Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Balance Shaft removal for street use.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 10:06 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balance Shaft removal for street use.

For those with experience, what are your thoughts on removing the balance shafts for a street engine?
Will it effect long term durability ?
Is there more vibration?
Thanks
Old 12-18-2007, 10:10 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way, dude.
Don't do it.
There is only one known street engine in the universe which is said to be smoothe - David Floyd's.
But he is no mere mortal.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:13 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

No experience but you might get some help from these:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/194490-blance-shafts-or-no-balance-shafts.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/318325-how-bad-is-it-without-balance-shafts.html
Old 12-18-2007, 10:21 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

I've ridden in Davids and it feels stock. That's what got me thinking about it.
Yes the attention to detail on Davids car is incredible. I don't like opening my hood when the cars are together.

Thanks for the links!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:22 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

the formula for successful balance shaft removal is this:

replace factory monster alternator with one half the size otherwise it shakes off the block .

Plan to spend very little time at 2800 to 3600 rpm as this is the speed at which its shaky.
next.
next when your distributor cap and rotor self destructs convert to multi coil .
Old 12-18-2007, 10:55 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tconn
For those with experience, what are your thoughts on removing the balance shafts for a street engine?
Will it effect long term durability ?
Is there more vibration?
Thanks
No reason on street car motor and very little reason on a race motor.

All it leads to are problems and gains you what 3 hp.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:01 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it the proper thing to do ? probably not, but I do have 50K miles and counting with zero problems.

I will give Tim @ SFR full credit for the quality machine work on the internals of my engine.

Tim, I have not had time to search for the oilfilter housing I promised you, but I will.

ST, your the immortal one, 600 rwhp, I have yet to bust 400
Old 12-18-2007, 11:24 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

David, I'm in no hurry. Thanks again!

I read through the old threads and there seems to be different opinions, but it looks like that on a stock engine
it would not be a good idea. On an engine that has a lightened, properly balanced bottom end, like David's, removing them would not be an issue.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:47 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tconn
David, I'm in no hurry. Thanks again!

I read through the old threads and there seems to be different opinions, but it looks like that on a stock engine
it would not be a good idea. On an engine that has a lightened, properly balanced bottom end, like David's, removing them would not be an issue.
the real question is, "what will you gain?"
Old 12-19-2007, 05:55 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Don't do it, have a look at Chris Whites website. There is a picture of a fractured oil pick up pipe caused by the harmonics of not having the balance shafts fitted.
David Floyd is the exception, we salute you David, you have proved it is possible. I would not be as brave!!
Old 12-19-2007, 09:52 AM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Ehall, what you stand to gain is less complexity, fewer potential problems and less weight.
After reading Scott Gomes posts on the subject it makes perfect sence as to why you would remove them for an engine that has it's lower end lightened and balanced properly.
I'm not saying I'll do this, because at this point I'm not sure how far I'm going with the new engine.
I'm gathering info so I can determine how far I want to go with the new engine.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:43 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Harmonic balance has nothing to do with static balancing. You can achieve perfect static and dynamic balance and you will still have a harmonic issue – its an inherent part of an inline 4 cylinder design. That larger the displacement the bigger the problem. You will not feel the harmonic issue unless you put your hands on the engine at mid range rpms – then it will feel ‘buzzy’. This is what can cause long term issues – fasteners that back off and metal fatigue in brackets and other items.

Will the parts fail? Not necessarily, some will last just fine, but some won’t. I don’t see the advantage for a street engine.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:07 PM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris White
Harmonic balance has nothing to do with static balancing. You can achieve perfect static and dynamic balance and you will still have a harmonic issue – its an inherent part of an inline 4 cylinder design. That larger the displacement the bigger the problem. You will not feel the harmonic issue unless you put your hands on the engine at mid range rpms – then it will feel ‘buzzy’. This is what can cause long term issues – fasteners that back off and metal fatigue in brackets and other items.

Will the parts fail? Not necessarily, some will last just fine, but some won’t. I don’t see the advantage for a street engine.

^^^^^^^ He knows what he is talking about!
Old 12-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Like Chris White already said--

You can balance everything that rotates down to the microgram, and you still need the balance shafts to have a smooth running engine.

Here is why:

Check how much the piston has moved down in the bore at 45 degrees past TDC. Now check how much the piston has moved up in the bore at 45 degrees past BDC.

You will notice that the numbers are NOT the same.

A casual examination of the piston motion would lead you to believe that piston #1's motion would be counter balanced by piston #2's motion. This is not true, however, as the example above clearly demonstrates.

In my experience, engines without balance shafts constantly have parts falling off.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:33 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris what kind of hp gains did you see when playing around with Paul Bloomberg's 944 NA spec car motor on the dyno? I think it was something like 3 hp when not using the balnace belt.

Quick Reply: Balance Shaft removal for street use.