Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2nd 3.2 Finally ready - First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:25 AM
DivineE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd 3.2 Finally ready - First impressions

I went down to Jon Mitchell's garage on saturday to drop off my V5 so that the car could be taxed (was a slight oversight previously) and begin its running in. Whilst I was there Jon kindly offered me the chance as its owner to be the first person to drive the 3.2 on the road!

So with zero miles on the engine I got in, with Mark (Jon's son) and a friend who came down with me for company. The car is currently as stated previously not yet connected up to the wastegate fully so we were limited to limp home mode, super safe 0.6bar (or less) max boost and only 4500rpm to run it in with. Jon also had left me with strict instructions to use no more than half throttle.

The first thing I noticed was that I didn't notice any time delay in reaching 30mph even though I had only lifted off the clutch in first and immediately put the car in 2nd it was already idling along at 30. Driving around very slowly at under 50mph in 3rd, 4th ad 5th gears the engine just ran as if idling and didn't seem to notice that it was carrying the weight of three people and a 944 around with it at all. The extra torque even in these circumstances makes a huge difference to the characteristics of the cars driving.

Then after a couple of minutes Mark commented that I was probably taking it a bit too easy and I should just try to give it a little throttle at sensible rpms to work the engine a bit. Obviously given the engines current state of tune I wasn't expecting an example of what the car could do but I was keen to feel the torque that would be available during my first 1000 miles so I obeyed, indicated to change lanes and gave the throttle a light squeeze.. unbelievably I cannot sum up the words to describe my under-estimation of the acceleration this would cause! From a rolling start of 30mph in third gear the car just immediately took off, threw us all back into the seats and went like a jet engine that had just hit afterburner! No lag just a split second of normal acceleration then WALLOP instant power! It took me so by surprise that in the time it took for this signal to reach my brain and my leg to retract we had already hit 70mph! It felt like half a second, or maybe less!! After the swearing and nervous laughter had subsided inside the car I very gently squeezed the throttle again and tried to see how it reacted in other gears. Every time regardless of which gear the now redundant gear stick was in it just went and went fast really really fast!

The G-force is quite honestly like nothing I have ever experienced, Mark instantly forgave the car for all the hours he had spent under its bonnet and my friend who came along for the ride simply could not believe what he was seeing! A car running in, on almost no boost and at low revs was not just marginally faster but in a different league to his golf gti which is mildly spiced up and produces 230bhp!

Specification wise my car is almost identical to Paul's except for the exhaust and after the way Paul's engine spun up its turbo Jon understandably decided to try a bigger turbo 2nd time round but shockingly even with its gigantic turbo (about the size of the LR 75) it still hasn't stopped the engine spinning it up like a diesel! It produces boost at almost idle even in 1st gear!

Since I have returned home (after ringing Jon to make sure the car was not somehow running at 35psi! ..he obviously confirmed it wasn't and that yes it really was just that fast!!) I had some time to think about the whole experience and I think realistically the shock is not at the force of acceleration (which is still colossal) but that it is just available immediately, in any gear, any time and seemingly any revs. It may look like a 944 engine and it may sound like a 944 but really it's just pretending because it drives like a whole different animal it feels more like the mk5 golf Gti! ...It drives like a car with a tiny turbo just with the G-force (Go-force) usually associated in the brain with high revs and a much bigger turbo!

Today also made me realise just how restrained Paul was really being when he took me out for a spin all those months ago! I naturally assumed he was driving quite hard to accelarate they way he did but I now realise he must have been literally tickling the throttle (to use the same exression as the writter from 911 Porsche world) probably to avoid spinning the wheels.

Lastly I would like to say a HUGE thankyou to Jon because after such a long time trying to get my car back almost anything he could have produced would have felt like an anti climax and a dissapointment when compared to what I'd put in mentaly, physically and finacially but today was like nothing I could ever have expected! It's all very well reading the figures but nothing can really prepare you for the shove in the back that you actually get from power delivery like that! It just re-defines my metal perception of quick! I cannot wait to get the car to a dyno and see what its actually producing because if this is its low boost performance DEAR GOD! Is it going to be serious!

My mission now is to take this car everywhere and try to share the experience I have just had with as many people as I can! Jon's magnificent creation is something that everyone needs to experience at least once in thier lives!

Regards,

Ben
Old 02-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Great story! Make sure you document the next run
Got a full specification list?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:52 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

damn sounds awsome.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 AM
DivineE
Racer

I will most definately tell all and hopefully this time remember to take some video footage of the car next time it goes out. Jon is keeping it for the next 2 weeks to tweak the fueling and put the first 200miles on it for me in case it has any minor issue that need ironing out. 1st of march though it all systems go and I'm going to be trying to get those first 1500 run in miles done toot sweet so I can put some sexy oil in it and wind up the boost

I would love to put all the spec down but will have to wait till I have a little bit more time because it could take some time! Basically though its identical to Paul Smiths 3.2 but with a larger turbo (because Pauls was so fast to spool) and non standard exhaust. I will definately keep you posted with pics and vids and dyno reports as soon as possible
Old 02-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

pics or it didn't happen :P
Old 02-18-2008, 10:42 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Duke
Great story! Make sure you document the next run
Got a full specification list?
That is an awesome story! I am sure the car is a torque beast just like Pau'ls car. Ben, I look forward to seeing some nice pics and vids of the car.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

OK....so where do I get one of these amazing engines on this side of the pond???

-Dana
Old 02-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Diver944
Pro

Originally Posted by DivineE
Basically though its identical to Paul Smiths 3.2 but with a larger turbo
No fair, he gotta bigger turbo than me

By an extraordinary coincidence that will be two 3.2s living within 10 miles of eachother and Ben has already promised me a ride when he brings it home from Jons workshop. I think I'm a bit scared knowing he has a proper big turbo for big boost, whereas I wanted a very quick spooling turbo. In hindsight I think the 3.2 would cope with a bigger, slower turbo than I have so Ben's should make some fantastic numbers when it's all run in.

Well done Ben, you have been even more patient than I, make sure you don't stick it into a wall like I did
Old 02-18-2008, 06:38 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice to hear your car is on the road, about time and make sure you enjoy it

But some advice.......invest in some decent suspension and some decent brakes - if you havent done already. The car is way overpowered for the standard kit and if you intend to drive it properly and I am sure you do, you will need it to keep you on the road.

Right now is about the worst time of year for a high powered turbo RWD car so be careful as I have watched more than one friend write off their cars at this time of year. Only last week mine bit hard coming on boost in second with a nice sideways moment out of nowhere.

Looking forward to the dyno results!
Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 PM
facboy
Burning Brakes

hee hee if you're in london isn't every time of year bad for a high powered turbo RWD?
Old 02-19-2008, 04:10 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Yeah, never a good time so I tend to head out of London in the 68!
Old 02-19-2008, 04:27 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome story. Take some pics and i'd be nice to see a build sheet. For a street car those higher displacements motors can make plenty of power. I'd be interested in seeing video too if you ever get a chance. What a joy you must be having right now.

How long did the build take if you don't mind me asking?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 AM
DivineE
Racer

[QUOTE=porshhhh951;5121274] For a street car those higher displacements motors can make plenty of power. [QUOTE]

What would you recommend for a track car?!! To be honest I was thinking it would be more fun on a track anyway because on the road where there is a lot of space 5th gear feels too short already. I think on a track it would be perfect because you can use all the acceleration without ever running out of gears.

Having now driven one for the first time I really do think manufacturers are missing a trick with big capacity 4cylinder turbo's. Simpler engines, lighter engines and with the big cylinders it produces so much force per stroke it totally eliminates turbo lag (even with a LR 75 size turbo -not actually using one but its the same size- it seems to spin from idle).. so you can use larger turbo's and get more power! Best of both worlds.

Really nice to hear from some of my favourite rennlisters on this thread I love Duke's car (have a pic on my laptop) and 'Rolex' was really happy to offer me advice openly and talk at length when I was asking for direction a while back. A really decent chap. Fastest951 is a great guy too and I will be taking up his advice on running in for longer than 1000miles.

Regards,

Ben
Old 02-19-2008, 07:26 AM
DivineE
Racer

Ps Paul dont threat! do you actually want any more top end?? I mean really?!? I'm more than likely going to turn my boost down once its run in! Jon's suggestion of 18-20psi almost sounds excessive but we will see what happens once the car is up to 15psi.. I might just be tempted by the dark side!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Are you running a ball bearing turbo?

Quick Reply: 2nd 3.2 Finally ready - First impressions