Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

centrifugal superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:17 PM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95
I said trying to turbo an N/A is dumb....to many things to do, especially when there's already a turbo 944 made.

The supercharger is the way to go on our cars. I like the setup you have there. Its definatly a "garage" project!

(That manifold looks like it would work, but its not to easy on the eyes lol)
The picture with the intercooler is an early Huntley Racing Stage 2 prototype, the final product was much nicer. If you take a look at the 924S link it shows the kit for public consumption. This was actually a really nice kit but had a high sticker price, a Centrifugal kit is cheaper to fabricate but the SCs are more expensive (ATI Procharger). A roots type SC is cheaper (M90) and there are lots around but the intake plumbing is more difficult.

With regards to turbo vs SC its up to the individual, I purchased all the turbo plumbing quite cheap and it was very easy to install on my 86 motor compared to my Paxton SC. I really think the real issue why people don't turbo N/As is related to there being an existing turbo (951) and the ability to get all the turbo parts at once, if you run modest boost the motor will last (same issue with SC). If you build an SC kit yourself it going to take a fair amount of money and time, if you buy a kit its probably going to cost around 5k.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry...I missed that link. I'm checking it out now.

Do you have any more info on the 928S?
Old 07-14-2008, 04:59 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I found this gem in my googling.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pts/715830359.html

its an older post, but he might still have it!
Old 07-14-2008, 01:59 PM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by pormgb
Here is a good link, although its a 924S it gives you an idea how much power to expect from an Eaton M90 in a stage one configuration.

http://www.geocities.com/performance...24s/index.html
Very nice, I would even say the price is quite reasonable considering what it would cost to get all those parts individually. Based on my turbo conversion, I would say 8 PSI with an intercooler is pretty safe boost level.
The only question I have about these conversions is based on atmosphere and power output, I run and electronic boost controller so I can easily adjust boost/power out-put based on outside environment. Since boost is set by pulley size you must get quite a variation of power output based air temperature.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:10 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I've found some "electric" superchargers on the net. Does anyone know anything about these?

I'm not talkin about those cheap finned inserts for the intake tube with an RC car motor. These are real centrifical SCs with big electric motors on them. That would realy make for alot more options in mounting it in a 944 as it doesn't need to be hooked to the engine.

I don't know if they're a joke or not. I mean, if they did work, it would be brilliant. I've never seen anything like them.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:20 PM
pormgb
Racer

I've found some "electric" superchargers on the net. Does anyone know anything about these?

I'm not talkin about those cheap finned inserts for the intake tube with an RC car motor. These are real centrifical SCs with big electric motors on them. That would realy make for alot more options in mounting it in a 944 as it doesn't need to be hooked to the engine.

I don't know if they're a joke or not. I mean, if they did work, it would be brilliant. I've never seen anything like them.

I'd love to here the answer to this one !!

They would have to spin pretty quick to produce boost like a turbo or supercharger, turbos spin at above 150000 rpm and my Paxton with a 4" pulley spun at 39600 rpm at 6000 rpm engine speed. On the other hand you may end up with a portable generator in the trunk and a furnace motor under you hood driving the impeller!!
Old 07-14-2008, 05:41 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

http://www.boosthead.com/home.php

Thats the link for the site I found with electric SCs.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:28 PM
pormgb
Racer

http://www.boosthead.com/home.php

Thats the link for the site I found with electric SCs.

hmmm........

Take a look at another link on that site, thats quite a bit of hardware under the hood and in the trunk. The write up states that they get 6-7 PSI and 3 PSI at redline, I suppose you have weigh the performance with cost.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04...ger/index.html
Old 07-14-2008, 07:24 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Hey....you have an avatar..

Is your hood scoop functional? (thread hijack I know..sorry)

Yeah, that electric SC doesn't look to user friendly...but its a good idea.

If I did do the SC, I would want to keep my AC. I know people have done this, but I haven't seen any pics.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:37 PM
pormgb
Racer

Hey....you have an avatar..

Is your hood scoop functional? (thread hijack I know..sorry)

Yeah, that electric SC doesn't look to user friendly...but its a good idea.

If I did do the SC, I would want to keep my AC. I know people have done this, but I haven't seen any pics.
Yes, the scoop was initially installed to provide fresh air to the Paxton supercharger's intake, ironically the turbocharger sits just below the scoop so it helps keep under the hood a bit cooler.

With regards to keeping you AC, you would to go with a Eaton M90 type of supercharger that you see in the Huntley Racing pictures, my Paxton installation took the place of my alternator which was moved down to where the AC compressor is located.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone here did a "knight" or something electric supercharger, it costs well over a grand but he said there were results. The thing can only run for 15 second bursts, after that it has to recharge again.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:43 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I might need mine to last a bit longer than 15 seconds LMAO
Old 07-14-2008, 11:58 PM
bitburgerluvr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric sc

I gotta admit, that is pretty cool!!!!! I wonder if a person could tie something like that into a 944t crossover for superfast spool with a big turbocharger? Im sure it would take time and effort but just an idea. Maybe like a "y" design or something.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:02 AM
bitburgerluvr
Advanced

Ok, so the alternator is relocated. I kinda figured that.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:39 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by pormgb
This is what Huntley Racing used to sell. When I was building my kit I thought of building this type of intake with sheet aluminum but I didn't have a TIG welder to fabricate the intake runners. Another option would be to mount the SC where the Alternator is located then plumb it back to the intake manifold.I think Huntley's method is the best because it allow the SC to clear the brake booster, there really isn't allot of space to mount anything in that area, the are some small units from Mercedes and the VW Corrado that may fit.

The problem with the roots blowers and these cars is the heat the roots blower generates.It makes boost down low but on a high compression motor,the power it generates is minimal at best.On a low compression motor,the power would be next to nothing unless you crank the boost up but then the charge air temps become the problem.

We had one of the prototype Huntley cars come in.It was a 968 and it made a whopping 40 horsepower increase at 4 psi.Couldnt run more then that on pump gas because it would ping.Then we figured out a way to plumb an intercooler into the system and that got us another 2 psi and another 20 horseower.From their water injection was brought online and it netted another 10 horsepower. I have the pictures somewhere of this set-up wth intercooler,etc....it was pretty cool but just didnt deliver the performance. 60-70 extra WHP is fun but you become so used to it, it becomes "normal". There was another one of these set-ups on a 944S that we tried to help the customer with and it turned into the unreliable, money pit.

This is why we went with the cetrifugal unit.At first we put a huge ATI blower and it made good power,was hard to fit and exepnsive.Then we switched to a smaller blower,that was easier to package in one of these cars and actually mae more power then the larger blower(less parasitic loss).Overall though we have jad good reliability and a pretty damn good track record.

I had always thought about putting an centrifugal SC on a 951 and see what it does but I love turbos so that wasnt going to happen on my own car.LOL.

Quick Reply: centrifugal superchargers