Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3 liters of tranny-blowing power

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
You did the urethane pour in the mount? Have you had any occasion to see it and find out how well it's holding up?
Sorry to hear about your mishap, Tom. You missed a nice drive today.
I filled my trans mount with urethane a couple years ago. I can feel more vibration at idle, otherwise I can't tell it's there. If I had to do it over I'd use a softer blend, like 50A.
Hardness scale; http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-rubbe...dness/=100ywj1

Last edited by Dave W.; 11-29-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Added link for Hardness Scale
Old 11-29-2015, 08:40 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
You did the urethane pour in the mount? Have you had any occasion to see it and find out how well it's holding up?
Yes, did it several years ago. It has held up with no issues.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:57 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Stupid question but I had a situation where the car suddenly lost drive (while many hours away from home). Thought it was internals of the transmission. Turned out to be the bolts on the CV had backed out. After getting towed back home I felt stupid with the cause...
Old 11-29-2015, 10:56 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh, well have you seen the Lindsey racing CV axles? They talk them up to be impressive. I don't know first hand but was wanting to get a set in the future.
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944CVAXLELR.html
Old 11-30-2015, 12:23 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W.
Sorry to hear about your mishap, Tom. You missed a nice drive today.
I filled my trans mount with urethane a couple years ago. I can feel more vibration at idle, otherwise I can't tell it's there. If I had to do it over I'd use a softer blend, like 50A.
Hardness scale; http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-rubbe...dness/=100ywj1
Sorry I missed it, but does sound like a great outing! I initially thought the clutch was trashed somehow... Then thought maybe the transaxle, then finally thought to check the axles, so felt much better when I found it all loose...

Originally Posted by refresh951
Yes, did it several years ago. It has held up with no issues.
Ok, it's on the list. I'd just rather do it the next time I'm removing the tranny, since the car is one axle away from running fine by lunch... but we'll see.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Stupid question but I had a situation where the car suddenly lost drive (while many hours away from home). Thought it was internals of the transmission. Turned out to be the bolts on the CV had backed out. After getting towed back home I felt stupid with the cause...
Not stupid, I checked for sure. I had marked the bolts with torque paint and they hadn't backed out at all...

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Oh, well have you seen the Lindsey racing CV axles? They talk them up to be impressive. I don't know first hand but was wanting to get a set in the future.
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/944CVAXLELR.html
I might start by seeing if it was the shaft or the CV cage...Not a huge fan of going to stronger axles if the real issue is transaxle movement, but maybe. Also want to look into making a brace...

Quick Reply: 3 liters of tranny-blowing power