Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Expert elecrical advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:17 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Expert elecrical advice needed

I had a stero shop power up stereo, EBC, Innovate lc1, valentine one, and split second fuel controller.

I have not much electical knowlege, but I could tell it was a mess. Most have vampire conectors from one power cord to another starting w/ the red/green twisted wire behind the stereo.

I would like to run a wire from a switched power source and solder the wires. getting rid of the vampire connector for the MAF,EBC and WB o2 sensor. What is the best source for this, maybe a piggy back on one of the fuses, if so which one??

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-03-2008, 12:17 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

there should be plenty of switched sources right there in the console for the different accesories - especially if you dont have a rear wiper or one of those other options- just find one of those unused plugs in the harness under your cubby and use a test light to see which is switched.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

I hate to be cold but I have yet to find a stereo shop that can even set up a stereo correctly, let alone an EBC and all the other equipment they hacked in. Start with one component at a time and work backwards from there.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 AM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Would it be ok to tie these 3 (EBC ,WBo2, and MAF) ino once source like rear wiper?

Thanks For all input

It really pisses me off that the stereo shops where I am, which is very limited, has such crappy installs, I end up re wiring most of it, but I dont understand much about electronics, so I let them install, then I have to clean it up, but at least I know where wires attach. I added an alarm w/ door actuators, 10 speaker door panels, and led door pins and that was a real pain to get right.

Last edited by DrZ1; 07-03-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:44 PM
wolfenstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

vampire connectors=run run away fast, i used a switched power source to turn on a relay and fed my power from that, fused of course i used a reg. bosch relay IIRC it was rated at 30 amps
Old 07-03-2008, 08:46 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wolfenstein
vampire connectors=run run away fast, i used a switched power source to turn on a relay and fed my power from that, fused of course i used a reg. bosch relay IIRC it was rated at 30 amps

How would this work, I have wire soldered into the switched power for rear wiper, how do I solder in a relay and which and were to get???

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-08-2008, 12:03 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
there should be plenty of switched sources right there in the console for the different accesories - especially if you dont have a rear wiper or one of those other options- just find one of those unused plugs in the harness under your cubby and use a test light to see which is switched.
Thanks for all the advice,

I cut the power for the rear wiper and solder a wire and then solder 2 devices at the end, and vampire connected one more, so I has 3 tied into wire? worked fine for 2 days and today noticed nothing working. Need to put test light on it tonite.

Do you know what fuse or relay runs this, could not see rear wiper on electical fuse listing in the box.

Is this the wrong way to wire , having both sodered together at the end, vs in seires, one at a time?

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Run a fuse and relay and then use the rear wiper switch to switch the relay on. That way all the power is running off of the battery.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:04 PM
DrZ1
Rennlist Member

I will need to get advice to run the wire and relay, but I am not sure of which type/ size wire, which relay , ect..

They were working fine for a day or two but I think I overloaded the connection, but I dont see a fuse or relay that controls the rear wiper motor. Anyone know which one to check?

I would like to run one harness for all my aftermarket add ons, I would need to know, wire size / brand, tools needed to make connections, ecttt.

Sub amp
XM tuner module
LC-1 WB
EBC
Split second fuel cpu

Thanks for all help
Steve

Last edited by DrZ1; 07-13-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:11 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a standard 4 pin relay.

Take pin 85 and run it to ground,
Take pin 30 and run it to the battery.
Take pin 86 and wire it to your switched source (wiper key on power)
Take pin 87 and run your electronics to it.

Fuse your wire to termial 30, I am unsure of how much amperage those items take, but figure out there operating amperage and double it for your fuse. And a 30 amp relay will be more than enough.

This will be easy for you, in the future save yourself the hassle and just do it yourself, feel free to PM me if you need to.

Mark

Quick Reply: Expert elecrical advice needed