Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OK...what's this...? ("clunk" in the rear - rv)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008 | 12:59 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK...what's this...? ("clunk" in the rear - rv)

I finally get the electrical mess figured out with the harness (turned out to be a combination of a few things) and cruised around the block for first time in almost a year!! OMG....can't wait to get it tuned. Anyway, I'm now feeling a "clunk" in the rear when i take off or shift through the gears (ugh!!) It wasn't there before the tear down/rebuild and have been informed that it sounds/feels like the CV's are shot!! At least the right side. Could they do this if they're in a different position than they were before ?? If someone has any experience with a bad CV joint can you describe how it sounds or feels when they're on their way out. I would appreciate it. And, if that's what it is, can you recommend a good source for rebuilding them and/or the best way to go about it and where to get parts? Thanks in advance for the assistance...
Old 03-18-2008 | 01:26 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CVs tend to click and are difficult to hear at higher speeds. Stop driving it and just take it apart, clean, and put new grease in it. Good as new.
Old 03-18-2008 | 02:12 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

...this isn't a "click" it's a "clunk" you can definitely feel/hear something. It happens almost every time i let the clutch out or shift. By grabbing the CV axle with my hand and pushing it toward the wheel i can make it hit something... in the boot? Is this normal? Could the axles be thrust outward like this when the diff starts turning? Who would be the best source for parts? THANKS
Old 03-18-2008 | 07:41 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Start with checking anything you may have had apart back there during the teardown. Torque tube, trans mounts, shifter linkage, etc. A noise like this should be able to be duplicated with the car in stands.... carefully. I had a customer in here recently with the same type noise, and it was the left CV axle hitting the hub with very little effort.
Old 03-18-2008 | 08:30 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the axels can be moved side to side- hows your clutch- replaced? When the center dies it will clunk on excel/decel
Old 03-18-2008 | 08:43 AM
hansman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "clunk" could be many things.
Do you have a limited slip?
Which side is clunking?
It could just be a loose shock bolt or .........
Old 03-18-2008 | 09:30 AM
sawood12
Racer

My exhaust backbox (muffler?) clunks sometimes, espeicially on downshifts. There is no detriment to the feel of the car - just an audiable clunk as the box swings against the heat shield. I have an aftermarket backbox that is alot larger than the stock item so there is less clearance.
Old 03-18-2008 | 11:05 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Doug - did exactly that...went through every bolt & nut from the bell housing back. Even checked the shock mounts and all were tight. How much effort does/should it take to move the axle?

Dan - brand new clutch, disk & FW

Thanks for all the input, sounds like it's pointing to the CV's. Any advice on where to get parts to fix?
Old 03-18-2008 | 12:46 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
Doug - did exactly that...went through every bolt & nut from the bell housing back. Even checked the shock mounts and all were tight. How much effort does/should it take to move the axle?

Dan - brand new clutch, disk & FW

Thanks for all the input, sounds like it's pointing to the CV's. Any advice on where to get parts to fix?
paragon
Old 03-18-2008 | 06:41 PM
Whitt944
Always Wears Protection
Rennlist Member

My clunking was shot tranny mounts and a bad clutch. One mount was broken in half.
Old 03-19-2008 | 01:47 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Whitt944 - had a friend drive it and trans mounts is what he thinks...

Thanks for all help guys!!

Quick Reply: OK...what's this...? ("clunk" in the rear - rv)