Old 05-01-2008, 05:05 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeN951
Lart,

Did you sell the tires and wheels from an earlier offer in this thread?
yes, they were sold. Anybody interested in a 89 shell?
Old 05-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reno

PM me some pics and a price.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:27 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kool
Reno

PM me some pics and a price.
ight pm me your email. i'll get those pics with him today tomorrow. You want both?
Old 05-01-2008, 05:29 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reno808
That he has and he backs up his products (100%)
I've been very very pleased with larts parts this past week. He does everything he promises
Old 05-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I want just one. I am going to try the dual cooler set up.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:07 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 2bridges
I bought new JEs for $13 each. Lart i will give you $22 for all four shipped, or 9 chimichangas
DAMN! How much for the chimichangas? you can pm me if you want that info to be private!
Old 05-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Judson951
Drifting

Some interesting information I just came across. You know what they say, every story has two sides.

What RKD fails to tell anyone in his postings is that thread is that his car admittedly ran bad since picking it up from another shop, but wasn't interested in looking into it's cause since it had been there for 2-3 months but wanted to drive it instead. So without a working wide band to see if the A/Fs were even close to being safe, you know... since it ran crappy and all, he goes Auto-Xing the car anyway. When you think of our local Auto-X course, think small road race coarse hitting speeds as high as 100mph (redline in 3rd).

He blows a head gasket a few days later and with the car puking smoke like it's on fire he tells me, on the way home he has to sit through a stop light while still running and continues to drive the car home. 2 minutes... 5 minutes... longer??? I don't care. It should of been turned off the moment smoke was seen to prevent any further damage.

So we are runnning a car that has water in the cylinder(s), less and less coolant cooling the cylinders, water mixing with the oil, creating a weak engine lubricant, expanding pistons and tightening cylinders with heat, and who knows what else going on... o yeah, the a/f is probably off to... But we can't tell since the gauge doesn't work.

In frustration he sells the car to Luis Artiga in CA. Luis receives the car. Luis carelessly (that's a pleasant way to put it) starts and runs the car when it gets there...

(his complete e-mail to me 3-32-08)

yes, I ran it for 2-3 minutes, it has no coolant so I can't drive it for long time just enough to move it around.

(end)

I don't know about you guys... but my car is up to full operating temp in 2-3
minutes with coolant in it!

That's a great way to help move any problems right along, don't you think? No coolant in the car. Oil and water mixed. Just what it needed before tearing
down the engine and showing miss/un-informed people what you find.

So now... the RL crowd looks at pretty pictures of pistons, blown gasket, scratched piston pins, and thinks that it's the engine builder that did something wrong, and probably have NO idea what severe abuse that engine went through for 10 minutes total run time prior to pulling it apart.

So it's Lindsey doesn't know what they are doing!... look at that cylinder after only 4500 miles!... Those pistons are to loose!... Who built that engine!... etc...

Maybe, just maybe those cylinders and pistons looked perfect after 4400 miles
and it was that last 100, especially that last 10 minutes that killed it.

Or... maybe these engines don't really need water and oil... I don't know...

Now a couple of the guys really even have no business saying anything. One having an engine builder known for putting piston rings on upside down
and the other who installs the main bearings upside down.

I'm sure RKD won't be real pleased when reading this, but I'm not real pleased either. Since he doesn't seem mind his car being parted, he may not mind this either.

If you have questions about that engine... fire away! Why ask people who DON'T KNOW!

Could it be that the real reason that engine looks a litte worn inside, and I do mean a little considering it's abuse, is not that LR doesn't know how to build an engine but that maybe the last two owners could of done things a little differently taking care of it?

Cooling off... Winding down....
Old 05-01-2008, 11:38 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Okay I take the blame I blow the head gasket.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Judson - you must be kidding right??

If one piston was scored up from a bent rod due to coolant hydrolock in a cylinder that would be one thing......
But all four pistons scored to ****, wrist pins are already showing wierd wear.... sorry bro somthing was wrong.

Coolant in the combustion chamber does not "expand pistons" or "tightening cylinders with heat"
Most times it will not allow combustion, or such poor combustion it makes far less heat than normal

________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Hey lart did you Mic the bores yet??
Please do - that would really tell a story
I would really like to know.... any machine shop would probably do it for free too... takes 1 minute..... and maybe take your camera and photo the micrometer reading - Pictures can't scew or mislead just speak volumes
Old 05-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Judson951
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2bridges
Judson - you must be kidding right??

If one piston was scored up from a bent rod due to coolant hydrolock in a cylinder that would be one thing......
But all four pistons scored to ****, wrist pins are already showing wierd wear.... sorry bro somthing was wrong.

Coolant in the combustion chamber does not "expand pistons" or "tightening cylinders with heat"
Most times it will not allow combustion, or such poor combustion it makes far less heat than normal

________________________________________________________________________ ___________

Hey lart did you Mic the bores yet??
Please do - that would really tell a story
I would really like to know.... any machine shop would probably do it for free too... takes 1 minute..... and maybe take your camera and photo the micrometer reading - Pictures can't scew or mislead just speak volumes

I did not write that. Just passing along some info I came across.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:43 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

That post was on the turbo944 board by David Lindsey.
I'm trying very hard to not say anything negative towards LR or their build.

The car running bad was specifically running rough on cold starts for 30 seconds, then it ran fine. The season changed to winter and ambient temps dropped significantly the months the car was in the other shop! I figured the chip was "cold natured" and is why I mentioned it to LR.

When the head gasket went on my 88 Turbo S, I not only drove it several miles home, I also drove it 10 miles to the shop to get it replaced. It only smoked when idleing at a stop just like this car. It didn't cause any other internal problems then. And before running the motor for 60 seconds to load it on the trailer to deliver the car to LART, I changed the oil and topped up the water in the reservoir. There was only about 2 tablespoons of water in the oil I drained out. The magnet drain plug was clean and the oil had no sediment of any kind. The 88 had major oil and water mix as the entire head gasket was shot, just crumbled with they took the head off, it wasn't torched in one place on one cylinder like on this car.

My theory. The car had Raceware head studs that the instructions from Raceware say to re-torque after 500 miles. This was never done to the car. Mike does some sort of infared heat cycling instead when he installs the head. It seems to me that heat cycling thing doesn't work too well to replace re-torquing the head bolts. And I say that because when the car was a 2.5 with the K27/8 and then Super61 I went through all kinds of tuning both good and bad. When I first got the car the MBC was set up single port on the stock wastegate, k27/8, Autothority MAF and stock injectors and it was hitting 21psi or whatever the K27/8 would pump out. The autothority ran lean lean lean on partial throttle but was fine full throttle. The EGT that was on #3 2 inches from the exhaust port saw temps as high as 2000°F as it hit redline full throttle just before the shift. Normal driving around they got as high as 1700°F. When LR tore the 2.5 down they found that not only were the bearings about to go (rod knock is why I started the rebuild), the wrist pins were bent and the girdle was stretched. Seems it had seen some serious detonation to bend that stuff, AND YET with all that damage it didn't blow the head gasket on the o-ringed head! WTF.

Frustrated? Hell Yes!

I would have hoped a local build with that low of miles LR would have at least offered to tear it down enough to diagnose the cause if anything to make sure it wasn't a mistake they made. Nope, too busy to mess with it. After this thread started, two weeks after the gasket went, Mike did offer me a whole $6500 for the car. Guess they wouldn't be too busy if they could make some money off reselling it once repaired. Frankly, I was very disappointed to hear, "the other mechanic you took it to messed it up," when all they worked on was the alternator and oil/amp gauges; or "You didn't have a working wideband what do you expect."

Like I said before. I am not a mechanic, I do NOT enjoy or even want to have to be wrenching on any car. Nor do I want a car that is ALWAYS in the shop, I want to drive it. I realized after the 2.8 only lasted 4500 miles that there is NOT a "tuner shop" or even a "mechanic" in OKC that can keep a modified 951 running, so I sold it and am looking for a Porsche that isn't a challenge to get serviced.

Last edited by RKD in OKC; 05-02-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:35 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Judson951
Some interesting information I just came across. You know what they say, every story has two sides.

What RKD fails to tell anyone in his postings is that thread is that his car admittedly ran bad since picking it up from another shop, but wasn't interested in looking into it's cause since it had been there for 2-3 months but wanted to drive it instead. So without a working wide band to see if the A/Fs were even close to being safe, you know... since it ran crappy and all, he goes Auto-Xing the car anyway. When you think of our local Auto-X course, think small road race coarse hitting speeds as high as 100mph (redline in 3rd).

He blows a head gasket a few days later and with the car puking smoke like it's on fire he tells me, on the way home he has to sit through a stop light while still running and continues to drive the car home. 2 minutes... 5 minutes... longer??? I don't care. It should of been turned off the moment smoke was seen to prevent any further damage.

So we are runnning a car that has water in the cylinder(s), less and less coolant cooling the cylinders, water mixing with the oil, creating a weak engine lubricant, expanding pistons and tightening cylinders with heat, and who knows what else going on... o yeah, the a/f is probably off to... But we can't tell since the gauge doesn't work.

In frustration he sells the car to Luis Artiga in CA. Luis receives the car. Luis carelessly (that's a pleasant way to put it) starts and runs the car when it gets there...

(his complete e-mail to me 3-32-08)

yes, I ran it for 2-3 minutes, it has no coolant so I can't drive it for long time just enough to move it around.

(end)

I don't know about you guys... but my car is up to full operating temp in 2-3
minutes with coolant in it!

That's a great way to help move any problems right along, don't you think? No coolant in the car. Oil and water mixed. Just what it needed before tearing
down the engine and showing miss/un-informed people what you find.

So now... the RL crowd looks at pretty pictures of pistons, blown gasket, scratched piston pins, and thinks that it's the engine builder that did something wrong, and probably have NO idea what severe abuse that engine went through for 10 minutes total run time prior to pulling it apart.

So it's Lindsey doesn't know what they are doing!... look at that cylinder after only 4500 miles!... Those pistons are to loose!... Who built that engine!... etc...

Maybe, just maybe those cylinders and pistons looked perfect after 4400 miles
and it was that last 100, especially that last 10 minutes that killed it.

Or... maybe these engines don't really need water and oil... I don't know...

Now a couple of the guys really even have no business saying anything. One having an engine builder known for putting piston rings on upside down
and the other who installs the main bearings upside down.

I'm sure RKD won't be real pleased when reading this, but I'm not real pleased either. Since he doesn't seem mind his car being parted, he may not mind this either.

If you have questions about that engine... fire away! Why ask people who DON'T KNOW!

Could it be that the real reason that engine looks a litte worn inside, and I do mean a little considering it's abuse, is not that LR doesn't know how to build an engine but that maybe the last two owners could of done things a little differently taking care of it?

Cooling off... Winding down....
WHATEVER big guy. I didn't need to read your post after this.
"What RKD fails to tell anyone in his postings is that thread is that his car
admittedly ran bad since picking it up from another shop, but wasn't interested
in looking into it's cause since it had been there for 2-3 months but wanted to
drive it instead. "
So to which other shop are you referring? The rest is actually irrellavent. The serial numbers on the pistons don't match 8.5/1 pistons. RKD doesn't have to say **** from that point. "A BUILDER" ****ed this up. It was simply a matter of time.
Go blow LR somewhere else.
Almost all, but one, of us, intentionally didn't respond to the question of "who built this?", and we did so on purpose.
Besides, LR uses Park Place for this work, now anyway.
So...your little rant may well turn this into a crap thread.

One piece of advise to others on this thread...If you didn'
t build it, you are, as I, purely speculating. Don't cast concrete aspersions and PLEASE don't point fingers.
If you build enough engines, or widgets, or swimming pools, or houses, or computers,...one will fail...NO MATTER WHAT!

Let's get back to figuring out why, so that we may all profit from the knowledge.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:50 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

To add, RKD, that is just awful! I can't tell you how sorry I am for what you went through.
Judson, I stand by my ppost, accept to say, You were wrong.
Too many people have been through this with LR. when their boy, Skip, left, they were done as a reputable builder. Now they will just blame it all on Park Place Porsche.]
LR is nothing but a parts seller now. Based on their attitude around here...good.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:01 AM
nize
Banned

this is sad, but good information.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:47 AM
cosmo303
Instructor

Originally Posted by ehall
when their boy, Skip, left, they were done as a reputable builder.
When did he leave?

Quick Reply: I'm done, make me an offer...