Turn signal does not disengage - 930 Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 10:11 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Turn signal does not disengage - 930 Steering Wheel

I am new to the Rennlist, but have been watching for some time. I just acquired a 1986 951 that has been slightly modified by the PO. The stock steering wheel has been replaced with a Porsche 930 model. During the safety check, the mechanic pointed out that the turn signal does not disengage automatically when the steering wheel returns to center after turning. Is this normal after this modification?

BTW - this was the only thing that he even commented on - so the car is in fine shape.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
I am new to the Rennlist, but have been watching for some time. I just acquired a 1986 951 that has been slightly modified by the PO. The stock steering wheel has been replaced with a Porsche 930 model. During the safety check, the mechanic pointed out that the turn signal does not disengage automatically when the steering wheel returns to center after turning. Is this normal after this modification?

BTW - this was the only thing that he even commented on - so the car is in fine shape.

Thanks
Nope the turn signal should shut off when it returns to center. Does it do it only one side or both?

In the turn signal mechanism (the switch) There is a small plastic piece that loves to break off.

You "prolly" need a new turn signal switch.

IPSC

Oh yeah, Welcome to Rennlist ! ! !
Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i think if they just swapped wheels, you need to replace the round piece on the back of the wheel w/ the "handle" sticking out that turns off the turn signal. I know they are different just between late and early 944's, so if it has a 911 "handle" it prob. wouldnt work. You should be able to take one from a stock 944t wheel-three screws- and swap it out.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:19 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Hi guys,

Am in the middle of a dash swap and have the turn signal switch off the car. I think that IPSC is right, the white plastic tab does not seem to operate logically. For example, when the signal lever is pushed down (to the left turn position) the tab retracts even deeper into the housing (See Picture #1). As such, there is no way that handle could return the turn signal lever to its orginal position. Additionally, while the plastic tab extends when the lever is moved to the right turn position (See Picture #2), I can push the white tab down and nothing happens (See Picture #3 - where I have pushed it right back into the housing).

Given my analysis, is the switch in need of replacement or do I just understand how it works?
Attached Images    
Old 03-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can push it in, but try pushing the opposite way or your turn signal, like the pc was coming down on it; it comes around when you're straightening your wheel. The lever goes up and down not in and out.

Search thread started by ski, I've got an install and photos from my airbag car.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:29 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Tried it and nothing happens. It appears to rotate around the plastic pin in the switch housing.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you push the turn signal up, right turn, and you push down on the white tab, with your finger inside the opening and it isn't a bit hard to disengage, then yes, it's toast.

The steering wheel, it does have a tab on it that fits inside the hole, so that it can cancel the turn signal?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:55 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

IPSC is right, you need a new turn signal switch. This exact thing happened to me, the plastic bit breaks inside the swtich causing the white trigger mechanism to act erratically. Being of the curious type, and not wanting to shell out $150, I opened the switch up to see if I could fix it. Below is the result, there is a plastic piece that acts as a sort of spring retainer. When that breaks the switch is toast.

Mike
Old 03-02-2008, 11:41 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Just tested it. It is finished. Have found a couple people parting cars and think that I can get one for $40 plus shipping.

Thanks for all the advice

Fergus
Old 03-03-2008, 10:18 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by fbgh2o
Just tested it. It is finished. Have found a couple people parting cars and think that I can get one for $40 plus shipping.

Thanks for all the advice

Fergus
IMO this is a part you are better off buying new. You already have a used one, chances are you will buy another used one and it will fail soon after. Just my 2c worth.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:47 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Agreed.

And FWIW, if this is the only real thing that's not up to snuff w/ your new 951, congrats!

Ski, where's that wheel from? A 993?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

968 CS from Sunset. I went with an 86 turn signal assembly, I did a write up
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/408530-my-968cs-steering-wheel-install-long.html

Not sure if Sunset can change the back pc on the steering wheel, per car year (something I didn't think about) but I ended up buying this pc as well.
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...9442+body-9442

works like a champ.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:49 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Good point on the old versus new switch - given that this almost like a wear part.

As for things that the new car required. So far only a new dash (bought one used with 2 small cracks that I have fixed), a tune up (including replacement of the original vacuum lines - my next project) and a need to do the belts (have all the tools and parts - now summoning the courage to do it). They only have 5,000 miles on them, but will be four years old this year.

Thanks for the advice.

Fergus

Quick Reply: Turn signal does not disengage - 930 Steering Wheel