Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

centrifugal superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:43 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tim, If you ever get the chance a twin screw would be a great option to try out . The efficiency is on Par with centrifical and with faster boost.

However. turbo is still king in the end.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Tim, If you ever get the chance a twin screw would be a great option to try out . The efficiency is on Par with centrifical and with faster boost.

Like a whipple? Dont say that word around here or Tony G will pop out of the woodwork That is what he designed the Huntley/Garica manifold for but Derrek was too cheap to use a Whipple and was using Eaton M90's since they we so cheap.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:58 AM
blown 944
Race Car

That's too bad I think they would have been pretty happy. The twin is around 75% efficiency vs 50-60 for an eaton.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:53 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My problem witht he SFR kit is the same with just about everything else I've seen. I don't want to lose my A/C. I don't think I'm delusional in thinking there is a way to mount a SC in there...somewhere without losing my AC. (perhaps I am)

Some day in the near future, when my 944 is off of DD duty, this is something I am serious about doing. but I'd like to be comfortable driving at 160 LOL
Old 07-15-2008, 02:54 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

I will say...I know the SFR kit is quality....which no one else has really shown
Old 07-15-2008, 03:15 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=36680

SOLD!! LMAO
Old 07-15-2008, 11:03 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by m73m95
My problem witht he SFR kit is the same with just about everything else I've seen. I don't want to lose my A/C. I don't think I'm delusional in thinking there is a way to mount a SC in there...somewhere without losing my AC. (perhaps I am)

Some day in the near future, when my 944 is off of DD duty, this is something I am serious about doing. but I'd like to be comfortable driving at 160 LOL
No not really I still have the AC working on this car. I just requires a custom manifold. Now if I could just find a cheap twin screw blower I'd be happy
Old 07-15-2008, 11:10 AM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTim
The problem with the roots blowers and these cars is the heat the roots blower generates.It makes boost down low but on a high compression motor,the power it generates is minimal at best.On a low compression motor,the power would be next to nothing unless you crank the boost up but then the charge air temps become the problem.

We had one of the prototype Huntley cars come in.It was a 968 and it made a whopping 40 horsepower increase at 4 psi.Couldnt run more then that on pump gas because it would ping.Then we figured out a way to plumb an intercooler into the system and that got us another 2 psi and another 20 horseower.From their water injection was brought online and it netted another 10 horsepower. I have the pictures somewhere of this set-up wth intercooler,etc....it was pretty cool but just didnt deliver the performance. 60-70 extra WHP is fun but you become so used to it, it becomes "normal". There was another one of these set-ups on a 944S that we tried to help the customer with and it turned into the unreliable, money pit.

This is why we went with the cetrifugal unit.At first we put a huge ATI blower and it made good power,was hard to fit and exepnsive.Then we switched to a smaller blower,that was easier to package in one of these cars and actually mae more power then the larger blower(less parasitic loss).Overall though we have jad good reliability and a pretty damn good track record.

I had always thought about putting an centrifugal SC on a 951 and see what it does but I love turbos so that wasnt going to happen on my own car.LOL.
Great information, I have never seen a review on the Huntley kit apart from the guy who has one on the 924S. I really understand what you mean about heat issues, my Paxton SN89 ran really hot and I had to use an oil cooler. Since the SN89 was a ball drive SC, on very hot days the impeller would slip and I would loose boost.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 AM
pormgb
Racer

I really agree that turbo is king, I'm not the most popular guy with a turbo on my N/A but compared to my previous SC experience my turbo runs like a dream. I won't have my N/A turbocharged very long, I'm actually building a turbo motor to install some time next year, once I felt the kick of the turbo I decided to go the low compression route and run more boost.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:17 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Ok sid.....I need details!!

That is a very clean looking setup you have. It looks professional, and its what I had pictured in my head.

How long have you had it (reliability issues?)
Have you had it dyno'd?
A list of all the parts you needed
And....... what if your alternator goes out? Is it a 3 day project to do anything that would be below the blower?

I'll take any information you care to give me

Fantastic!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Mark If you do a search under my name here and on Pelican (moreso Pelican) you will find everything you need and then some I'm sure

Pulling the blower and related parts only takes about an hr if that.

I wouldn't say it looks professional but it worked.

as for reliability, before I picked up the turbo car and decided to gut the 83 I was driving it daily for over 2 yrs with the blower on.

When I was at the end of messing with that car I was running 18 psi. I didn't dyno it but I ran a mid 13 at 105 at 5800 ft elevation. That equates to ~ 280-300 rwhp.

I will say I miss the initial grunt that car produced and that is why I have stopped trying to kill my current ride and get the looks done to get back to the 83. It is a lot of fun around town, much more than my 951.

Each car has it's fun value but I just love the way that car runs.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:01 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

It does look professional.....check out some other pics from people who have tried to add a blower.

Professional looking is different than Factory looking. It looks like something you added, but also, could be used everyday, and was thought out. Not some cobbled together tube, and a last min. run to autozone for a few things you missed.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:07 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

OH you're lil mule!

I've searched you before on Pelican. Yes, I do like your car alot.

And Damn it, I was back in Denver visiting family last weekend. I should have come taken some pictures......Maybe I'll send my wife!! lol
Old 07-15-2008, 01:08 PM
pormgb
Racer

Mark If you do a search under my name here and on Pelican (moreso Pelican) you will find everything you need and then some I'm sure

Pulling the blower and related parts only takes about an hr if that.

I wouldn't say it looks professional but it worked.

as for reliability, before I picked up the turbo car and decided to gut the 83 I was driving it daily for over 2 yrs with the blower on.

When I was at the end of messing with that car I was running 18 psi. I didn't dyno it but I ran a mid 13 at 105 at 5800 ft elevation. That equates to ~ 280-300 rwhp.

I will say I miss the initial grunt that car produced and that is why I have stopped trying to kill my current ride and get the looks done to get back to the 83. It is a lot of fun around town, much more than my 951.

Each car has it's fun value but I just love the way that car runs.
Am I missing something here, you ran 18 PSI on a N/A motor !!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:17 PM
pormgb
Racer

No not really I still have the AC working on this car. I just requires a custom manifold. Now if I could just find a cheap twin screw blower I'd be happy
Is this your car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMmX4caf5Us

Quick Reply: centrifugal superchargers