Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 05:14 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A couple of issues-Updated

Hey guys,

Bare with me, it's a kind of long post, sorry.

The first problem is the exhaust headers; I found a local Porsche used parts shop, and he had a couple of 951 engines, so i took a set of very nice headers. I cleaned them up using brake cleaner and solvents at home before i installed them. Problem is, now the headers just keep smoking like crazy. It smoked so much, i can't even drive it, and when i went under the car, it appears that there is an oil-like substance stuck between the factory heat shield and the header. The flange on runners 1-4 is covers in that stuff, when i placed my finger on it, it appears to be oil, but odorless . When it is cold, that stuff is sticky like tar.

Could it be that there is some grease/dirt stick between the header and heat shield while the exhaust was sitting for all those years at the shop?

Would i cause any damage to the headers if i remove them, send them out to a electro-plating shop to have them dipped in hydrochloric acid (clean and removes dirt., rust, scales etc)?

My second probelm is the engine mounts. I did not replace both driver and passenger side at the same time due to time; I started with the passenger side. When i replaced the PS engine mount, i went for a drive, during a u-turn in a parking lot, i heard and felt a slight clunk coming from that engine mount. When i checked, the engine appears to have twisted. When i say twisted, i mean that the passenger side is a lot higher than the driver side, to the point that i the oil dipstick tube is leaning on the brake master cylinder heat shield.

I replaced the driver's side after a week, but no difference. So i removed the PS engine mount and re-mounted/checked it (to make sure it did not break or anything), but still the same problem.

What did i do wrong? i followed the manual.......any ideas?

Sorry for the long post, but it has been 5 days where i checked, checked, checked and checked the car over again, to make sure that i need help.

Thanks guys, and sorry for the long post.

Last edited by hosrom_951; 05-11-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:50 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not Sure
Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

everything tight? never heard of an engine twisting like that.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:55 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Too much torque!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:17 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Everything torqued up to specs, with exception of the lower motor mount nuts (accessibility is a PITA).

But those nuts are hand tight.

I saw on clarks that you should scribe the cross member to chassis, but the manual never covers that parts, could that have anything to do with it?

Is there any alignment issues with the x-member?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:21 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

I meant too much hp/ torque
too much power in those 951's
Old 04-24-2008, 08:23 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dillon410021
I meant too much hp/ torque
too much power in those 951's
LOL, it is not the chassis/engine twist you get from power. The engine is just not sitting straight/level.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:25 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

thats weird and you weren't under much power
Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Do all the x-members have these slots on the driver's side? (the passenger side has holes).

Maybe that is the problem? maybe i need to "push" the x-member more towards the passenger side?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:07 PM
wolfenstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 headers, get rid of the heat shields and then clean the headers, 2 get a fresh set of mounts, get underneath it 1st and verify you don't have other issues, both of my cars were slotted as well
Old 04-25-2008, 04:48 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi Hos,
headers - agree with wolfenstein to get rid of the shields and clean them. Either with an electric wire brush or send them out to some place to fix it.

Engine mounts - the crossmember is difficult not to install the right way so that shouldn't be a problem.
If the engine is twisted that means the whole torque tube and transaxle is twisted too.

I would:
a) Verify that the crossmember is installed correctly
b) loosen the contral arms from the body and crossmember. Just 3 bolts on each side.
c) loosen the engine mount main nuts and put a jack under the pan. Raise the engine a bit, put the jack on the lowest point. Try to wiggle/rotate the engine in a more correct position.
d) reinstall everything...
Old 04-25-2008, 06:33 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Guys,
When i look closer to the x-members pictures, and i think about my situation, i believe that the engine is not actually "twisted". But it is moved a few millimeters to the driver's side.......

As for the headers, i thought the factory shields were good? if i remove them, i cannot install them (tried that before with the OEM headers on the car, no one here can weld them back on).

Thanks for the tips Duke, i will give that a try.

PS: Do i need to disconnect the steering shaft from the rack?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:49 AM
wolfenstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best thing to do is scrap the shields and have the headers coated-jet hot, swain etc. i do this on just about every car, truck etc i put headers on
Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Take the easy way out - drive the car hard for an extended period - it will cook off the 'stuff'. It is common to get oil inside there - especially if the cam tower was removed with the engine in place – that always dumps oil down the headers. It will burn off with enough heat.
As far as the engine position – I haven’t seen that before, just keep looking for something ‘odd’!
Old 05-11-2008, 08:24 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Got the exhaust sorted out, i drilled out the spot welds and still could not remove the heat shields. So i grinded down the edges and was able to remove them.

There is asbestos lining the heat shields and the exhaust, and the ones on runners 1-4 were just soaked with oil ( i could have just drove the car foir a while, but with the exhaust smoking for three days, it just freaked me out).

For the first time in 2 years, i believe i have a 100% leak free exhaust from headers to tail pipe.

It took me a while because i am just hogged with paper work for the big move to Germany, and i deiced that i will not fully repair my current 951. When i go to Bavaria, and IF i find a good 951 there, i will purchase one, and have two instead of going through the hassle of paper work and shipping the car, emissions conversion and so on.

Now, tomorrow i will tackle the engine mounts, and i believe i know what went wrong. I remember when the x-member bolts loose, i leaned on teh hub causing the steering to turn a few degrees towards the driver side, that could be why the engine moved a bit to that direction. But i would find out tomorrow night.

Quick Reply: A couple of issues