reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just answered u
Old 01-24-2008, 04:56 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

remember coolers take abuse over the time, the fins on mine fell off when I touched them with fingernail...
Old 02-28-2009, 04:54 PM
joonas
Racer

Originally Posted by anders44
setrab come as M22x1,5
block is M22x1.5

-10 is commonly used for wetsumps, and -12 for drysumps, some 911's use -12 but they have front mounted oil coolers and engine all the way in the back! then again, some run dry sump as well...

summitracing sells load of cool an hoses, get some with a regular nomex braiding or whatever floats your boat.

don't mix in NPT, no need, it's a metric car, and setrab is a metric cooler.. ahh I love metrics and AN.
Commonly used? I want to add external oil cooler for my 944S NA . I plan to use some kind of sandwitch plate or remote oil filter adapter but one thing that bothers me is that I would not want to restrict the oil flow.

The pipe that holds oil filter in place has inside diameter 15,3 mm. It seems that all those plates and hoses will reduce that inside idiameter.

Can someone tell me how big are AN fittings inside diameters?
Any sugestions on remote oli filter adapters?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:38 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wish I found this thread earlier. This is what I did/am doing. I relocated the passenger side stock cooler directly behind the fog light well and cut the back out of the fog light well. I added another stock cooler to the drivers side and did the same thing. I used the stock coolers because of their size/depth.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 PM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a 22 by 8 by 2 Setrab in the front of my condensor and it worked great for a while but noticed last year that on a warm day I could do about 25 minutes of track time before the warning light come on. This year, I have pulled the condensor and bought a new radiator to try to keep the temps down on the track. I will also be looking at improving the ducting.

If you just drive heavy street or limited track the front mount is fine with AC. It all worked fine and did well if the ambient was below 80 or the sessions were 25 minutes or less. I was glad to get that old dirt-filled stock unit out along with the crusty old lines.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:55 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I have the front mount i/c and nose vents and wonder if I can't get a cooler in above there somewhere. I think this is what SFR offers.
I also had a race guy tell me that he thought with the nature of our 'race' events that are really short and fast, that we should not have too much cooling as the oil may not get up to proper running temp soon enough. Interesting, but I still want something more than stock.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:24 AM
tjbreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an oil temp sensor in the banjo bolt at the bottom of the turbo oil return and i see 260+ deg F after about 15 minutes on a warm track. This is worst case but as someone mentioned earlier, I wanted to see the hottest oil and assume that the rest is cooler. When the oil is that hot the water is pushing 220. I run Royal Purple 20-50 synthetic and have the oil analyzed every time it is changed.

My '87 engine is mostly stock with just a chip and the boost turned up a bit but i do run it hard to keep up with the Vitesse kit Turbo S a friend drives. With the big Setrab out in front only takes the cool down lap to get the oil back down to the 220's. The temperature difference the oil feed and return lines shows that the cooler is doing its job.

I can make it through the typical 22 minute DE session and not notice the gauges getting too bad but on the occasion when they give us 35 minutes, I had to come in around 25 for a circle around the pit before I go back out, just to get the warning light to go off. Now that i have pulled the condensor and replaced the 23 year old radiator, I am hoping it stays cool all the time.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:02 AM
edh
Advanced

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I have the front mount i/c and nose vents and wonder if I can't get a cooler in above there somewhere. I think this is what SFR offers.
I also had a race guy tell me that he thought with the nature of our 'race' events that are really short and fast, that we should not have too much cooling as the oil may not get up to proper running temp soon enough. Interesting, but I still want something more than stock.
He may be right - it must make sense to measure first before you worry about fitting more cooling.

Quick Reply: 951 oil cooler set up pic request.