Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why does my dipstick keep popping up??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:03 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's late, and maybe a stupid question; but, did you check the bores thoroughly when you had the head off?
Old 05-27-2008, 01:27 AM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did, nd the head . im positive its the o ring on the cooler b/c it looks shot nd i have cleasn antifreeeze right in the oil filter housing when i unsrewed the oil filter.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:33 AM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

Well the milkshake is almost gone when i changed that seal but im getting white smoke puffing out the dipstick tube while the engine is running. Im also getting white smoke out the pipe. Is this a cracked blocked or head????
Old 05-28-2008, 08:34 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not reading this whole thread, but you need to FIRST make sure that someone in your car's history did not swap in an NA dipstick.
It fits perfectly but it does not have the steel ball.
The steel ball prevents it from coming out on the turbo.

ALL 944 TURBOS WILL MAKE CASE PRESSURE AT SOME POINT - THIS IS WHY THE DIPSTICK DIFFERS.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:58 AM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

well after letting the car run the most of the smoke from the tailpipe stopped which was problably all the milkshake that went through the old tubo seals and through the intercooler. The smoke from the crank case got thinner but is still present. Im thinking that it is the water burning off or whatever was left so i will change the oil once more and see what happens. Today i had boosted once and it went to 1.6. Hopefully by the end of today ill fix the coolant leak at the metal turbo pipe and change the oil and it will be running fine again.

Thanks to everyone that helped!
Old 07-19-2008, 02:17 AM
DanD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Rob
The idle control valve gets conneted to the intake and the intercooler to throttle body tube. The Air/oil seprator (AOS) gets conneted to the intake "J" boot.
Rennlist does it again!

Thanks for the post Rob. You just saved my track day tomorrow. I haven't driven the car for some time since replacing the headgasket and didn't realize I was pressurizing the crankcase.

Anyway, on topic.
After replacing (another car) the headgasket, it took some 30 minutes before the white smoke cleared, I suppose from the converter or some other collection point in the exhaust.

Quick Reply: Why does my dipstick keep popping up??