8" RaceRamps.. Ramps in general

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008 | 07:16 PM
MrPorsche951
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8" RaceRamps.. Ramps in general

Anyone using 8" Ramps? I see they have 10" ramps for an extra $100
Is 8" enough height to do oil changes and other stuff? I don't want to spend $250 for ramps if I can't get under the car.

After the turbo swap I do not feel comfortable using jackstands. I do not trust myself enough to get under the car again.

All and any comments regarding ramps are appreciated!
Old 08-19-2008 | 08:52 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bigger is always better, in ramps. 8" is enough, but the more the merrier. I still use jack stands, with the ramps that I have. Ramps are pretty much only good for the front of the car, unless you can find away to use 4 of them.
If you do, let me know.
Old 08-19-2008 | 08:55 PM
MrPorsche951
Banned

ehall, what brand and size of ramps do you use
Old 08-19-2008 | 09:17 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 8'' Rhino Ramps, available from most auto stores. I am a pretty slim guy and it was enough space for me to remove those annoying exhaust manifold / crossover flange bolts when i did my headgasket.

As with everything though, the higher you can get the car the better. The only issue i see using 10'' high ramps is getting up onto them, especially if you have a front splitter or the car is lowered. But ive looked at the RaceRamp products and it seems the incline is long enough that you should be able to clear it. My Rhino Ramps are about 35'' long according to the Rhino Ramp webpage, i have to drive up on pieces of wood for the front end of my car to clear, two pieces now on each side with the front splitter (at stock ride height also). The RaceRamps look to be about 20'' longer, so probably enough to clear. The actual angle of the ramp is about 17* for the Rhino Ramps and 10.75* for the RaceRamps.

Id love to get a set of the RaceRamps but they are pretty darn expensive! But for the sake of an easier to work on car....its almost priceless .

And i am also not a fan of jackstands much anymore. I really only feel comfortable under the car using the 12-ton stands. I know of a guy who was crushed (and killed) by his VW Jetta when he was working on it. Granted he was NOT using jackstands (only a hydraulic jack which failed) but still, its something to take seriously.
Old 08-19-2008 | 09:36 PM
MrPorsche951
Banned

Its just not worth it to me. For 300 bucks I am 100% safe, I don't have to worry about shaking the car too much while fighting exhaust bolts, and have a nice set of ramps I can use for a verrry long time.

Thank you for your insight regarding ramp height. Looks like I'll splurge on a set of 10" ramps.

I am sorry, it is an absolute shame to hear about your VW friend.

As always, Thanks guys!
Old 08-20-2008 | 08:15 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Techno, are you stacking the wood and what thickness are you getting before driving up on the Rhino's?

I've got Rhino's also but after putting my car on 2 stacked 2x12's the car with GT splitter still will hit before I get all the way up.

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
I have 8'' Rhino Ramps, available from most auto stores. I am a pretty slim guy and it was enough space for me to remove those annoying exhaust manifold / crossover flange bolts when i did my headgasket.

As with everything though, the higher you can get the car the better. The only issue i see using 10'' high ramps is getting up onto them, especially if you have a front splitter or the car is lowered. But ive looked at the RaceRamp products and it seems the incline is long enough that you should be able to clear it. My Rhino Ramps are about 35'' long according to the Rhino Ramp webpage, i have to drive up on pieces of wood for the front end of my car to clear, two pieces now on each side with the front splitter (at stock ride height also). The RaceRamps look to be about 20'' longer, so probably enough to clear. The actual angle of the ramp is about 17* for the Rhino Ramps and 10.75* for the RaceRamps.

Id love to get a set of the RaceRamps but they are pretty darn expensive! But for the sake of an easier to work on car....its almost priceless .

And i am also not a fan of jackstands much anymore. I really only feel comfortable under the car using the 12-ton stands. I know of a guy who was crushed (and killed) by his VW Jetta when he was working on it. Granted he was NOT using jackstands (only a hydraulic jack which failed) but still, its something to take seriously.
Old 08-20-2008 | 10:22 PM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

These are a little pricey for jack stands, but they are very robust. My other jack stands always made me uncomfortable when working under one of the real cars, but not so with these.

-John
Old 08-22-2008 | 12:45 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

My sister just emailed this to me, it was in the local paper. I was planning on buying a set of these RaceRamps anyhow, im sick of having to stack so much wood infront of my RhinoRamps. Plus i imagine that extra 2'' of lift will be very nice to have!

Long Island Man Crushed to Death by Car

WEST BABYLON, N.Y. (AP) -- A Long Island man was crushed to death when his car fell on him while he was replacing the transmission.

Suffolk County police say 52-year-old Edward Stromski was killed Wednesday when the car fell off the floor jack he was using to lift it.

He was pronounced dead at Good Samaritan Hospital.

ELLSSUU, i stack two pieces of wood ontop of each other, but sorta stagger it so one piece is directly infront of the ramp, and the other is laying ontop of the ramp and the first piece i put down. I forgoet the heights, but i think 1.5 - 2'' is what im using.
Old 08-22-2008 | 12:49 AM
MrPorsche951
Banned

Maybe we can get a group buy together
Old 08-22-2008 | 01:03 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to use ramps for stability reasons, but have clearance issues pulling up onto them, why not just jack the car up, slip the ramps under the wheels, and set the car down on the ramps? No need to spend $350 on ramps, that's nuts.
Old 08-22-2008 | 01:05 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Well you would need to jack the car up pretty darn high because the suspension will sag when the weight comes off.
Old 08-22-2008 | 08:07 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrPorsche951
Maybe we can get a group buy together
mine are 9 1/2 high. To me that could still be higher. I bought them at autozone or similar.
Old 08-22-2008 | 08:50 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by shiners780
If you want to use ramps for stability reasons, but have clearance issues pulling up onto them, why not just jack the car up, slip the ramps under the wheels, and set the car down on the ramps? No need to spend $350 on ramps, that's nuts.
Amen Brother!

Quick Reply: 8" RaceRamps.. Ramps in general