Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:12 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
here is the info that Richard posted
Lart,

You have a great car here. Fix this thing and have some fun. I know you are getting tired of your 928 cow part hauler.

I'll be in SD this weekend picking up my car. Are you going to be around SFR? Bring your motor to Tim, maybe we can figure this out. PM me if interested.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:13 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D
Piston slap only could have caused this if it was loaded when cold. Even then I really doubt there is enough angle to cause damage like the pictures show in the cylinders. When using pistons that require different expansion rates with heat shouldn't cause this. If you pull the pistons, I bet you won't see damage on the sides.

Detonation causing this damage would have been loud enough to cause anyone with experience to let up on the boost. If the block was ever overheated, things could be out of perfect measurement.

Was the crank welded? What rings were used? Who did the build? Isn't this just a simple 2.8 factory Mahle piston, 3.0 crank build?
Yeah, your right about that. A blown HG could really heat up the block. Been a long day.
I don't know for sure, but I thought this was an LR project.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Here are some high res pictures of #4 & #3 cyl.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:33 AM
George D
Drifting

George, I need to take it apart. I need to see rings and the sides of the pistons.
Get it apart and come on down to SFR Friday afternoon. I'm in a wedding on Saturday evening, so Friday afternoon is the best time. Like I said, PM me and we'll work things out. Tim knows these motors and has the proper tools.

Tim and his staff like Red Bull. Bring plenty and lets get this bad *** car running as it should.

Sometimes the piston coating makes the rings seat an an angle. (Only told to me by experts) These rings are much harder material than the bores. Cuts like a razor knife if things don't wear evenly by the smallest degree. Still shouldn't cause detonation and an over heat issue to the extent to blow a gasket. Strange things happen in a boosted motor though.

That gasket saw much heat in 4K of driving. This gasket looks like it was cut.

Again, you got one hell of a car here. It's worth some effort. You will love it when it's running as it was intended. You could make some money by parting it, but you will be stuck with your 928 pig rig.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 AM
George D
Drifting

[QUOTE=lart951;5336814]Here are some high res pictures of #4 & #3 cyl.

Those pistons are really loose in there. Call me crazy, but it looks like an overbore and stock pistons were used.

Lart, you have seen how many pistons sitting in 951 bores, right? have you ever seen this much space between the piston and cylinder wall? It might be the pictures shading the actual clearance, but looking down do you see this when actually looking down the bore to piston clearance?
Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, just wow. Not anything like what I was expecting to see. The water temps never got above the middle of the gauge, even the 2 miles I drove it home with white smoke at idle. And I didn't ever hear any detonation. It went after slowing down off the highway and as I was pulling up to a stop sign. Was not running it hard at all. Still wondering what the torque was like on the head.

I was very strict on break-in for the first 2000 miles, no full throttle, varying rpms, keeping the boost below 8 psi. At 2000 miles turned the boost up to 16psi and left it there.

Very very curious about the scoring. Yes, it was overbored to remove the Nikasil that was chipping.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
Wow, just wow. Not anything like what I was expecting to see. The water temps never got above the middle of the gauge, even the 2 miles I drove it home with white smoke at idle. And I didn't ever hear any detonation. It went after slowing down off the highway and as I was pulling up to a stop sign. Was not running it hard at all. Still wondering what the torque was like on the head.

I was very strict on break-in for the first 2000 miles, no full throttle, varying rpms, keeping the boost below 8 psi. At 2000 miles turned the boost up to 16psi and left it there.

Very very curious about the scoring. Yes, it was overbored to remove the Nikasil that was chipping.
I want my money back.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:15 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=George D;5336836]
Here are some high res pictures of #4 & #3 cyl.

Those pistons are really loose in there. Call me crazy, but it looks like an overbore and stock pistons were used.

Lart, you have seen how many pistons sitting in 951 bores, right? have you ever seen this much space between the piston and cylinder wall? It might be the pictures shading the actual clearance, but looking down do you see this when actually looking down the bore to piston clearance?
George, lol, I am not answering that.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:17 AM
George D
Drifting

Who did the bore work? What size pistons were stated in the build spec? I honestly believe that we simply have a mismatched piston to bore issue. Lart did a lot of work to get these pictures up and posted. I noticed in your build post that you used 8.5 compression pistons. How did they come up with this? Thicker head gasket, different pistons, shorter rods? My point here is that the little things make BIG issues when not working perfectly.

There is not enough heat to send your H20 temps up when heat is being produced from such a small area. If this was the case, we would have very few blown head gaskets in these motors. Wouldn't it be nice to have such a warning?

I will bet that we have pistons that are too small for the bores, and the rings were trying to compensate for this. Newly sized factory pistons and rings, a little hone to clean things up will make one hell of a car for the new owner.

It's not easy when paying someone else to do this for us. It's very expensive and I understand your frustration. You can have a car as fast without all these issues. We trust the folks that we hire to create what we want. It simply doesn't always work out as we planned.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:19 AM
George D
Drifting

[QUOTE=lart951;5336922]

George, lol, I am not answering that.
Comeon Lart, what do you think? Pictures are worth a thousand words. You see it. What do you think?
Old 04-22-2008, 01:34 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

AFTER the head gasket went on the 88 Turbo S I had, the gauge showed it was getting hot along with the white smoke. The gauge on this one was at normal and did not come up after it started smokin.

The rods are stock length pauter. Since I was going to have to bore the cylinders to get rid of the chipping Nikasil and needed new pistons anyway. I opted to add the 3 liter crank and got pistons made for overbore, 3.0 crank, stock rod length, and 8.5:1 compression.

Sorry it wasn't just drop in a head gasket and go thing.

But I do think I sold it cheap enough to part it and make money if the engine was toast.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:58 AM
George D
Drifting

Lart only charges himself $150 per hour, but does 4X the work of the typical shop in the same time. He got a great deal and this car should be running within two weeks with 450 at the wheels.....RIGHT LART? I'll show up for the dyno day in SD when you are ready.

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
AFTER the head gasket went on the 88 Turbo S I had, the gauge showed it was getting hot along with the white smoke. The gauge on this one was at normal and did not come up after it started smokin.

The rods are stock length pauter. Since I was going to have to bore the cylinders to get rid of the chipping Nikasil and needed new pistons anyway. I opted to add the 3 liter crank and got pistons made for overbore, 3.0 crank, stock rod length, and 8.5:1 compression.

Sorry it wasn't just drop in a head gasket and go thing.

But I do think I sold it cheap enough to part it and make money if the engine was toast.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951_for_John
Put the car away for a while and reconsider, after you cool down.
+100
Old 04-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lart only charges himself $150 per hour, but does 4X the work of the typical shop in the same time.
That is because him and his Amigos are scarey fast. Like Speedy Gonzales.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:18 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Arriba!!!

Quick Reply: I'm done, make me an offer...