Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why does my dipstick keep popping up??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:31 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm wondering; is there even a connection between a blown HG and the dipstick popping out?
Old 02-27-2008, 11:36 PM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to do compression test tomorrow to be absolutley sure. Well thats unlikly i guess i said that because htere are so many things going wrong with it now.

But the oil is creamy greyish color, the car is backfiring and runing weird nd when it does backfire the dip stick will pop out, it is hard to start at times, makes like no power with or with out boost, and you can hear a serious miss.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:37 PM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Adrian, i decided on widefire and o-ring'ing the head. Check your PM.
Thanks Jon got your pm
Old 02-28-2008, 12:49 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

careful if you have antifreeze getting in the oil you'll ruin the bearings bigtime. I would flush the hell out of the motor when you put it together. Compression getting from a piston into an oil passage on the head gasket would cause pressure in the bottom end- blowing out the pickup tube. They dont always just blow between coolant and compression.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Loquat15
Racer

Just wanted to say that the oil cooler (water to oil) located on the side of the block can leak and cause what appears to be a headgasket leak...

but you no doubt have another issue here.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:35 AM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

Ok, today i try to start the car to move it and the starter was not able to turn the motor. It turned it over maybe 5 times in like 5 min of trying..Is the engine seized cause of the water/oil? Will i need to completely rebuild or can i just change the oil after the hg job turn the crank with a 24mm and try to go from there?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:03 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

adrian,

First off, don't read anything more that what you see. Do the following in these steps.

Remove Spark plugs and turn engine over by hand. This will remove any compression and make it easy to turn. If it will not turn easy, stop. Look at the Plugs. Are they wet and covered with Oil/Water? If the H Gasket has failed, wayer should come out thro the plug hole when turned over. If it turns easy, the engine so far may be OK. If there is water in the Oil you must have a problem and the next step should show this.
Borrow coolant pressure tester and pressurize the Coolant system. If it holds pressure , the water and Oil systems have not failed. Head Gasket and Oil Cooler are OK. At least when cold, at this time its time to check something else. The Gasket/Head/Block could still be an issue when hot.
If the engine turns over by hand easy, the starting problem is Battery, Starter motor or connections.
The dip stick popping out is indicitive of the Oil sump been pressurized. If any lines are reversed, this would happen but the oil and water would not mix.
Check all of these things before you start removing big parts. Don't try to stsrt the engine until you are sure the Oil system and water system are OK. You could cause further damage.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 PM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

Ok, i haved just finished replacing the the HG, water cooler seal, camtower gasket,rear camtower gasket,dipstick oil seal. It was just a coincidece that my starter won't turn the engine. We pushed started the car today and bled the coolant system which i think has a small leak which i will have to look into. The car had a problem with the #4 cylinder spark so i bought a new plug and made sure the wire was on it good and ran fine. Now i need to check the starter why it isn't turning it over.. I also need to intall my catch can tomorrow.

Just wanted to update...................... -Adrian
Old 05-26-2008, 01:51 AM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

ok well update, sorry it took so long.

Well my engine is running fine i just have a milkshake and smoke coming out the crankcase.
-Its not the head gasket, water oil seal, or the turbo.....

Anyone know what it could, im praying its not cracked block b/c i just changed to another widefire gasket, another seal, and another k26 turbo that is a known good one....
Old 05-26-2008, 02:24 AM
88BlueTSiQuest
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone mentioned it early in the thread, but I'll re-mention it.

Retrace the hose that goes from the top of the AOS to the intake boot. If you have that hose switched with the other hose that is the same size, you can have these problems under boost.

The AOS needs to always have vacuum going to it, if it's hooked to intercooler pipe just before the throttlebody, then you are applying boost pressure to the AOS, which can cause your dip stick issue, and also cause you to blow oil out past the AOS o-rings. Ask me how I know......
Old 05-26-2008, 03:19 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by adrian1
-Its not the head gasket, water oil seal, or the turbo.....
I once blew a new HG in 100 miles before figuring out why it was blowing...

When you changed the oil seals, did you update the connector pipe with a symetrical version and/or were you careful to ensure the o-ring was seated all the way in the oil thermostat housing?
Old 05-26-2008, 02:02 PM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

well that hose is connected to the j pipe and the other one with the idle valve to the intake. so thats correct. I didn't change the o ring but it was seated. can i just go to an auto parts store and get that o ring?and it cant the oil cooler it self right?
Old 05-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Here, read this:

http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951..._seal_repl.htm

I was talking about the metal connector pipe inside the oil thermostat housing -- see step 13 in the link in particular.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrian1
well that hose is connected to the j pipe and the other one with the idle valve to the intake. so thats correct.
That's not correct. The idle control valve gets conneted to the intake and the intercooler to throttle body tube. The Air/oil seprator (AOS) gets conneted to the intake "J" boot.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

re-reading, I might be mis-understanding what you wrote.

Quick Reply: Why does my dipstick keep popping up??