Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dyno results for Georges car-529WHP @ 23.4 psi

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:51 PM
RPHARRIS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems to me that this would be an awesome race car motor because of the huge HP at higher RPM's, but maybe not as practical for a street car?
The chart is deceptive because it takes more time to reach 23.4psi than say 12psi
(stock boost). Also engines spool differently on dynos than they do on the street. Nonetheless, just look at the numbers for second and ignore the shape of the curve. It's making nearly 200whp at 3500rpm. that means that its making a stock 951's peak horsepower 2000 rpm earlier than stock. THAT is streetable!! Just because the power keeps on building doesn't mean that it isn't making PLENTY in the midrange.

Last edited by RPHARRIS; 06-18-2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: typoooos
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Excellent overall results, would be a great track or street curve. Congrats.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 PM
George D
Drifting

You can't drive a dyno chart. This car has almost as much tq at 3K as your motor does at max tq. You have to drive the car to get an idea of how it feels. This turbo is on the big side. We could have used a smaller turbo and lowered the max hp numbers at the same boost to bring more tq lower, but when you have 250+ wheel tq at 3k, things are happening really fast when you are on it. Also, this car does go on the track and on the street. I wanted a 450whp car using 91 fuel without using a ton of boost. You have to use a fairly big turbo to get this done when you only have 3.0 liters of displacement. I'll get a long life out of this motor by running one bar of boost, and still be faster than most cars.

Not too bad for a little 4 banger.

My engine builder is experimenting with VGT turbos for our cars. If he gets them to work well on our cars, that will be my next turbo.

George

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Very nice. I remember seeing pictures posted of this beauty and it is amazing. I have some rookie comments/questions. Keep in mind that the only 951 I have driven is my 2.5l and it's only about 270/290 WHP/TQ, and I know relatively nothing about engine building/tuning.

It seems to me that this would be an awesome race car motor because of the huge HP at higher RPM's, but maybe not as practical for a street car? To me part of the allure of a 3.0l would be the lower-end torque and HP. I assume that the motor was designed for the high HP and TQ at higher RPM, but if you are planning on running only around 1 bar anyway, could it be tuned for more power at lower RPM's and if so, what would be changed? Is it because the turbo is so big that it needs higher RPM to get into it's efficiency range?

Again absolutely no offense or discrediting intended, I'm just trying to learn.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Sae corrected chart is up.

Tim
Old 06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes sense. I don't know what a car feels like compared to a dyno chart. Congrats on your monster, I think that "faster than most cars" is probably an understatement. VGT..now you're just teasing us.

Originally Posted by George D
You can't drive a dyno chart. This car has almost as much tq at 3K as your motor does at max tq. You have to drive the car to get an idea of how it feels. This turbo is on the big side. We could have used a smaller turbo and lowered the max hp numbers at the same boost to bring more tq lower, but when you have 250+ wheel tq at 3k, things are happening really fast when you are on it. Also, this car does go on the track and on the street. I wanted a 450whp car using 91 fuel without using a ton of boost. You have to use a fairly big turbo to get this done when you only have 3.0 liters of displacement. I'll get a long life out of this motor by running one bar of boost, and still be faster than most cars.

Not too bad for a little 4 banger.

My engine builder is experimenting with VGT turbos for our cars. If he gets them to work well on our cars, that will be my next turbo.

George
Old 06-18-2008, 11:03 PM
TurboTim
Banned

There is more power to be made on Georges car as we hit mid 13's in the mixture on the top-end so if we could have richened it up a bit we might have seen another 10-20 horsepower.The car is a screamer and althugh we had a few little issues, there was no major problems to contend with and the most amazing part is not one ping the whole time.We are doing a compression and leakdown test and looking over the vehicle to make sure it is in good shape so George can come get it.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:49 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's fantastic George! Great job Tim! That motor looks exactly like my motor would be if I could run 23.5 psi. At 21psi, I'm at 480. I don't think I could run 23.5 without blowing something. Great job guys. Now lets hope the tranny holds up. Mine didn't. That's a screamin' motor. Let us know how it keeps cool in the desert heat. Jeremy down there runs a Griffin radiator and says he can run in traffic in 120F with no problems. I run stock and in case you do too, I get a tad warm during the day.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:57 PM
TurboTim
Banned

I put up a little video.There is a link in my first post.Nothing spectacular.I am working on the super killer video but it wont be ready for a day or so.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:55 AM
George D
Drifting

We have a custom radiator. I forget who Tim had build it, but we barely get above the first line on the temp guage. We also have an oil cooler installed at the stock stock intercooler location. This added two extra quarts of oil, and seems to really help keep things cool.

I hope to take the car home this weekend.

George

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
That's fantastic George! Great job Tim! That motor looks exactly like my motor would be if I could run 23.5 psi. At 21psi, I'm at 480. I don't think I could run 23.5 without blowing something. Great job guys. Now lets hope the tranny holds up. Mine didn't. That's a screamin' motor. Let us know how it keeps cool in the desert heat. Jeremy down there runs a Griffin radiator and says he can run in traffic in 120F with no problems. I run stock and in case you do too, I get a tad warm during the day.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Great work guys!

I have the exact same under-radio cut-outs, but made out of ABS Tap plastic...
Old 06-19-2008, 01:03 AM
Ballistic-Chapman
Burning Brakes

We need to set up a meet @ SFR sometime... would love to see this monster in person!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:39 AM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice curves George.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:44 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Noticed you guys are here in san diego... Do you have a four wheel drive Dyno?
Old 06-19-2008, 11:27 AM
George D
Drifting

I'm speaking for Tim here, but he does have access to a AWD dyno.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:29 AM
George D
Drifting

Sean,

Are you talking about me? You'll drive it soon, and we'll see if you like it. We've got some suspension work and front brakes to do out here.
Originally Posted by azmi951
Nice curves George.

Quick Reply: Dyno results for Georges car-529WHP @ 23.4 psi