Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just installed the Race splitter from AIR, definitly not a good option for street

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:24 AM
gjoey66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed the Race splitter from AIR, definitly not a good option for street

Ok, it looks great on my race car...need to take pics today. but definitly much rougher than you'd want to put on a street car. It was very easy to put on...just used rivets every 8" or so. I also removed the batwing and sealed off the radiator plenum with a sheet of aluminum...i'll draw up a sketch of the aluminum sheet you need to cut out so that it has side walls as well. The batwing wieghted about 6lbs so it's definitly a wieght savings to go from the splitter and plenum seal from the batwing. Should be a big difference in down force up front as i was feeling a bit loose in the steering at 80mph+. Should i seal off the rest of the area where the bat wing used to be with aluminum...or with the splitter will it naturally be a vacuum now?
Old 03-02-2008, 12:58 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

dude if you car feels loose at over 80mph+ then i would GO OVER the Suspension Its not a downforce issue.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:06 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I was told you don't want to mess with the original aero under the car. You can add the splitter but you don't want to remove anything.

I have an AIR splitter (race) on its way and it should arrive tomorrow. Can you post some pics on the install please...

thanks
Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
gjoey66
Instructor

I don't mean loose in the traditional sense...the front end was definitly lifting a bit...it was a combination of new wing in the rear and catching air in the turn signal buckets which i cut out.

Here is a link of my brake cooling fab and install...plus the splitter
http://www.shutterfly.com/view/pictures.jsp
Old 03-03-2008, 01:10 AM
gjoey66
Instructor

http://www.shutterfly.com/view/slide...=1204521779328

i think you need this to view the pics...
Old 03-03-2008, 01:45 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok that link takes you to three pictures of an unfinished house. Your photo posting fu needs some work dude.

Want to see all your pics.

IPSC
Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

FWIW, methinks you shouldn't've riveted the splitter on -- you'll need to remove it if you ever want to do belt and coolant work.

Also, the splitter will not affect downforce much, if at all. Mainly, it's an option if your car has no batwing to begin with or you simply like the look of the added splitter.

Oh, and AIR doesn't do very quality work, especially for the amount they charge. On my header panel I had to basically redo the whole thing myself. It took about 6 hours of labor.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, for the street, I'd sell it right now and buy the regualar splitter. The race one is made for smooth tracks and I would guess does not do very well with limbs, cans, or other road debris. If you decide to keep it, I would check into Pegasus Racing, and get their camlock 27, male and female, 1/4 turn fasteners. You can take it on/off in less than 2 minutes. We have 10 on the track car.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
gjoey66
Instructor

How could this not have a dramatic effect on lift...I've cut the ammount of air flowing below the car by 50% or more...I don't think anyone that understands aero thought i meant the splitter was creating downforce on it's own...the splitter is creating a low pressure zone beneath the car, in particular the front of the car, therefore reducing lift at speed. It's the basic principle behind a splitter. Oh and it doesn't block the access in the least from below the car...you can still reach anything you need to get to.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM
gjoey66
Instructor

this is purely for the track...if anything I feel the rivets were a mistake because getting it on and off the trailer is a pain now.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:05 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

First off, I misread your first post and thought you simply had the regular splitter.

That said, your race splitter should help aero. However, if you're looking for an incredible difference, look somewhere else. Versus the batwing, a normal AIR splitter won't really help much at all. A race splitter, with its more aggressive "aero" will aid, but mainly only in straight-line, high speed stability.

I can almost guarantee you won't feel any difference thru a turn, unless it's a lonnng sweeper a la Nurburgring.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:10 PM
gjoey66
Instructor

I'm only feeling this at high straightline speed...it's shortly after crossing 80-90mph...it starts to lift a bit...and my comment was more directed at the would the splitter be able to support 50lbs...that shows a basic disconnect with the physics of aerodynamics...so not intended for you at all...I'll be testing it this coming weekend and I'll report

Quick Reply: Just installed the Race splitter from AIR, definitly not a good option for street