Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The most stupid thing you've done while working on your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:44 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One time I cranked the engine with the car in gear with the rear wheels on the ground and the front on jack stands...

Lets just say it was close.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:41 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
One time I cranked the engine with the car in gear with the rear wheels on the ground and the front on jack stands...

Lets just say it was close.
Holy Crap!
Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joemis
I once spent about 10 minutes looking for a wrench that I was holding in my hand the entire time!

Joe M.
1989 944S2
LOL....
Old 11-27-2010, 10:39 PM
plyhammer
Pro

spraying too much starter fluid in and actually having the dipstick fly out of the tube, bounce off of the bottom of the hood and then almost smack my brother in law in the face as it went flying out of the garage. His facial expression was priceless though.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:26 PM
n_hall
Racer

i did the classic drop a bolt in the inspection hole. then the set screws on the flywheel broke off. so i ended up doing the clutch in the dead of winter last year.

when replacing the fuel filter i only clamped the inlet hose. when the outlet side finally broke free from the filter i got gas in my eyes, nose, ears, and mouth. i couldn't see, and was blindly spitting in my garage. my mom made me strip down to my boxers before i came inside because of the gas smell on my clothes.

the first time i took my steering wheel off i didn't leave the nut on a couple turns. i got the wheel off and nailed myself in the nose.

i second time i took my steering wheel off.......i did the same thing. you think you'd learn.

and i don't know how many times i hit myself in my face/nose while under it because of a stubborn nut or bolt.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:51 PM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My list is too long, but here are a couple -

I once reinstalled the power steering reservoir too high and put a nice little dent in my freshly painted hood.

I also once installed the clutch release fork backwards...luckily the motor wasn't completely bolted in place when I discovered it, and was able to pull it forward while still on the hoist and pull the bell housing off.

I also once came very close to forgetting to install the ring gear on my new KEP pressure plate. Wouldn't have gotten too far without that.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:53 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Last month I smashed a socket wrench into my nose while tightening a starter bolt. I knew pulling the wrench towards me was a bad idea, but by the time I came to "should I stop before it slips?" it slipped.

I put on a new bandage every day so luckily there's no scar, but my nose still hurts. Most of all I'm thankful my nose is still straight... Then I got a cold and had to blow my nose all the time - that sucked!
Old 11-28-2010, 04:38 PM
boostskillz
Advanced

Originally Posted by joemis
I once spent about 10 minutes looking for a wrench that I was holding in my hand the entire time!

Joe M.
1989 944S2
I don't know how many times I've done that.

Originally Posted by odb812
I worked in a shop and we'd have dumbasses leaving tools under people's hoods all the time. You'd be wandering where the nice speedwrench went and sure enough it would turn back up 2-3 months later.
Yea.... lol, I find tools all the time.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:25 AM
sparkyman215
Instructor

Well the last stupid thing I did was on my E36 BMW. It was pouring oil (think at least a quart every minute). From the location of the leak I assumed it was the oil pan gasket. On that car, to replace the oil pan gasket you have to take off the power-steering rack and front cross-member and unbolt the engine from the motor mounts to lift the engine a few inches so you can have enough clearance to remove the bottom of the oil pan. Did all of that and since I was in there replaced a bunch of stuff (control arms, tie rods, etc) that didn't need to be replaced but did it because I had them off. Get the car back together and it is pouring even more oil from the SAME location. Closer inspection shows that the leak is higher up and actually is the oil filter housing that can be replaced in about a half day and can be picked up used for about 50 bucks.

So I ended up spending close to 500 bucks and multiple days to fix what should have taken me a few hours and chump change because assumed and didn't look close at the problem. I was pretty pissed off at myself when I got all done.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Chunkerz
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this super funny thread, so I thought I'd resurrect it.

The WORST thing I've ever done was to my Golf. I was changing my oil in the middle of the summer, so I was being attacked by moths and mosquitoes and beetles and all sorts of other insects (I ****ING HATE BUGS!!!). I was in a rush to finish because I just wanted to get away from those bugs. Once I was done I unhooked my hanging light thing from the hood and threw it on the ground, closed the hood, hopped in the car, started it, and backed out of my garage as fast as possible to get away for the bugs. I had forgotten that I had wheel chocks behind the rear wheels and when I threw the light the extension cord had gotten wrapped around a mirror. The wheel chocks slid across the garage and left ugly marks the floor. Eventually I managed the run over the chocks and crushed them. The worst part was the extension cord that had wrapped and my mirror got caught on something and ripped my mirror off

The worst thing I've done with my 944 is tear all the vacuum lines out without making a note of where they all went. I didn't figure that it would be that complex. I had to remove the intake 3 times because I kept forgetting to run lines under it or hook stuff up

Quick Reply: The most stupid thing you've done while working on your car?