Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

will a boost controller prevent boost spikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 05:47 PM
krazE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question will a boost controller prevent boost spikes?

i'm upgrading the stock wastegate to the tial 38mm 1 bar, the shop i bought it from recommended a boost controller to prevent boost spikes... i thought only like a fuel cut off or custom chip would do that...
Old 11-17-2007, 07:02 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

its often a trade of between boost spikes and WG creep a good pneumatic system will will fix spikes but electronic is easier (so you pay). you may find you don't need it after the WG uprade do you have a boost enhancer inline thing? if so just back it off 4 psi and your sorted .
you have had boost spikes as you often shut of the signal to the 6psi waste to get 15 or 17 psi so its tricky when to open the signal . but now your within 5 psi of your waste gate setting you should be able to set it up with out EBC the car does have a factory EBC and it's nice to leave it in charge of boost as it will cut it back when it pings there are a few ways to make the factory boost controller
work better.
the factory set up basicly throws a portion of the wastgate signal back in to the j boot so when a the car is runny say 11 psi 5 goes out the J boot and 6 goes to the waste gate so the way to make the boost go up is to put a restrictor in the WG line this way more goes out the J boot but with your 1 bar WG you will probably need a restrictor in the j boot line .
make sure they have a good understanding exactly how the factory EBC works
Old 11-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Accuboost would be your best bet.

boostsciences.com
Old 11-17-2007, 09:00 PM
krazE
Advanced

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
its often a trade of between boost spikes and WG creep a good pneumatic system will will fix spikes but electronic is easier (so you pay). you may find you don't need it after the WG uprade do you have a boost enhancer inline thing? if so just back it off 4 psi and your sorted .
you have had boost spikes as you often shut of the signal to the 6psi waste to get 15 or 17 psi so its tricky when to open the signal . but now your within 5 psi of your waste gate setting you should be able to set it up with out EBC the car does have a factory EBC and it's nice to leave it in charge of boost as it will cut it back when it pings there are a few ways to make the factory boost controller
work better.
the factory set up basicly throws a portion of the wastgate signal back in to the j boot so when a the car is runny say 11 psi 5 goes out the J boot and 6 goes to the waste gate so the way to make the boost go up is to put a restrictor in the WG line this way more goes out the J boot but with your 1 bar WG you will probably need a restrictor in the j boot line .
make sure they have a good understanding exactly how the factory EBC works

Very interesting, thanks!!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had spikes with my manual boost controller. with the electronic, I got nothing.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:49 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ive had no boost spikes with my Lindsey manual boost controller. I think if you have it hooked up correctly w/ a MBC meant for a Dual port wastegate you wont have a problem. Most ive seen that do have problems have a dual port style MBC hooked to a single port WG or vice versa.

i ditched the CV when i did mine as well - no need for two boost controllers fighting each other. I can set mine to 16psi and run it in cold or hot and its always withing 15.9-16.1 range- logged w/ zeitronix w/ a boost sensor.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:01 PM
krazE
Advanced

thanks all. looks like that CV is going bye bye.

Last edited by krazE; 11-18-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Quick Reply: will a boost controller prevent boost spikes?