Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ideas on clamping boost pressure. By George I got it done

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:18 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to the track this friday. My fastest 1/4 mile time needs to be beaten.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:32 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I'm going on Saturday. There is some sort of import shootout going on.

I doubt I'll beat your time though my car is full weight (not an excuse just my thoughts).

Hopefully it'll be a low to mid 12
Old 06-05-2008, 10:35 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Just put some sticky tires on there. You should come very close if not beat it.

But for almost a year now I've wanted to go to an import shoot out. Haven't run one in so many years.

Hopefully you can sow them what "other" Imports can do.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Edman951
Pro

Hey nice work Sid.
Very cool, i've been wanting to try that but never got around to try it since i was sure the voltage was the problem.
I will try it on my car soon.

I have 72lb injector with 928 pump, but last time I was saw dropping fuel pressure at high rpm. So i was leaning out. I will have to solve that problem before going over 20 psi with my GT30R.

Thanks bros.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:44 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Nice work man! Would love a ride!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:15 PM
GPF
Instructor

Hi Sid, congrats on getting it sorted!

When the cutout happened, was it violent and sudden - like hitting the rev limiter hard? I have had that ever since I fitted the AFML but I get it at 18psi and have never cured it. After exhausting all suggestions and ideas I ended up dropping the boost to 16psi to stop it happening, which was a real pisser.

I'll have to dust off the Link programmer and plumb a bleed/relief valve of some sort into the map line and try it out!

Regards

Graham

Last edited by GPF; 06-17-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:11 PM
blown 944
Race Car

very quick like a rev limiter, just cuts fuel.

I wonder if you are having spark plug gap or coil issues? I had that when I first started messing with this car running more pressure right around 17-18 psi. If you haven't tried reducing the plug gap I would try that first then coil.

The reason I say this is that it was very distinct that the cutout I am talking about in this thread was definately related to the MAP sensor being out of it's range (22-23 PSI) and pressure is pressure so I am thinking that is not your issue

Since getting this sorted I have been very happy with the setup. I haven't even had to plug the controller back in for a bit. Now If I could just feel the same about my friggen clutch
Old 06-17-2008, 07:37 PM
GPF
Instructor

Ah yes. Plug gap was one of the first things I looked at, then I also switched to Iridiums. Coil was the next, so I put a new one on.....followed by Dizzy cap, rotor arm, and plug leads. I also wondered about the 5v vs 4.7v issue but eliminated that by increasing fuel pressure to 4.0 bar and decreasing voltage by tuning the link to keep vDME below 4.5v whille giving the same fuelling. Nothing changed it.

I've run with the klr disconnected, changed chips, everything short of replacing the DME - which was my next step if I could have got my hands on one to try.

My problem feels like hitting the rev limiter hard at high boost, but not 100% consistantly. On some datalogs I did catch some cell refs outside the Link's normal range (like 1040 instead of 940) but Danno always said it wouldn't matter.

After leaving it alone for the last 2 years, I think it's time to try something else - and your solution seems like a good place to start.

Regards

Graham
Old 06-18-2008, 11:23 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Sid,

You didn't blow up your car with that high boost did ya? I was driving by 119 and the frontage road and saw a stranded red 951 about a week and half ago. Thought it was probably yours.

Hope everything is OK and nothing serious.

What did you do to run E85? I figure that since I have authority chips that run really rich anyways (even with the stock FPR) I can throw in my 3bar FPR regulator and I should be at least 20% rich and be able to run E85.

My only concern is that the Authority chips are fat in the middle (really fat) but may not be as fat up top.

What tricks did you use? E85 is a cheap source of 105 octane fuel.

-Dana
Old 06-18-2008, 12:00 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Dana,
Ha, Ya I am sure that was me.. Just on the east side of I 25

I had a Ball joint that was pretty sloppy and all of a sudden it started to shake more than I was comfortable with (had my 2 boys with me picking up movies at McD's ) so I pulled over and checked it out. I didn't like it, so we caught a ride home with a buddy that was right behind me. I then babied it home ( less than a mile) and now I have new joints and bushings from rennbay . That was probably the easiest thing I have done to this thing.

As far as the E85. I think that if you can get enough to it you will be surprised at how it runs. You may even like it being a little rich as it seems to build a bit more torque and the nice thing about alcohol fuels is that you can run them pretty rich w/o effecting performance.

I didn't really use too many tricks per se. I drove it home changed out the front fuel lines added fuel pressure gauge, a went into longmont filled it up with E85 and turned up the fuel pressure to about 45-50 psi. That was enough to run about 17 psi on the stock setup before I had to mess with plugs and coil. At that point I started messing with the WG and turned up the FP to around 60-65 then I cranked up the boost on the k 26. I was able to run up to about 20 psi falling to 14 on that setup. Blew up the turbo and then bigger turbo and the supplemental fueling and since a few other turbos and here I am now in need of a better clutch .

that is the short story of this car. I've had it about 8-10 months now I think.

I had been running it in my S/C car for a couple of years already so I had no problems using it in this one.
Instead of throwing a 3 bar on maybe pick up an adjustable unit .

If you are in that area you are literally a minute from my house you should stop by and do it on an empty tank we'll go fill it up and tune it in.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:07 PM
blown 944
Race Car

GPF

It may very well be that your MAP sensor is maxxing out earlier then. Have you watched the MAP (kpa) when it does it?? Mine would do it at 240 or just over every time. I now have it tuned to run in the 210-220 cels at about 24 psi for a safety margin to keep it from happening

Do try that Grainger valve, it has worked very well for me.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:00 PM
GPF
Instructor

What, you want me to drive the car, keep it straight, balance the Link tuner somewhere, look at that, not hit anything, watch the revs, watch the boost guage, watch the AFR and boot it through 3rd at full bore to the redline? With the boost turned up?? Are you insane???

No, on a full throttle run I'm just looking forward through the windscreen (windshield to you over there) or maybe out of the side window if it's a bit damp....

Ha Ha, I'll try that next time I take the car out - have to find the programmer first though.

Regards

Graham
Old 06-18-2008, 01:36 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Ha, no not by yourself .

I had my brother watch the kpa and tell me what it showed when it cut.

He was actually the one that I had turn the grainger valve when trying to get it sorted too.

I had him watch the kpa then have it cut then I would tell him to turn the **** on the valve whatever direction, then watch the kpa again, once it ran at high boost then tell me what cel it was in when I said "NOW" while watching the gauge.

I am a little crazy but not so much to watch all those things at the same time
Old 06-18-2008, 01:53 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by blown 944
GPF

It may very well be that your MAP sensor is maxxing out earlier then. Have you watched the MAP (kpa) when it does it?? Mine would do it at 240 or just over every time. I now have it tuned to run in the 210-220 cels at about 24 psi for a safety margin to keep it from happening

Do try that Grainger valve, it has worked very well for me.
Do you know what exactly is happening to your Link when you exceed 240? I take it that it doesn't simply stay in the last cell like mine does? Have you watched it to see what cell it goes to or what it does after 240?

I wonder if there are various Link versions that act slightly different when exceed the sensor.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:15 PM
blown 944
Race Car

It will not stay in the last cel. It would sometimes blip to 250 but then it would cut and go back down to whatever then engine was pulling.

I wonder the same thing, maybe it was an update??? I never got a response on the forum

If I start to have any issues (don't think it will happen) or if I decide to do away with the supplemental and go to bigger injectors, I may try to install a 3 bar map and calibrate it then. For now it is working good so I'm just going to leave it and do the other work to the car.

Quick Reply: Ideas on clamping boost pressure. By George I got it done