing the IC pipes, you might want to consider moving the BOV/BV to the TB side instead of right next to the turbo. In many intercooled setups, positioning close to the TB generally provides for the quickest spool from on/off throttle transitions. 951's don't tend to have quite as much piping as many other intercooled turbocharged setups, so the difference might be minimal however it is definitely there. Sorry if I'm just restating the obvious. It's labor day and I'm bored.
Thanks for the info. I did have 2 BOV's on it all this time, one was where you saw by the turbo and the other was the stock location. that makes perfect sense though that the turbo would still be trying to fill the area before the t/b when the BOV is open so that area would still be somewhat pressurized. If I can I will put them both on the t/b side I am using a a 35 mm mitsu unit and the stock nipple and the sock replacement total of 60mm relief.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:41 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porschefile

Just view my avatar For my BOV position and intercooler sizing to TB.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:27 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

^^ Nice! I never noticed that. Definately something I'm going to do...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:27 AM
blown 944
Race Car

charge tubes done couldn't get the TB on today as the linkage is giving me some issues
Old 09-02-2008, 08:32 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy
I have brand new HX40 with 17cm2 turbine housing that I'm going to use on 2.5 16v engine. Holsets are hands down the best bang for buck turbos out there and I personally don't see any point in payng 2-3 times more money for ball bearing turbo if you can have split turbine housing and get the same boost trehsold and spoolup with wise exaust manifold design.
Plus those compressors are superefficient at high boost levels.
And more, you definitely don't want to use launch control and anti-lag with BB turbo, but Holsets won't even sweat about it. That means having 1 bar of boost standing still
My next winter's project will be split x-over pipe from the manifolds to the urbine housing. It's a tight fit, but can be done. The biggest issue will be wastegate's plumbing. A pipe from both manifolds into a one WG...hmmm...

Congrats blown944, a way to go! BTW, how's the turbine now configured? Do you still have Holset turbine wheel there?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:15 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Sid, what are those i/c pipes?? Firehose lol.
Pete, hows the car going? How many k's have you done? What's the idea with splitting the c/over pipe?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:24 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Pete, hows the car going? How many k's have you done? What's the idea with splitting the c/over pipe?
I'm still waiting my front bumper and headlight buckets from the painter's shop. Without those I haven't dared to go far...about 30 kms altogether. Boost has been up to 1 bar few times and the catch can is still dry. Just on Saturday I noticed that I have a wrong spring in my BOV...it started to open when revs got over 3k...no wonder spooling was slightly slow...
Splitting the x-over pipe should be done in order to keep exhaust pulses separated all the way to the compressor wheel, its called "pulse charging" or whatever. ( Someone no doubt can tell the correct term in English! ) The compressor housing is also splitted and in this way spool threshold can be lowered some 200-300 rpm.
This procedure is widely used in many modern turbo diesel engines.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:13 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
My next winter's project will be split x-over pipe from the manifolds to the urbine housing. It's a tight fit, but can be done. The biggest issue will be wastegate's plumbing. A pipe from both manifolds into a one WG...hmmm...

Congrats blown944, a way to go! BTW, how's the turbine now configured? Do you still have Holset turbine wheel there?
Yes I am using the Holset wheel. I just had to mill off ~2mm of the mating area of the center housing and the little heat shield. I also sanded the turbine housing where the blades might contact just to be safe.

I am very happy with it,

Pete, do you have a good boost/vacuum source going to your BOV. I ask B/c I had the exact same issue yesterday b/c I forgot to plug a hose that is in line with the BOV line and it would start to relieve ~ 15psi. Luckily it was a 10 second fix.

Ohh and on the pulse charging it sounds like a great idea
Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Patrick take a look at NZ951 ? supra thread and you'll see how it would be fabbed. Just in our case it would be from paired cylinders vs engine banks
Old 09-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Splitting the x-over pipe should be done in order to keep exhaust pulses separated all the way to the compressor wheel, its called "pulse charging" or whatever. ( Someone no doubt can tell the correct term in English! ) The compressor housing is also splitted and in this way spool threshold can be lowered some 200-300 rpm.
This procedure is widely used in many modern turbo diesel engines.
The term we normally use here for that is "twin scroll". It can cause some really drastic improvements in spool and transient response. So you are doing a setup like this? If so, that's really cool! You will definitely like it I'm sure.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's my HX40, it has internally wastegated turbine housing but the holes are blocked from the factory and also V-band option. Looks a bit bulky bit it doesn't bother me. It also has watercooled center-section.
I plan to mount the turbo to the exaust side of the engine, in front to be more specific.

Quick Reply: one of my crazier ideas ..HOLSET :)