Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I'm done, make me an offer...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:55 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About a year or more ago. They ship their build work to Park Place Porsche.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:00 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Why in the hell did some random shop have your car for 3 months to work on "alternator and oil/amp gauges"?
Old 05-02-2008, 10:12 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Not taking sides but they refute that they use Park Place Porsche now or ever and don't know who this Skip is??
It's all there out in the open to be read on the relevant forums. Don't like to see the wrong party carry the can is all. Not that I'm saying there is a wronged party here necessarily, except for RKD.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:18 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ehall
About a year or more ago. They ship their build work to Park Place Porsche.
holy crap I didn't know that. If thats the case I could just drive down the street.

I've never delt with mike my only dealings have been with dave. Dave has always treated me right and stood by and did what he said he was going to do. The car was a rocket when it left there and ran strong even after I dialed up the boost a couple more pounds in texas heat no less. However I didn't have them build a motor.

The only reason they aren't building my motor now is when I called I asked for dave(since he is the person i've always delt with and I feel comfortable with him) but, it seemed like dave was rather busy and couldn't take calls so I got told mike would be handling everything.

Mike didn't seem very enthusasist about hashing over motor talk and possibilites. When prompted about me dropping the car off and having them do the work or me finding a local shop to do everything he made it pretty clear they didn't want to fool with it. They'd sell me the parts but, didn't want the car over there.Can't say it as I blame the poor guy after all how many tire kickers do they really get calling in there everyday. How could he have known who I was or even if I was serious or not.....

However i've been a customer of theirs since 2003 and while I haven't spent 20k with them like some customers im sure have I have spent 7-8k which is alot for a broke sob like me. Fast forward a couple of years later and my career has gotten better I can afford to build a motor but, I just wanted info on repairing mine and seeing what the different pricing would be.

I emailed mike asking for the info and never got a response. I guess I just kinda figured that was that. So im having someone else build my motor/turbo. Like I said I can't say as I blame mike at all. Lindsey has always been good to me.

It does seem now though they are so busy they don't have the time to "hand hold" like they used too and unfortunately in this business when people are spending money and still kinda trying to have a budget(any 944 owner) then you kinda have to hand hold some in order to make them feel like they are getting good customer service.

Hand holding this time ended up being worth alot more than my original budget.

Sad to see this thread. Dave has always been good to me

Last edited by porshhhh951; 05-02-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:30 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Any hints on who is doing your build John??? C'mon, you know you want to...
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Why in the hell did some random shop have your car for 3 months to work on "alternator and oil/amp gauges"?
They also installed front springs, rear torsion bar, cornerbalanced it, swap in sport seats, and finding why the oil light flashed when in a high g right hand turn (turned out to be a power steering line grounding on the oil sender under g load).

And it wasn't some random shop. It was a very busy shop that has been servicing Porsches only for more than 35 years.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

The name of the guy that left LR was Wes, not Skip. He had some major health/family issues.

Park Place does not do LR engine builds, Mike Lindsey does. However, Park Place like many other shops may use LR for their engine builds.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:07 AM
reno928s
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion when the car left the builders shop it should have been 100%. Every one of my customers are completely satified (Kitchen and bath remodeler). We are talking about large sums of money, and the job needs to be done correctly for every customer. Sometimes I have to lose a few days of labor and material to make the customer happy. I would have brought the engine back and told him to fix this mess or else. Too many times we just walk away and either sell our projects or take the loss. There should have been no driveability issues after he picked up the car.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:08 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno928s
In my opinion when the car left the builders shop it should have been 100%. Every one of my customers are completely satified (Kitchen and bath remodeler). We are talking about large sums of money, and the job needs to be done correctly for every customer. Sometimes I have to lose a few days of labor and material to make the customer happy. I would have brought the engine back and told him to fix this mess or else. Too many times we just walk away and either sell our projects or take the loss. There should have been no driveability issues after he picked up the car.
RENO your back??
Old 05-02-2008, 11:22 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Any hints on who is doing your build John??? C'mon, you know you want to...
I wish I could afford a chris white motor. haha but, if I did that how could I manage to purchase the turbo kit(hint).

Some have to make sacrifices..... I have certainly made mine. For me though 350hp on pump fuel would be great. 400 on race and im happy. I'll call it a day.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:41 AM
reno928s
Pro

What's up 808? Been super busy the past few months.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Lets see if I can throw in some info here –
In reality the wear on the piston coating is not a big deal. That will happen during the initial break in process. The 8.5:1 vs 9:1 is also not a big deal at the boost levels it was running (as long as it was tuned to match and run on ‘good’ gas).
The real issue is the head gasket. That has only been briefly mentioned. Head gasket failures are usually tuning issues.
Now for the engine builder defense (generic!)
I used to supply folks with DIY kits and eventually found that it resulted in more aggravation that needed. Unless you are a fairly serious engine guy you are best off having one shop do everything – that way they know all the details and the car owner has one point of contact. I have built some nice engines that have been turned over to some questionable tuners. I can’t make them bullet proof if they are mis-tuned and when a mechanical part breaks or a head gasket lets go everybody questions the builder. I would question the tuner (I don’t know what the ‘deal’ was with RKD’s build / tune).
And one final note – if it isn’t running right get it looked at! Even in stock form there are some pretty serious forces inside the engine – a little miss can cause some pretty serious damage. The driver is always the last line of defense.
BTW – just as a side note, one of my friends that builds high dollar V8 race engines uses clearances in excess of .010”(for JE Pistons)– tons on slap when cold , but work correctly when warm and no long term wear issues.
PS – the scored pins is still a very odd thing. I would love to have had a chance to tear the engine down to try and figure out that one.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:57 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Built, installed, AND tuned by Lindsey Racing. And again, it was running same as always, except for the cold weather rough running on cold start.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:58 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
Built, installed, AND tuned by Lindsey Racing. And again, it was running same as always, except for the cold weather rough running on cold start.
lol
Old 05-02-2008, 11:59 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno928s
What's up 808? Been super busy the past few months.
haha yeah i understand give me a call and we catch up.Have you worked on you car?

Quick Reply: I'm done, make me an offer...