Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

porshh951s project thread. Z germans are coming!@!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:19 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default porshh951s project thread. Z germans are coming!@!

Well damn you budget! Damn you to hell. I really want to finish my track car but, it looks like all of that will have to be put on hold.

I had the head pulled and there was enough cylinder scoring to warrent pulling the old motor AND.....if im going to do that might as well make a few upgrades while you are in there kind of thing. After all i'm still running that little 26 turbo and old outdated software.

I initially put in a budget of 5k total for everything. Parts labor ect. I wasn't intending on doing anything to the motor except make some repairs and change out belts/hoses/ect. That went to hell in a handbasket quick.

I found a motor a fellow lister was willing to part with that had already been assembled. Nothing fancy just a basic 2.5ltr with knife edged crank shaft/web cam and a few other misc. goodies. Lindsey stage 2 head is also going on the motor.

I decided to bite a huge bullet and put a deposit on a vitesse racing turbo kit with injectors. Only problem is that "was" my entire motor budet. So now im selling all my old crap to help pay for the mother of all turbo kits...A vitesse stage 2 with new software. Look for a for sale thread to come up shortly with all shorts of crap thats coming off of the car as well as old parts that i've never fooled with selling. Two sets of wheels going as well.

This thread will catalog this several month journey we are about to undertake. The gentlemen doing the motor swap and build will chime in here shortly. I've been corresponding with him for over a month now. He has 13 years porsche mechanical expeirence and has worked for several race teams. Im fully confident in his skills(I hope so i've already sent the check). He will be repairing many other things wrong with the car while the motor is out.

Like the fact my firewall has never full recovered from that wall impact several years ago at the track. I'm sure we will run into many gremlins along the way since the car has been sitting since dinosaurs roamed the earth but, we will manage.

I'm a footage ***** you all know that so expect many pictures and video to be up about this thing. Gabe will be taking pics of everything that he is doing and sending them to me. I'll be uploading them as we progress. When the car finally is back expect more vids from me. It'll be nice to see her out there roaming around again.

Trailer came and picked her up today.

Gabe... feel free to chime in here buddy. I'm sure your going to be flooded with questions I simply can't answer.

Oh btw there will be some brand new interesting things that I will have the honor of being the first customer on. I'm looking forward to strapping her to the dyno and taking her to the track for you guys. You know I plan on running the crap outta it, I don't know any other way to be.

close.....

sitting on the trailer

some pics of the motor gabe has sent me.

When she actually gets back imma stick these on her.

Still need many parts... will be buying as we go along. Will update when we can. Wish me luck lord knows i'll need it. Poor gabe had no idea what he signed himself up for. muahahah
Old 05-04-2008, 04:24 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I started that project also. A year later I have a ton of parts, a running 944 cup car, and a turbo still in pieces.

One of these years...
Old 05-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for this exciting thread, John. Should be an interesting journey, since we know you have a habit of following through with whatever you take on!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:07 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Thanks for this exciting thread, John. Should be an interesting journey, since we know you have a habit of following through with whatever you take on!
Yes I wouldn't start something I couldn't finish. Its just like the 968 rear end project. Sure it took several months but, dammit we finished it didn't we. haha.

Even though we aren't really building the motor this is certainly a chunk of change, alot more so than I was planning on spending but, alas thats how it go's I suppose. When I get her back everything will be worth it.

just wait till you see my interior thread later this year...
Old 05-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought both sides of the crank usually get knife edged? Anyway it looks nice, cant wait to see more videos
Old 05-04-2008, 01:04 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like its going to be a great project. I can't wait to see that For Sale thread especially since my stimulus package just came yesterday!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Phil R
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cory9584
I thought both sides of the crank usually get knife edged? Anyway it looks nice, cant wait to see more videos
thats a good point.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:03 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cory9584
That's a stock crank.

For reference.

Last edited by MPD47; 05-04-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:07 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

==^ that is some widebody mike! any more pics?

porshh951 - your car is so f'in sweet. If I ever get a black 951 it is getting a 968 rear.. .
Old 05-04-2008, 11:40 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Turbo badge needs to come off (or center it like the 968's), ruins the clean rear end IMHO...
Old 05-05-2008, 12:07 AM
Reimu
Drifting

I agree, I think it would look better centered.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:12 AM
jf951
Instructor

looking forward to following this project, good luck.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Can't wait to see progress. Next time I'm back home in DFW we have to get a GTG started.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:04 AM
porshhhh951
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Turbo badge needs to come off (or center it like the 968's), ruins the clean rear end IMHO...
Originally Posted by CameronKame
I agree, I think it would look better centered.
eh i toyed with where to put it and honestly I tested it in the center and didn't really like it that much.
Originally Posted by jf951
looking forward to following this project, good luck.
thankyou very much. I look forward to actually having it back.
Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Can't wait to see progress. Next time I'm back home in DFW we have to get a GTG started.
werd...
Old 05-05-2008, 02:43 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

so what wheels might you be selling?

Quick Reply: porshh951s project thread. Z germans are coming!@!