My 968CS steering wheel install - long

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 968CS steering wheel install - long

Ok, installed it a few months ago but had no blinkers, too big of a hurry, etc.
So yesterday, after I received my nice 86 turn signal assembly, I started in.
***understand that I had previously removed the battery lead, let time go by to discharge capacitor voltage to the airbags - disconnected previously.*** again, this is an air bag car.

After viewing several comments from Tom Pultz in his 944S2 site(many thanks) I opted to go for the 86 cluster, since pin 71 is already present. Pin 71 on the back of the turn signal assembly, is and will be your horn.

I'd already pulled all of the airbag crap off, cut wires 5 and 7 on the control unit and disconnected the passenger side bag as well.

Now, if you buy a 968CS wheel, the part that comes on the back of the wheel for blinker function will not fit the 86 switch assembly, as the tab is too far to the side to fit into the recessed part, I ended up breaking this part trying to test fit. Solution: the proper horn contact and steering wheel back from 944online.
http://www.944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI...9442+body-9442

when you hit this page, you will also see the horn contact for the 86 assembly, of which the later assemblies are not drilled for, well mine wasn't. Also, on the link to the horn contact above, notice how the tab is located near the center? Well the one that comes with the wheel is not, it's on the outside edge - and no worky for 86 assembly - so get the part from Ian. You will need to change the female spade connector on this as well, the male on the horn contact under the pad on the 968CS wheel is larger. We'll also mod the blinker tab, read on. (sounds like a lot of work but hopefully this will make it easier)

Now, remember I mentioned pin 71, the one that activates the horn...well, guess what? The later pin connectors on the back of the turn signal assembly - "ain't got no female receiver in the back where pin 71 lives". Why, because your horn contact was on top of the little white plastic pc you'll have to remove, which also has the air bag wires too.
BUT****the wire to the horn, follow it down to it's connector, pull it out and save it for later.
Radio Shack to the rescue - female round pin connector which you will need to add a bit of wire to the pc of the wire/connector that you removed from the horn connector under the turn signal assembly, yellow and black. After proper soldering, on the wire extension and the round female pin connector, you can then stick this in to the hole, which will fit pin 71 when you connect the 86 turn signal assembly, the right side connector harness. Horn will work.

Now the fun part of making the turn signal work. The tab needs to be cut (yes the one you just paid for)down about 6mm, almost to the indented line on the inside of it. Easy to do, simple dikes, small clips, then simply file it straight. The reason for this is so that you get good turn signal function, good horn contact, and your steering wheel makes full contact with the receiver grooves. Test fit this a couple of times, don't go too short. Now you change the spade connector that connects to the horn contact under the pad. Your steering wheel will be taken apart by this time so put it back together and install and enjoy it, it feels great. I opted to use the later rubber surround on the turn signal assembly.

so
airbag removal, you choose your method (www.944S2.com) great info
warning lights snipped
get 86 turn signal assembly
get part from 944online
get round female pin connector
remove late turn signal assembly
*test fit new assembly with new horn contact, fit accordingly, make short adjustments on the tab, just get it level and the horn contact is down*
change female spade connector on horn contact to larger one
put it together.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:20 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice writeup and good info!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'm sitting here wondering if there was any difference between the early vs. late steering column, anyone?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:24 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good information Ski. I purchased the cs968 wheel for my 86 so it should go on without any additional work right?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes, as long as the tab for the blinkers is on the inside. I wonder if Sunset or AJUSA changes or adds that part for early models because my friends 86 went right on too. hmmm, got me think now.
just went to the garage and no way that outside tab will center up and allow the steering wheel to mount.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:04 AM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up Ski, I just wanna know if your airbag still works
Old 02-07-2008, 12:12 AM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been thinking about getting rid of my stock 86 wheel and had been thinking about a 930 three spoke. Where did you get the 968CS, it certainly looks much nicer than mine.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:21 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

air bag is on ebay, steering wheelz(mint) is on ebay, turn signal assembly(2 of them, mint and excellent) on ebay.

I got mine from Sunset, just stumbled on the horn contact browsing 944online looking for a new vac/fuel diagram under the hood, as mine has several cracks in it.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a couple of pms about the tab and the difference, so here are some photos.

The lower horn contact/turn signal stop tab, this is the one that came with mine, see how it's not allowed to be centered, you can barely see the tab against the side on the inside and the next photo will show the tab on the outside.

Here is a clear view of the tab on the outside, which is no good to work with any turn signal assembly.

Now if the tab was on the inside (pointer in the photo) like the link to the part at 944online, this works.

Here you can see the line I was talking about, however a bit different on the new part with the tab on the inside, and the correct size spade connector. Again, the part, which Sunset may have, that I know 944online has will work fine with an 86 assembly. Please understand that the amount that you trim is in relation to the depth that you set the turn signal assembly too: cutting shorter is better, then adjust mounting depth, trim again if needed.

With these steps, it is really easy to do. Could you use a later assembly, yes but you'll have to drill it from the back side and purchase the little copper horn contact that's pictured in the upper right hand corner of the link above. You must still get a round female pin connector to insert into the harness on the back side. I just opted for the 86 assembly and selling my later one on ebay. HTH anyone who was confused. Still confused, open a bottle of Glenlivet tonight, reread same.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what is the process of installing this wheel on an 86?
Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by lejams
Great write up Ski, I just wanna know if your airbag still works
It's now just a nose bag.

Looks very nice Bret, just like a bought one.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:52 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

endless cool stuff with these cars.

now with the coming of winter, we just need a good oilwar.

Quick Reply: My 968CS steering wheel install - long