Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

centrifugal superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:33 PM
bitburgerluvr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default centrifugal superchargers

I have been looking at centrifugal superchargers and Im kinda impressed. The one flows 1400 cfm air. Now, I know that alot of our turbos flow like 1000 or so.

Now, the supercharger steals power but I wouldnt think it would be all that much if power steering is removed, lighter crank/flywheel/clutch.

Also backpressure/heat would be eliminated. The one supercharger makes like 25psi and at 25psi on 3.0L with turbo, backpressure would be huge even with exhaust and t4 turbo with down pipe.

We could also get away with running the MSDS headers. Just something to think about.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:39 PM
George D
Drifting

Plenty of blowers on the 968 cars, and like 10 done on the 2.5 944. If you are trying to get a 3.0 motor to get to 400+WHP, a turbo is the route to take. www.speedforceracing.com has kits for the 968 cars and turned them into good 300whp cars using stock components. Gotta wait till high RPM to get the power though.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:37 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best supercharger to go with is a twin screw. Most efficient and quick boost.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:33 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Where can one buy just a blower, instead of a $6300 kit?
Old 07-13-2008, 06:19 AM
N/a 944
Racer

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Where can one buy just a blower, instead of a $6300 kit?
for a centrifugal or a twin screw?
Centrifugal: Vortec . com?
Twin screw: Kenne Bell; he has blowers for MANY different size engines
Roots: would an M90 off of a GM 3.8 V6 work? They are cheap.... or the blower off of a cobalt ss Supercharged. That engine is a 2.0 litre.... I think it has a M60.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:35 PM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there done it, and removed it (Centrifugal SN89).

I have an 86 N/A that was supercharged for around 2 years; I built the whole kit my self using a Paxton SN89 with a home built bracket, Mafterburner, Ford 80mm MAF, Turbo injectors, adjustable FPR. From my experience Centrifugal superchargers are not the best units for 944s, I’m not sure about Vortech, Powerdyne and ATI but the Paxton is like a big turbocharger with tons of lag, Paxton SN units are also ball drive (high maintenance) and need to have the right ball tension so the SC won’t slip. The real issue with Centrifugal superchargers is they provide maximum boost at high RPM and not much gains low RPM, you may end up with a really fast car with power you can’t utilize unless on a race track. The better choice would be a roots type supercharger, roots type superchargers provide a steady 4 to 6 PSI from around 1600 RPM all the way up, with the 944s cam profile this type of SC provides low end power until the cam kicks in. My SC conversion gave me lots of trouble especially with AF and air filter placment, if you do a draw-through (MAF) configuration there is not much space between the brake booster an the SC intake.

With regards to turbocharging, this has worked best for me. I currently run full stock turbo plumbing on my 86 N/A, I run around 10 psi with water injection and an external knock sensor (J&S Safeguard). After installing the turbo I felt really stupid for not doing this in the beginning, it was so easy and simple to tune and boy there is lots of power !!
Old 07-13-2008, 12:41 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

I supercharged a N/A with an autorotor twin screw pump. It would build boost by 1300-1500 and hold it depending on pulley size through out the power band. It was a very nice piece. This was years ago, but from what I remember, it was a LOT of fun. If anyone wants, I can dig up the photos.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:05 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

DIG DIG DIG.....I need to see this.

I have heard of a few other people try this. I guy on the Pelican forum has a SC off of a ford pickup. He designed the system himself. It doesn't look to nice stuffed in there, but he says it works great, and that his car flys.

I'm thinking a SC system would be somewhat of an easy design. They don't need 1/2 the things a turbo needs to work. I'm sort of on the fence on wether to do this (maybe after my car's done with DD duty), but any pics from anyone would fantastic!! I have 43792874210324254 things on my To-Do list, and this might be the last thing, but ideas are always welcome.

(I agree turboing an N/A is dumb...but a SC is a completely different animal)
Old 07-13-2008, 04:32 PM
pormgb
Racer

Take a drive in mine !! its defiantly not dumb !!

If you can't do it your self, It could be cost prohibitive but it produces great results if boost if kept under control.

Originally Posted by m73m95
DIG DIG DIG.....I need to see this.

I have heard of a few other people try this. I guy on the Pelican forum has a SC off of a ford pickup. He designed the system himself. It doesn't look to nice stuffed in there, but he says it works great, and that his car flys.

I'm thinking a SC system would be somewhat of an easy design. They don't need 1/2 the things a turbo needs to work. I'm sort of on the fence on wether to do this (maybe after my car's done with DD duty), but any pics from anyone would fantastic!! I have 43792874210324254 things on my To-Do list, and this might be the last thing, but ideas are always welcome.

(I agree turboing an N/A is dumb...but a SC is a completely different animal)
Old 07-13-2008, 04:37 PM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

For those running twin screw what did you do for an intake mani?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:07 PM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by HIGHBOOST
For those running twin screw what did you do for an intake mani?
This is what Huntley Racing used to sell. When I was building my kit I thought of building this type of intake with sheet aluminum but I didn't have a TIG welder to fabricate the intake runners. Another option would be to mount the SC where the Alternator is located then plumb it back to the intake manifold.

I think Huntley's method is the best because it allow the SC to clear the brake booster, there really isn't allot of space to mount anything in that area, the are some small units from Mercedes and the VW Corrado that may fit.

Last edited by pormgb; 12-10-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:17 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Are intercoolers typically used in SC applications? I think on a high compression motor like that S2 pictured it would be a good idea.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:57 PM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Are intercoolers typically used in SC applications? I think on a high compression motor like that S2 pictured it would be a good idea.
With 8 valve motors you can run around 6 psi without an intercooler, you could probably get more with water injection, if you plan to run above 6 PSI you would probably need an intercooler.

As for the S2 with higher compression you could run the same boost but use water injection, intercoolers are normally used above 6-7 PSI. Knowing how much boost you can run is tricky, high intake temperature is deadly and can cause detonation, I use a J&S safe guard to keep an eye on knock which varies with outside air temperature and density.

I ran my setup with an intercooler, I was told the Paxton should produce up to 10 psi but I only saw 5 with an intercooler, you are supposed to loose 2-3 PSI through an average sized intercooler.

Huntley's stage 2 setup.

Last edited by pormgb; 12-10-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:22 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I said trying to turbo an N/A is dumb....to many things to do, especially when there's already a turbo 944 made.

The supercharger is the way to go on our cars. I like the setup you have there. Its definatly a "garage" project!

(That manifold looks like it would work, but its not to easy on the eyes lol)
Old 07-13-2008, 07:46 PM
pormgb
Racer

Default Supercharged 924S

Here is a good link, although its a 924S it gives you an idea how much power to expect from an Eaton M90 in a stage one configuration.

http://www.geocities.com/performance...24s/index.html

Quick Reply: centrifugal superchargers