Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ventilation ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:04 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Ventilation ideas???

I'm looking to provide my car with some more underbonnet ventilation. This is at least twofold. Firstly with the new i/c pictured, there is a chance that we're going to see an increase in heat even though the core is extremely efficient in that regard. Nevertheless with more and more power in this car in the coming months, the water and oil temps will rise. So we want to provide some cool air in to the radiator and some venting a bit further back to provide somewhere for the hot air to escape. As much as I hate to say it but the Lindsey 'Manta-Ray' nosepiece looks the best option to get air straight into the radiator. http://www.lindseyracing.com/mm5/mer...de=944S5HEADER
I am with the majority in thinking that this is not the prettiest part out there, but sometimes function wins out over form. What other similar pieces are out there and what ones do you guys have experience with? The fit and finish is still important as this is still a road car too. Guns has provided some specific info for the best venting of heat out from underneath the hood and I am looking at putting a vent into the new c/f hood. Here are some that we've found ( http://carbontrix.com/ )
and again, any other opinions out there would be appreciated on this and/or anything else to do with cooling to keep the car running better on the track.

EDIT: Just noticed that the 2nd pic is wrong. Ignore please.
Attached Images    
Old 10-04-2007, 07:10 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

re weld the end tanks, move IC higher up, then seperate duct to radiator and ic at bottom, so rad has some 100% free flow to it, doing this + nosepanel duct will allow fresh air into IC as well via nose panel duct, remember it hits the beam and that creates opposite flow/resistance.

then reverse duct hood, 1 scoop down behind ic, and 1 slightly further back behind radiator (968 style)
Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I don't think that there's much room to sit the i'c higher unless by re-welding the end tanks you mean to set them lower, but I don't know if there's much room for this either? I'll have to have a closer look with the panel off. Also I would like to eliminate or minimise the thick bar across the front where the license plate attaches. This would free up a lot of air. I also really want to do away with the lights or at least the motors/attachments and this may allow a different angle for the end tanks.
Are you suggesting 2 hood scoops in the front nose panel or one in the hood itself?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:30 AM
sawood12
Racer

What about having a scoop behind the radiator to take the air that has just travelled through the rad and IC to divert it vertically up in the space between the front of the enigne and back of the rad to exit through some vents in the bonnet. This would improve and increase flow of air through the IC and Rad drastically improving their efficiencies. Currently the air goes through the IC and Rad and has nowhere to go therefore creates a bow wave that restricts the flow of air through the IC and Rad.

You could also replace the stock fans with more modern ones that allow better flow through the fans (as a chap uk has done who's on the PCGB forum - can't recall his name right now).

I like the idea of mounding the IC horizontally where the stock airbox was and making some ducting to take air through it's bottom face and out through some vents in the bonnet, though I think your monster IC is way too big to do this.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:32 AM
LFA951
Drifting

Cut the tag panel out of the middle of the nose like I did on mine and not only will you get more air into the IC, but it will also be visible and stand out, like on the Supras and Evos...
Old 10-04-2007, 10:41 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Check this out. I like the hood vents and the front bumper cut out is what someone else suggested.
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2007, 10:45 AM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

3 ducts in total

1 intake duct in nosepanel
1 exit duct behind IC over front beam in nosepanel/hood (makeing them 1 piece is optimal)
1 exit duct behind radiator in hood.

misc exitducts over headers/engine/intake/turbo is also a very good thing.

apart from that cutting the bumper is very good for flow to it.

and yes, reweld endtanks so they are straight not angeld upwards should let you move it up quite a bit, this needs ofcourse the reworked nosepanel.

also make some ducting to seperate a bit of the airflow of ic/rad at bottom like stock does.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:48 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Hi Scott and thanks for your thoughts. Yes exactly what we're thinking as far as a vent in the hood goes. We're also going to get a custom radiator with better technology and a bit bigger too. Just deciding on what and where re the oil cooler. Seems to be many that have had a good experience with the RX7 setup on Rennlist so I will do some digging.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:50 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LFA951
Cut the tag panel out of the middle of the nose like I did on mine and not only will you get more air into the IC, but it will also be visible and stand out, like on the Supras and Evos...
Pics, pics, pics!!!...please.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:52 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I like the front of the white one very much Dave in terms of the required result!
Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by anders44
3 ducts in total

1 intake duct in nosepanel
1 exit duct behind IC over front beam in nosepanel/hood (makeing them 1 piece is optimal)
1 exit duct behind radiator in hood.

misc exitducts over headers/engine/intake/turbo is also a very good thing.

apart from that cutting the bumper is very good for flow to it.

and yes, reweld endtanks so they are straight not angeld upwards should let you move it up quite a bit, this needs ofcourse the reworked nosepanel.

also make some ducting to seperate a bit of the airflow of ic/rad at bottom like stock does.
Yes, all makes perfect sense. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

im thinking of running some cooling ducts to some other things like my oil cooler etc as well as the brakes. I dont have a large intercooler but i recently pulled my factory IC duct out as it wasnt as effective as i thought. WE'll see how it does w/ the vented nosepan VENTED instead of just for looks. The supra guys used to pull the rear seal from their hood and shim the hood up alittle in the rear- vents air from the rear of the hood- but can also send fumes into the fresh air intake on these cars unless you have all that deleted.
Attached Images  
Old 10-04-2007, 11:10 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Yes I prefer the 924turbo type vents on a looks basis over the Manta-Ray types out there. Did you do them yourself?
Old 10-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have always wondered about cutting out the front plate section of the front bumper, now I know someone has actualy DONE it. Looks good, functions too! Thanks for posting that pic of the white car!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:30 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah i cut up a 924turbo nose and welded them in. I left the stock ducting in for awhile and i dont think it helped- i pulled it out now we'll see how functional the vents are as i was getting some IC heat soak.

Quick Reply: Ventilation ideas???